DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

This is off-topic as hell and I’m relatively new to this forum but I just looked at the old March Madness tournaments here and I was very surprised to see how bad the NJPW guys did there. Okada who I’ve considered to be the very best in the world for several years now never got far in those tournaments. Tanahashi was a complete non-factor. Ishii who has possibly been the most consistently great worker of this decade never got past third round, I think. I audibly laughed when I saw Kenny Omega lost to Miz in 2017 in the quarterfinals. Coming from somebody who’s been down on Kenny recently, he was a fucking machine that year. The only NJPW guy to get respect in those things was Nakamura and he won in 2015. Even NJPW AJ which is the best run of his career didn’t do well in March Madness and then when he jumped to WWE, he suddenly won the whole damn thing.

Can anybody explain what was going on there? I was really surprised when I saw those tournament results. 

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

This is off-topic as hell and I’m relatively new to this forum but I just looked at the old March Madness tournaments here and I was very surprised to see how bad the NJPW guys did there. Okada who I’ve considered to be the very best in the world for several years now never got far in those tournaments. Tanahashi was a complete non-factor. Ishii who has possibly been the most consistently great worker of this decade never got past third round, I think. I audibly laughed when I saw Kenny Omega lost to Miz in 2017 in the quarterfinals. Coming from somebody who’s been down on Kenny recently, he was a fucking machine that year. The only NJPW guy to get respect in those things was Nakamura and he won in 2015. Even NJPW AJ which is the best run of his career didn’t do well in March Madness and then when he jumped to WWE, he suddenly won the whole damn thing.

Can anybody explain what was going on there? I was really surprised when I saw those tournament results. 

The board used to have a very pronounced anti-NJPW bias, especially against Okada and Tanahashi as the alleged main offenders of that style (granted, I wasn't really big fan of either of those guys during that period either).  That has faded over time as 1) a lot of the anti-NJPW ringleaders moved on elsewhere, and 2) NJPW has become more visible and easier to access and so there are generally more people with positive opinions of it around.  I think if we had done March Madness this year, NJPW guys would've done very well.  Okada or Omega probably would've won it.  (Conspiracy theory:  That's why Rippa canceled it.)

Re: Omega vs. Miz:  Omega is naturally divisive, of course, but 2016/early-17 was probably the height of this board's love affair with Miz.  I'm surprised the vote was even as close as it was.

41 minutes ago, EVA said:

(Conspiracy theory:  That's why Rippa canceled it.)

Does Rippa dislike Okada/Omega or NJPW?

Also was contrarianism a big factor in this board’s old anti-NJPW bias? Because that was when NJPW was starting to get really hot in the West and this forum seemed to not be having it.

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

Contrarianism is what we do here, so probably!

Does Rippa have an anti-NJPW thing? Because you seemingly hinted it at it.

Also you were talking about anti-NJPW ring leaders that went somewhere else? Who were they? Where did they go to? PWO? I saw names like El Dragon and Matt D were pretty vehemently against the NJPW guys.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

I honestly don't remember Rippa's feelings on NJPW.  I was just ribbing him on the off chance he scanned this thread.  

Everyone knows he canceled March Madness because he hates us.

Isn’t PWO kinda the sister board to this place? How do they feel about NJPW?

The King's Soul (all star battle)card will have 6 to 7 matches on the card. Card will be announced in Jan, with more feds possible in joining this event. And more freelancers.

They want mixed matches of wrestlers rather than offer matches.

11 hours ago, EVA said:

The board used to have a very pronounced anti-NJPW bias, especially against Okada and Tanahashi as the alleged main offenders of that style (granted, I wasn't really big fan of either of those guys during that period either).  That has faded over time as 1) a lot of the anti-NJPW ringleaders moved on elsewhere, and 2) NJPW has become more visible and easier to access and so there are generally more people with positive opinions of it around.  I think if we had done March Madness this year, NJPW guys would've done very well.  Okada or Omega probably would've won it.  (Conspiracy theory:  That's why Rippa canceled it.)

Re: Omega vs. Miz:  Omega is naturally divisive, of course, but 2016/early-17 was probably the height of this board's love affair with Miz.  I'm surprised the vote was even as close as it was.

Short version. People are dicks and didn't watch good things or want to enjoy them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Short version. People are dicks and didn't watch good things or want to enjoy them.

Yeah, reading those threads and it seemed like a lot of those guys hadn’t even watched the NJPW matches and were voting against them out of pettiness because they hadn’t liked the small amount they had seen instead of ya know doing the rational thing, and abstaining from the vote if you haven’t seen enough work from one of the wrestlers.

So apparently DDT Sumo Hall and AJPW headlined by Kento vs. Zeus are airing head to head... Whew.

I’ve never really paid attention to DDT shows. I’ve watched a few matches that are acclaimed but that’s really it. Is this card considered to be great? CIMA vs. Takeshita interests me as I love CIMA and I’ve heard lots of good things about Takeshita. But what about the rest of the card, any must-watches? Is the main event expected to be great? I don’t really know what to expect because if I’m correct, Danshoku Dino is a comedy wrestler, right? Has he done great serious work before? Anything else? I won’t be able to see the show in full so I’m wondering. I see that DDT is airing it free only for live viewers so I plan to set my alarm to wake up on time for the must-see matches.

20 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Yeah, reading those threads and it seemed like a lot of those guys hadn’t even watched the NJPW matches and were voting against them out of pettiness because they hadn’t liked the small amount they had seen instead of ya know doing the rational thing, and abstaining from the vote if you haven’t seen enough work from one of the wrestlers.

All joking aside, that's really why Rippa killed it.  The whole point of the tourney was to expose people to great wrestling that they might not have been familiar with (shit, I got into modern NJPW because of Madness).  You watch enough videos to have an informed opinion, then you vote.  But over time, it just turned into everybody voting exclusively for the stuff they were already familiar with while almost bragging about their biases and how they didn't watch some of the other stuff.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EVA said:

All joking aside, that's really why Rippa killed it.  The whole point of the tourney was to expose people to great wrestling that they might not have been familiar with (shit, I got into modern NJPW because of Madness).  You watch enough videos to have an informed opinion, then you vote.  But over time, it just turned into everybody voting exclusively for the stuff they were already familiar with while almost bragging about their biases and how they didn't watch some of the other stuff.

This is why we can't have nice things.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The penultimate one... I let that shit get to me. It sounds ridiculous but I had to let go of that desire to share. It bummed me out on the board for a pretty long while.

Can you elaborate? I wasn’t around for it obviously. I think 2016 was the 2nd to last one. How did it get to you?

I wasn't watching NJPW at the time. I know I voted Miz several times because he was legit great that year even if just for the Ziggler feud. Always thought it was weird though NJPW didn't fair better then. Figured the board would have preferred it.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The penultimate one... I let that shit get to me. It sounds ridiculous but I had to let go of that desire to share. It bummed me out on the board for a pretty long while.

I'm still salty as fuck about Emma versus Seth Rollins.