DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

There are not appropriate thread for this I think so I'll post it here:

Done straight after Dominion, but uploaded only now. I guess since G1 is over it is time to start building other programs. Some highlights for those that are too lazy to watch it:

1. Explains how it was due to his experience that he decided to kick Naito in the balls. Sometimes I wonder how wrestlers manage to tell such things with straight face. I guess they would be good politicians.

2. Pretty much confirms that Jericho/Evil and Jericho/Naito || are going to happen. I think it is likely that he'll do either a run in or a video on Evil during Destruction tour. Unless you know, he is doing that Jericho thing when what he says is opposite of what he means.

Really enjoyed the last 5 matches of the AJPW show from 26/8

- Jun Akiyama & Yoshitatsu vs. Sweeper (Jake Lee & Ryouji Sai)
- Kento Miyahara vs. Yuji Hino
- All Asia Tag: NEXTREAM (Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi) (c) vs. Axe Bombers (Isami Kodaka & Takao Omori)
- AJPW World Junior Heavyweight: Atsushi Aoki (c) vs. Koji Iwamoto
- Triple Crown: Zeus (c) vs. Shuji Ishikawa

arena is really interesting and it's a shame that there are a lot of empty seats, if people had just moved forward then it would have really ruled. main event very good, if a touch long.

edit: I see you have already talked about this.

It doesn't look like the title is on the line, though it's still interesting that Morishima's jumping right up the pecking order, and that NOAH appears to be willing to work with him. They need names, of course, but I've always read that there are some hard feelings about his initial retirement. 

Anyway, more good NOAH news: They drew 6285 for Marafuji's anniversary show. Far, far from golden era attendance, but the best they've done in a while, I think. I'd recommend watching the final two matches on the card. KENTA was announced as Hideo Itami, but the crowd didn't care, and he fit right back into place. They take more time between spots than they used to, and spend some time laying around in holds that don't matter a ton; but when they get going, it's still pretty damn cool. Stiff strikes, apron bumps, you know what this is.  

The semi-main was just as good. Aoki/Akiyama versus Harada/Sugiura, and worked like the best unbalanced tags of the promotional wars era. You also know what this is, honestly. A grumpy old legend and his never-quite-was protege, versus the junior and heavyweight ace of their former company. Everyone has something to prove, and they bring it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

Really enjoyed the last 5 matches of the AJPW show from 26/8

- Jun Akiyama & Yoshitatsu vs. Sweeper (Jake Lee & Ryouji Sai)
- Kento Miyahara vs. Yuji Hino
- All Asia Tag: NEXTREAM (Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi) (c) vs. Axe Bombers (Isami Kodaka & Takao Omori)
- AJPW World Junior Heavyweight: Atsushi Aoki (c) vs. Koji Iwamoto
- Triple Crown: Zeus (c) vs. Shuji Ishikawa

arena is really interesting and it's a shame that there are a lot of empty seats, if people had just moved forward then it would have really ruled. main event very good, if a touch long.

edit: I see you have already talked about this.

Max fills up to 2,162. But they drew 1,310 fans. If they were allowed to use Sumo Hall they would had drawn 6000 plus.

Some would think he is better than Kenta at this point. But now he has adopted a more heelish personality.  He did won the GHC hw while back.

Still, I don't think he will be the ace. NOAH bookers obviously want Kaito as the main Ace.

Nakajima has been in NOAH for a long time now, and in my opinion he was becoming a bit stale, as talented as he was.  Then, he recently turned heel and now he has fully embraced the inner sadistic prick which was always looming underneath the surface.  Complete with cheesy moustache, no less.  I'm intrigued again.  

Kudos to Shingo Takagi for finally making the move out of Dragon Gate.  Long overdue.  I'm also really hoping he's bound for All Japan, perhaps some Big Japan, and other like-minded promotions.  

Eh, puro Twitter thought AJ and NOAH were working together or merging because of Marufuji's appearance in the CC and some errant comment that the was breaking down walls or something. Maybe this Morishima take is 100% accurate but I take everything I hear through that channel with a massive grain of salt.

edit: am reading that he was diagnosed w arthritis.

20 hours ago, Control said:

Eh, puro Twitter thought AJ and NOAH were working together or merging because of Marufuji's appearance in the CC and some errant comment that the was breaking down walls or something. Maybe this Morishima take is 100% accurate but I take everything I hear through that channel with a massive grain of salt.

edit: am reading that he was diagnosed w arthritis.

Yup. Foot surgery for a 40-year-old big man seems the kind of thing that could end--rather than delay--his comeback. A shame.

• Sad 2

That sucks. I was so goddamned hype for him to come back. Hope he gets it sorted.

What's everyone here watching these days? I started getting back into puro and have been devouring some DDT. I've not  a super fan of New Japan, so I was wondering what smaller companies are putting on good stuff.

All Japan was my favorite during the Mutoh era, and when the split happened I pretty much checked out of puroresu in general. 

I watched KENTA/Marufuji from a couple weeks ago and that was good. Not their best obviously, but I'd still watch those two fight any time.

I wouldn't go that far in calling AJPW the last of heavyweight puroresu when Big Japan has had beefy guys clotheslining the shit out of each other for a decade plus now. 

There is too much to watch, so I sign up for all of the streaming services bar a few (DG's is way too expensive) and rarely use them. I enjoy All Japan whenever I watch it but I don't watch it enough. BJW is fun and there's a lot of crossover between them and AJPW. DDT is my favourite promotion in Japan outside of New Japan due to its eclectic nature. But really I watch more Euro and NA indies than Japanese promotions at this stage, though I try to watch the hyped stuff. Alan4L hasn't updated his MOTY list since the end of July and Voices of Wrestling isn't as list-happy as they used to be too sadly. However, they have a match of the month list that's usually done one month later. 

Miyahara vs. Zeus from the motm list is really, really good.