DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Anybody else think AJPW is starting to fall in the trap of main event “epics”? The last 3 or 4 Triple Crown title matches have all been 30+ minutes and they often dragged early in the match. They were all great matches but I think they could’ve been cut down a bit and not lost anything. Specifically, both Kento-Zeus matches apply here. This is the same trap NJPW has fallen into where the main events are still great but almost all of them would be better if they were 10 minutes shorter. I thought AJPW had the sweet spot with 20-25 minutes but these matches have been going LONG recently. Zeus/Ishikawa for example, did not need to go 30 minutes at all.

What do you guys think?

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

I'm very sure it's only recent singles Zeus mains having matches that long.

True but that’s what people said about NJPW at the beginning. Oh, “it’s just Okada  matches going long” but no it ended being a new NJPW main event guideline. It got so bad that New Japan Cup first round matches were going 30. Every PPV main events has to go 30+.

So I just watched some recent AJPW and it was the first I've watched in a very very long time. When did Joe Doering change from bleach blonde muscle guy to the bastard son of Stan Hansen and Barry Windham?

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

So I just watched some recent AJPW and it was the first I've watched in a very very long time. When did Joe Doering change from bleach blonde muscle guy to the bastard son of Stan Hansen and Barry Windham?

few years now but it's only the last couple of years where it doesn't feel like AJPW cosplay

On 11/2/2018 at 3:49 AM, FlaeBlazer said:

Anybody else think AJPW is starting to fall in the trap of main event “epics”? The last 3 or 4 Triple Crown title matches have all been 30+ minutes and they often dragged early in the match. They were all great matches but I think they could’ve been cut down a bit and not lost anything. Specifically, both Kento-Zeus matches apply here. This is the same trap NJPW has fallen into where the main events are still great but almost all of them would be better if they were 10 minutes shorter. I thought AJPW had the sweet spot with 20-25 minutes but these matches have been going LONG recently. Zeus/Ishikawa for example, did not need to go 30 minutes at all.

What do you guys think?

it's not so much that 30 minutes is too long, it's just when you can predict the patterns that things start to become a bit ho hum. The odd flash pin or loss of concentration defeat, whilst not 'pure', can do great little things for psychology. I get the mentality - the audience has paid to see stars, they want to see stars perform more than prelim guys, also the top guys are the workhorses quite often so it makes sense. But part of my own recent light downturn on NJPW is just how rigid the formats are. 10 min opening tag. 10 minute 6 man. 12 minute junior tag. Etc.

Really not sure who Kento has for opponents now. Akiyama, Suwama, Ishikawa, Doering—all good for a fun defence, but none are particularly fresh. There’s Jake Lee, obviously, but they gotta build that up.

Fresh matches they could develop out of the tag league: Odinson, Parrow, Valletta, Tajiri, Soya, and maybe KAI. Wooo.