DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

AJPW is following up a successful Champion's Carnival with a really weak-ass-looking tour. Even the Marufuji defense is a one-match card (Jake Lee's return match *could* make it a two-match card). If Maru and the carnival are bringing any new eyes to the promotion, they're not really striking while the iron is hot.

1st Yokohama Children Hospice Charity Pro-Wrestling, 7/7/2018 [Sat] 17:00 @ Yokohama Radiant Hall in Kanagawa

(1) Super Unique Showdown: Black Tiger VII vs. (to be announced)
(2) Jiu Jitsu Jacket Match: Hikaru Sato vs. Takatoshi Matsumoto
(3) Bodybuilder vs Sumo Superhuman Strength Showdown: The Bodyguard vs. Shogun Okamoto
(4) Demon Mask vs Gifu Stallion Boxing Rules: Kendo Kashin vs. Rocky Kawamura
(5) BACK TO NEW YORK: MEN’S Teioh vs. TAJIRI
(6) Raise Spirit! Wrong Way! Dream Granted: KAI vs. Shingo Takagi

as a rule, I do t get excited by cards w Kendo Kashin, but otherwise this looks like fun.

Guest Edwin

Was listening to this on my way to work and thought it was a good listen:

I'm sure some of you will enjoy it.

I always enjoy listening to an old school gaijin talk about the old AJPW and NJPW days.

Guest Edwin

Just came across this:

I'm not much of gamer and not really a New Japan show, but I'm down for the 90 minute drive to watch Liger live.

Can confirm that AJPW.TV is still adding to their back catalogue. Nothing earlier than 2016, though. Will probably keep up with the subscription through the summer then reassess.

Guest Edwin
51 minutes ago, Control said:

Can confirm that AJPW.TV is still adding to their back catalogue. Nothing earlier than 2016, though. Will probably keep up with the subscription through the summer then reassess.

Have they made any announcements of potentially adding anything from the 70's - 90's at all or are they just adding stuff as they go along?

I know a lot of the best stuff is online everywhere, but I'd love to get HQ streams of all the best stuff from one place.

Also, does anyone know if New Japan plans on adding for more 70's - 90's stuff to NJPW World and is there a way to track their updates?

I believe all pre-split AJ footage belongs to their TV station of the period (imma say NTV, but don’t quote me ok that), so if it ever does show up streaming it won’t be through ajpw.tv.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:21 AM, Edwin said:

Just came across this:

I'm not much of gamer and not really a New Japan show, but I'm down for the 90 minute drive to watch Liger live.

It's an official New Japan show, though it's gonna be a split show due to the UK that weekend.   Kenny Omega competes at that event consistently.   There's a lot of crossover between pro wrestling and fighting games.

I know Naito, Juice, Ibushi,  Hiromu, GoD, Taguchi, Jeff Cobb,  Dragon Lee, Chase Owens all booked as well.   16 total forgot everywhere who is going to be there.

NJPW posted short video interview with Ishimori. Probably it will get released on their English Youtube account too, but it is short so I looked at it anyway to see how it looks. And I was amazed at how they managed to cut and edit Tama's promo so it actually ended up looking okay.

Ntv doesn't own a stake of the new Noah ltd. But owns all the footage of both ltds that showed up on Gplus.

They're not worried about Noah leaving like they with old AJPW. They had a stake of the old bankrupt AJPW ltd to stop them from getting a better channel.

• Like 1

So, I just sorta realized that the age of the superstar freelancer in Japan seems to be over. For a while there you had a large number of big names who were freelancing: Kawada, Tenryu, Suzuki, Sasaki, and Takayama, off the top of my head. It actually seemed like the trend was going to be for some of the biggest names to choose to freelance after being at the top of the card for a decade, rather than getting relegated to the midcard so new guys could see the spotlight. I had to remind myself that Kawada was the Zero-1 World Champion (!?) and that he was in the G1 and the Global League at the end of his career.

Anyway, those guys are all retired, and all of the top guys are locked into contracts, I think. Sure, there are guys like Ishikawa, but I don't think he's the same type of draw as Takayama, for example, and was never the well-established champion of a company. I actually think that's good for fans, in the long run, though I wonder if it's not as good for wrestlers.

Anyway, were any of those post-AJPW Kawada runs any good? I'm sure I must have seen some of it, but damned if I remember.

7 hours ago, Control said:

Anyway, were any of those post-AJPW Kawada runs any good? I'm sure I must have seen some of it, but damned if I remember.

I'm the most devoted of Kawada fans so I feel obligated to be harsher on this period than most seem to be. His Z1 run isn't very good at all---people were into the Sekimoto match at the time but I thought it was dull and Kawada looked bad in it. The title win over Masato Tanaka was better but not great. His performance was actively weak in the NOAH Holy Demon Army Reunion match (this is how you can tell if someone knows their shit: watch this match with them and then have a discussion about who the workhorse of the match was. if they fail to recognize that Akira Taue **IS** this match, and that KENTA is serviceable and the other two are just not up to it, then you know they just looked at the match on paper and decided who who was going to perform to what caliber before the bell even rang. Seriously people not appreciating Taue, whether in his prime or holding it together in late-period brawls like this, is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to puro message board banter). 

If you go back a few years earlier it's a better way to remember Tosh. He was very good throughout the 2005 G1 and crushed it in his dramatic semi-final with Fujita (of all people). He was just never the same after the Feb 2002 Mutoh match and, while I'm glad he finally got his year-long TC reign in 2003-2005, his big matches were almost always routine and played out. Plus, somehow from him, bad selling. His last unimpeachable classic is the TC defense against Hashimoto which I still rewatch every year or so and it holds a special place in my heart as the last great match either guy ever had and how it was a match so good even a bad towel-job finish couldn't hurt it. He has a tag match nobody knows about from, uhhh, 2003 I guess and it's him and Ryuji Hijikata vs Kojima and Kaz Hayashi and it's ridiculously good and should be scoped out if you're a Kawada completist and need to see all his best later performances. I really do think he's the best wrestler I've ever seen it's just hard to watch him at times when you can tell all the injuries had finally piled up to a point even he couldn't work through, and then he started getting skinny and working the same match all the time and you still cut him lots of slack because he's freaking KAWADA but...I guess sometimes I wish he could have altered his style to work around his limitations and stayed a Top 10 In the World-level guy until the end, which is what Akiyama seems to have done and continues to be doing. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Also Marufuji vs Miyahara: best Canry final since Suwama vs Tanahashi? Anybody else watch it yet?

It was great. I can't say "best since..." Because I literally don't know what the last Carnival final I watched was, but I'm sure it was well over a decade ago. 

But as someone that basically came to the CC cold (I watched that show in AJPW.tv from right before it, before that I hadn't watched the company probably since Kawada was holding the Triple Crown) the tournament was pretty good and the finals were excellent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Also Marufuji vs Miyahara: best Canry final since Suwama vs Tanahashi? Anybody else watch it yet?

I loved it. Miyahara is a tremendous ace from underneath—contradictory as that sounds—and Marafuji’s sudden strikes (which sometimes seem like spam) worked perfectly to keep him down/cut him off/finish him.

• Like 1

Marufuji said the walls dividing AJPW and Noah might break down on the Marufuji big show.  Marufuji wants to be a double crown champ and hold the belt Misawa had (Triple crown).

So i decided to throw ten bucks AJPW’s way and watch the 2017 & 2018 carnivals. And what do you lknow but Plex can’t find the videos on the ajpw.tv website in order to watch through my PS4. Of course I can run a hdmi cable from my laptop to tv so it isn’t a massive issue. Just wondering if anybody has a work around that doesn’t involve buying a chromecast.