DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

You saved me the trouble of starting a new thread!

And yeah, being on the ground floor of the Slender Man genesis at Something Awful and actually knowing Eric Knudsen aka Victor Surge as an acquaintance, I sorta hate that Slender Man trailer on his behalf, but at least that shit won't have to try all that hard to be better than Always Watching.

I am cautiously optimistic that Insidious:  The Last Key will be decent.  The review embargo still being up does not fill me with confidence.

Oh, and the awesomness that is Happy Death Day is now available On Demand.

After watching those trailers, it really boggles my mind how people can constantly bungle Slenderman movies.  Normal folk stumble across something they shouldn't, Slendy comes after them and uses them as a pawn for whatever his goals may be; toys with them for a bit and then either the people die or they barely survive.  It's like a slow burning J-horror meets the Cthulu mythos.  Yet that film comes off as a generic horror film that they needed a monster for, spun a wheel and landed on Slenderman.

I'm petitioning DVDVR Films to contact Ti West about making a good Slenderman film.

And fuck truth or dare, it seems like someone said "Let's make Final Destination sans the only good gimmick it had".  Also LOL at Blumhouse using their name recognition to try and buoy that film.  That's a quality carny move right there. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, GojiColin said:

After watching those trailers, it really boggles my mind how people can constantly bungle Slenderman movies. 

I'm also baffled since there are like a million "Marble Hornets Explained" or "EveryMan HYBRID Explained" vids that distill the Slender Man Mythology down to easily consumable draughts. 

I think the problem there is the studios think they know better about the character than the creators and community that helped the gimmick evolve and then bad things happened as a result.

I'm petitioning DVDVR Films to contact Ti West about making a good Slenderman film. 

I would go with either Mike Diva (directed the kick ass Slender Man short, Proxy), Tony Valenzuela from BlackBox TV, one of the THAC guys (I don't hate them for Always Watching.  I hate the studio that tied their hands), or the folks that put this number together (sketchy acting not withstanding, this is a pretty good effort):

In short, use someone who will either do their homework or is a creepypasta geek that will give the material the love and respect that Slendy geeks think it deserves.

It's like a slow burning J-horror meets the Cthulu mythos. 

And because the slower the burn the better, I think the best place for a Slendy related tale is either American Horror Story or Syfy's creepypasta anthology, Channel Zero.

Also LOL at Blumhouse using their name recognition to try and buoy that film.  That's a quality carny move right there. 

Yeah, I noticed in the trailer for Insidious:  The Last Key and the one for Truth or Dare that Blumhouse is now resting on the laurels of The Purge, Get Out, and Happy Death Day to sell their not so good crap instead of being The Producer Who Brought You Paranormal Activity, Hush, and Ouija:  Origin Of Evil.

Speaking of Blumhouse, I watched The Belko Experiment on Cinemax On Demand last week while I was on vacation.  It wasn't as horrible as I expected it to be. Definitely worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do.

I'm still in shock that Blumhouse plans to reboot both Halloween and Spawn sometime soon.

In other Blumhouse news, third location shooting for Glass has started and it is scheduled for a January 2019 release.

Glass will follow Split and Unbreakable and feature the final showdown between David Dunn, Kevin Crumb / The Beast, and Elijah Price / Mr. Glass.

In addition to the Spawn and Halloween reboots, Blumhouse also plans to do a movie adaptation of Five Nights At Freddy's as well as a sequel to Unfriended.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Another Spawn... you gotta be kidding me. Speaking of horror comics, when is somebody gonna do a good version of Faust? They should just get Jorg Buttgereit to direct and have script control and everything will be okay. (Hell, that might work for Spawn, actually)

I would actually love someone to do a movie version of the actual Faust and not some allegorical adaptation.

19 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

The 1926 film directed by Murnau is the closest I've ever seen.

I watched it on YouTube about a year ago and it was totally stunning.

I've heard good and bad things about the 2011 interpretation shown at TIFF, but have never gotten around to watching it.

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I DID get it from the library when I was a kid but never got through it. That's back when I would grab like ten books at a time and get through maybe five. 

This used to happen to me when I was a kid and the local library had a huge selection of Angus McKie sci-fi art books.  I'd try to bring home as many as I could and would only make it through a few of them.

I think I had those books constantly checked out in rotation for close to a year.

Well, now.  I brought my copy of Lake Mungo to work with me and I am afraid that I have ruined the sleep of a couple members of the Future Sim Division staff that left about an hour ago. 

220px-Lake_Mungo_Official_Poster.jpg

The mid-credit scenes totally fucked them up.

This movie has grown on me with repeated viewings.  I didn't particularly care for it the first time I saw it, but I understand and figure out a little more every time I watch it.