DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Tv ratings would have to match previous eras or least like NJPW 90's in it's boom era. Newer excutives might also not want wrestling getting good air time, thinking it's low brow in their opinion. 

Anyway back to NOAH, Kaito is going to have matches with Kotoge and Masa and Nakajima eventually, they're the ones they want on top. Along with Go, but Go always been too smug and pretty for fans taste. 2ch thinks the same. 

I know Japanese promotions are said to have largely distinct fan bases--which is a really interesting notion to me, and one I wish was tested/accounted for somehow--but New Japan's Tanahashi-kindled resurgence and subsequent boom ought to suggest that "smug and pretty" is exactly what you want at the top of the card these days. (I mean, Go still isn't the guy for a number of reasons. But.)

Thing is when Go was getting pushed years ago his reactions were the worst compared to others. Plus coming from a time and fan base that wanted very rough escalation wrestling while his style and NOAH was getting somewhat toned down from the Kobashi and Misawa wrestling style didn't do him good. Used to be very dead crowds for basic stuff or even nearly whole matches years ago. But most of those fans left over the years and more finally quit when the Suzuki gun era finished. Jumping off point of sorts.

I used to see hardcores on 2ch and else twink bash Go. He wasn't a draw either for AJP.

Tanahashi and his crew and later on with Okada and Bushiroads money created a new fan base and retained the small hardcore fanbase that got molded into liking the new stuff. NOAH for years was never good at creating a new fan base, or making people stay who left over the years. Only recently the past few years they decided to just create a new one slowly over time. 

There's lot of fans who only watch one fed, while some watch many. Loyalists liking one fed is still common.

Super-J podcast did a fan-vote for year end awards, which I think provides an interesting window into New Japan's general western fandom, since 558 voters is a decent little sample size. Most notable thing, I think, is that Omega remains very popular among whatever demographic this is: Wrestler and favorite wrestler of the year, best tag team, headlined best show, and had the best match.

(I know Golden Lovers didn't have the volume, but they also had 3-4 nearly perfect tag matches, so I think that choice is fine. Ishii winning "best unsung" is weird, in the way that awards based on a perception of underratedness always are. That is, if you win such a thing, can you possibly be underrated? Everyone sings about Ishii, to my ears; but if they mean "best wrestler whom the company will never push as a main eventer" it makes sense.)

Was scannin the thread from the last couple months. This cracked me up.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:43 PM, Oyaji said:

Has Cody Hall progressed at all or is he still a lanky, lumbering oaf? 

On 10/10/2018 at 11:01 PM, BrianS81177 said:

I wouldn't even call him that. A lumbering oaf would be more coordinated than Hall is. Watching Hall work is like what I imagine a 7 foot tall 9 year old trying to wrestle would look like. 

But then - 2 months later

On 12/7/2018 at 4:35 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Has Cody Hall improved since his time as Bullet Club's young boy or is he still as uncoordinated and awkward?

On 12/7/2018 at 8:31 PM, ka-to said:

His 5% improvement has been offset by being 25% more annoying.

It just made me laugh that any time his name comes up the question has to be asked.

Also how did I miss that Fujita Jr. Hayato has cancer. The fucking worst. One of my favorite guys from the last 10 years. I'll have to see if I can find that match he had with Kenoh back in 2012.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2