DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

5 hours ago, D.Z said:

Very weird to see considering the Gaijins are the ones being catered to now. Also leave one soon to be overly micro managed fed for another aka WWE? They did try to work fans last time when Harold reportedly "tried" to change the tone.

Assuming this is real, Natives not happy would more likely to leave and start a new fed rather than go to lower paid Feds where they might not even be in the top slot.

I could see Omega especially working for Impact since they seem to primarily run out of Canada now (and he has a good relationship with Callis). Or maybe they would sign on with ROH full time (though that would probably kill ROH's relationship with NJPW). Unless Omega, the Bucks and some of their friends decide to try and start their own promotion (which would be ballsy but would probably fail)

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I sure hope he doesn't use his dad's finisher in that case.

I don't know about know, but I'm pretty sure he has before.

Meij has a blog post on the New Japan website addressing these rumors and says Meltzer got the wrong person/job title (Kraven being the head of Talent Relations). He basically repeats what Tama Tonga said on Twitter, but more executive-like.

Same guy who posted that also posted this:

I work in Tokyo as a recruiter and know the guy they’re talking about, Michael Craven at Hays, a rival recruiting company. I phoned him up and he’s still working there. Apparently he’s been getting loads of hate mail and death threats...

I don’t know wtf is going on whether Kevin Kelly said the wrong name on Monday or if there’s two Michael Craven’s in Tokyo. But Meij is right

You know, reddit and all that so take it with a grain of salt, but if it is true then its kinda fucked up. Might be that Dave thought that he got a big story here so he jumped on it without double or triple checking it.

If this was a negotiation tactic by certain group then I think it is safe guess that it is likely to backfire.

Edit: my post fucked up for some reason, second quote is my thoughts.

Check out Nakajima/Sugiura from NOAH’s Junior League Finale. (The match for which the snow is named is only pretty good, but has a really impress finish.) Old Surly Elbow Man versus Young Sleazy Kick Man... that’s basically it! Some pointless ref stuff and a half-assed weapons stuff aside, it’s just a great combo of high-end (probably reckless) striking and character work. 

Supposedly Dave dropped more stuff about NJPW's problems. I don't listen to him so I'm basing this on second hand information, but it sounds very, very weird. From what I understood he completely ignored Craven situation, didn't say anything new just same things reworded, practically admitted that The Elite are unhappy. And well that would be ok, but then supposedly he brought up Tama Tonga as being one of the unhappy people? Guy who is now defending NJPW's management, whose push started during G1, who got big worked angle about being out of control and getting disciplined? Like, what?

It might all be true in the end, but it does sound very strange to me.

Slight change of direction: who SHOULD leave NJPW for relatively greener pastures? I feel like Makabe has run his course as an established NJPW guy. He'd almost for sure be taking a payout but NOAH or AJPW could certainly use him on top whereas NJPW will never need him as anything beyond NEVER champion again. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Goto, Yoshi-hashi, and Yujiro. 

I wonder about all three of these guys. My first impulse is to say that Goto would be an instant main-eventer in AJPW or NOAH, but on second thought I'm not sure--the stigma of NINE failed challenges for the IWGP title might be so thoroughly stuck to him that other companies would be wary of having him actually win their top belt.

And as much as I like YOSHI-HASHI, I suspect he'd be the YOSHI-HASHI we know now wherever he ended up. Same for Yujiro minus the liking him part.

I've always thought Goto would be perfect for AJPW.  He ticks all their boxes.  

You have to wonder, being Tomohiro Ishii, that all the times fans, critics and even announcers praise you as being one of the truly best in the world, the company you work for still sees it a bit differently, so it's not unreasonable to mull over the idea that there may be better scenarios for you out there.