DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Yeah, no Ishimori is a question mark.  Honestly, there were enough matches on the Destruction tour that you could've done an eight man tourny, keeping the dates for the semi's/finals intact.  I'm guessing we're heading toward Ospreay or KUSHIDA vs. Ishimori at Power Struggle.

During the presser, it was clarified that they chose the last four non-Hiromu junior champions to decide the next one. If you go back further, you land on Kenny, and then Taguchi, neither of whom are viable--though for opposite reasons. I'm still not sure why that's the framework they applied though, especially considering Ishimori's G1-mandated absence halted his initial momentum. The only thing I can think of--that @Archibald mentioned in the Destruction thread--is that they're saving him for a big match or two later, and Kushida or Ospreay would be very safe, comfortable landing spots.

Unrelated goof post:

ilikejason is my favourite goofball YouTuber and this is one of his best memes.

P.S. Taichi's heavyweight push at the start of the year was my favourite subplot/undercard dealings in forever. The BOSJ/G1 so close together and his UNJUST exclusion from the latter really stalled his momentum.

• Like 3

Assuredly. We'll always have TAKATaichiMania.

Watched the ending of the DDT show with the title switch from last week. It was surreal to see Jason Kincaid A) without his locks, this is a better look and B) wrestling with Shuji Ishikawa. What a world we live in. Dino was crying after winning the title. It was a nice moment for him. I also enjoyed how honorable Meiko was in refusing to cash in on a fatigued and beaten down Irie before Dino strolled out with his silly (in a good way) gauntlet with no reservations about being opportunistic. Another nice touch was instead of playing dead for 10 minutes after the successful cash-in, Irie was irate. He attacked Dino after the Gedo Clutch and threw chairs at Dino until he was forcefully removed from the scene. Meiko looked like she was doing her damndest not to laugh at points during the post-match-post-match confrontation with Dino.

Btw, if you're subscribed to Universe, they revamped the site and want you to reset your password. Using google translate, it's not a difficult task.

Btw btw, The show was titled "Maji Manji" (manji is the Buddhist swastika) translates just to Serious Swastika with Google Translate. Also, Maji Manji is basically the kids' way in Japan of saying "lit".

zzmr9oei974uerttn8y1.jpg

csvo243vvtu0vd67w6z3.jpg

Assuming it was on one of their cards, this would be the first intergender match in NOAH, wouldn't it? Akira Hokuto was technically in two All Japan matches in 2004, and Chyna wrestled in New Japan in 2002, but there haven't been any "Big 3" intergender matches since, have there? (Whether NOAH is "big", notwithstanding.)

More NOAH things:

For wrestling fans of a certain age/demographic (*raises hand*) KENTA/Marufuji wrestling, with those three present, is really impossible to resist. There's no nostalgia quite like when you're just getting old enough for nostalgia. (I guess the real news aspect would be that Morishima has mended this particular bridge at least a little bit.) 

It's also fun to see who on WWE's roster is excited about this match, but my favorite is just Tyler Breeze tweeting Kennttaaaaaaa.

• Like 2

Well it's just his thing. Zeus loves old AJPW.  He mentioned the same thing while facing Kento for the belt for the first time  years ago. While Kento prefers to use the Pro-westling label over the Royal Road label and only cares about the future. The company itself only uses the term Royal Road for the tournament and few wrestlers. 

Really another ideology war similar to Nakamura Strong Style vs Tanahashi Showman Style.

Plus he has actual royalty bloodline. So they decided to work that in for some reason.

His frame and less than graceful movements remind me 100% of Batista. His moveset has more in common from what I've seen with jacked up Americans than Oudou pillars imo. Don't see the Steiner comparison myself.