DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

3 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Are we really educating people on Tobita here? Isn't Ken The Box the reason why DVDVR exists in the first place? 

DVDVR was around well before Ken the Box

I think y'all forget that conception has occurred beyond 1995

16 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I do rember DVDVR prior to Ken The Box... I just associate DVDVR with Ken The Box more than anything else. ;)

Well that and Lance Storm.

KtB was the mascot put on the t-shirt.

• Like 1

I got some of those SPWC shows from Dean, so for me DVDVR and Tobita are heavily conected.

I'd say more like a poor man's Ryuma Go or Goro Tsurumi, both fought monsters in silly matches.
Come to think of it Ultraman Robin was doing the same thing around 94-95, I actually have some handheld footage from back than of his.

Sorry just love talking about Japanese indies, especially the 90's stuff as there's so much and so much still turning up.
Plus stuff like this shows up from time to time, https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u72904946

These are recodings with Ultraman Robin at the Malenko gym from the 90's.
I could be wrong but I do believe it also features Poison Sawada, have it but not at hand else I'd make sure.

I mean, it's useful (if slightly heelish?) hyperbole: "If the twitter complaints that the initials should stand for No Japanese People Wrestling are true, then it's your fault, actually." And part of me would like to joke that he already gets to tag with Ibushi, why does he need more eye candy? Still, it's not hard to exceed five: The aforementioned Ibushi, SHO, YOH, SANADA, Tana, Ishimori, etc.

But I get it. And no I don't know why I'm actually considering that as if he means it seriously...

So how about that Marafuji/Sugiura match? Pretty obvious finish--if Maru beats your champ, then he's champ, and your champ just lost to their champ, etc.--but I bought in nonetheless.

13 hours ago, Dewar said:

Kenny Omega tweeted today that he can count the number of domestic talent in New Japan that actually use a gym on one hand. Shots fired!

I reckon the amount of domestic heavyweights that couldn't legitimately kick his ass could be counted on as many digits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/12/2018 at 2:48 AM, sevendaughters said:

I reckon the amount of domestic heavyweights that couldn't legitimately kick his ass could be counted on as many digits.

There's rumors of him having a shoot fighting background on small shows under his real name long long ago, so, if that's true, I'd back off on that count. I vaguely recall stories of him being trained in something.

Edit: Turns out, I am right.

After his release from WWE, Smith tried to find a career in mixed martial arts and entered a few Brazilian jiu-jitsu tournaments, before deciding to give professional wrestling one more chance.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/herald/Transconas-Omega-man-294417621.html

6 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Curious what a NJPW Legit Badass Power Ranking would look like. Top three - Suzuki, Cobb, KUSHIDA?

Only one way to find out. NJPW presents... BRAWL 4 ALL

In terms of legit high level backgrounds in pro fighting, it is Suzuki and Kushida. Plenty of the roster were very good to amazing amateur wrestlers. That means nothing now. Cobb and Kenny in theory go on there. Yano and Yujiro were very good amateurs. Nakamura was the toughest when he was there and younger. Nakanishi and Nagata were very high level, but that meant nothing the way they were thrown into fights, plus both are fairly long past anything like that, especially Nakanishi.

The final answer to this question is... Chuckie T! He uh...hmm...it's all that Lucha Libre training he never has to use!

He's still an Olympic level amateur wrestler who isn't old and still does some training. So, he's got that. If you want to go for most badass potential of a guy when they were in their prime. That honor may go to Tamon Honda of AJPW/NOAH of all people. Don't be fooled. He went to 3 straight Olympics for Japan from 84-92 and was a very high level amateur. He just wasn't that great of a pro wrestler for most of the first half of his career.