DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

For more clarification, Hino owns his own gym called Fitness Beauty and he's a personal trainer at it, so that explains what he does with his most of his time.

Iwamoto’s booking has been wonky altogether.

My boy Hino showed up in NOAH today and joined some jabroni faction. Hard to get excited about him tagging with Cody Hall but maybe this will get me watching NOAH?

Some NJPW news:

They are planning to do New Beginning in USA tour with 2 or 3 shows. Supposedly will have guys that won't be booked for Sapporo and Osaka tours and showcase people from LA Dojo. Wonder who'll get heavyweight defence match.

Which reminds me, did any videos appear of their anime expo (or something) show which had Goto/Cobb and Omega/Finlay?

New Japan fan vote for year’s MVP

Kinda shocked to see Jay, and no Okada at all. Hiromu beating out Naito is kinda surprising, but the latter didn’t do much this year, and the injury deservedly generated a lot of sympathy. Also, it’s only one data point, but this certainly wouldn’t suggest there’s any large disillusionment with Kenny. 

I just came on here to ask the peanut gallery if Okada has any chance in hell of going over White at the Dome. Seeing that wonky MVP list kind of answers the question for me. 

Unrelated: anyone know what Scorpio's last match in Japan was? He always did pretty good work in NOAH, even when he got older, put on weight, started doing mostly comedy, inexplicably started wearing a mask in some match, etc. 

As far as outcomes go, Okada/White is the most intriguing on the card because there are strong cases to make for both. Japan has always been the land of slow and steady ascents up the card and, even though Gedo has tended elevate talent upon returns from excursion, the jump from upper midcarder to Top Guy status is a big one that even TEAM NO RESPECT isn't quick to make with pet projects aside from Okada. I am leaning toward Okada winning and getting back most of his mojo in the process. White can come close and pick up a rebound win over somebody like... well shit, Naito will have the IC strap, Ibushi the NEVER, Tanahashi the IWGP, and he's already beaten Omega and held the US title. If White doesn't win, what do they do with him to make sure he doesn't sink back down the card and lose the momentum he's built in 2018? ... Is Jay White going to beat Okada at the Tokyo Dome?

wrestlingdata.com sez Scorp's last match in Japan was for VADER TIME #5 in Shinjuku, 2010. 

Big Van Vader, Scorpio and Jesse White defeated Tatsumi Fujinami, Tamon Honda and Makoto Hashi (22:55 minutes) [Big Van Vader Return Match & Jesse White Japanese Debut Match]

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

New Japan fan vote for year’s MVP

Kinda shocked to see Jay, and no Okada at all. Hiromu beating out Naito is kinda surprising, but the latter didn’t do much this year, and the injury deservedly generated a lot of sympathy. Also, it’s only one data point, but this certainly wouldn’t suggest there’s any large disillusionment with Kenny. 

With Okada my guess would be that majority of fans don't see him as best champion there ever was despite what actual record says and as such not that many people cared about him breaking records. When his story with White (and Tanahashi team-up) started his reactions improved drastically.

With Hiromu, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of Naito fans voted for Hiromu due to his injury. And well, Naito didn't do much this year so even without injury if you are LiJ superfan then you'd probably pick Hiromu who actually did stuff.

The Global League final of Kiyomiya versus Nakajima is starting to pop up all over. I think it's worth a watch, for a few reasons:

1) A 15ish minute main event, that, despite the relative brevity, doesn't overcompensate by being a recklessly violent sprint. I mean, I love recklessly violent sprints. But there's something to be said for a great TV main event, so to speak, that really only has one cleanly executed narrative arc, and is just violent enough. Nakajima kicks really, really hard, after all.

2) Nakajima is just about my favorite guy. I know the Nakamura comparisons are too easy. I know. And yet... he's the prodigy that was always just a bit too bland to be loved, got a weird haircut, became sleazy, and discovered a deep well of elitist scumbag charisma.

3) Kiyomiya is 22 years old, wears green and white, and does a couple Misawa spots. You know where this is going. Or at least, you know where NOAH wants it to go. Might as well get in on the ground floor.

• Like 1