DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

This is pro-wrestling, damnit. Let's try some bad ideas.

* Run the entire G1 Tag League as a heavy/junior shebang and bequeath the winning lil' guy with the belt

*Brawl For All 2 - MMA tournament with NJPW's top four juniors and DEEP's top four 155'ers. Don't invite KUSHIDA.

*Wait until Jado heals up.

*Shotgun it back to Ospreay.

• Like 1

If we get 3 Destruction shows again then they can easily have 8 man tournament with first Destruction show having 4 singles matches, second one with semi-finals and last one with finals. Easy. And gives some rest to heavyweights most of whom probably are already banged up pretty bad.

I was looking at 2003 AJPW results on Purolove and it’s astonishing the numbers they were supposedly pulling for absolute dogshit cards.

for example: 

AJPW, 23.02.2003 (PPV)
Tokyo Nippon Budokan
15,800 Fans
 - Super No Vacancy

1. Gran Hamada & Taichi Ishikari besiegen Masanobu Fuchi & Spriggan (11:53)nach dem Hama-Chan Cutter von Hamada gegen Spriggan.
2. Extreme Blade besiegt Super Dragon (8:09) mit dem Bring the House Down.
3. Elimination Match: Tomoaki Honma, Kazushi Miyamoto, Sanshiro Takagi Dramatic Dream Team& Tomohiko Hashimoto Dramatic Dream Team besiegen Shigeo Okumura, Hideki Hosaka, Yuto Aijima & Ryuji Hijikata (24:33). Hijikata eliminierte Hashimoto mit einem Face Kick (9:54). Miyamoto eliminierte Aijima mit einem Wakigatame Cutback Cradle (15:30). Hosaka & Takagi flogen über das Top Rope (16:29). Honma warf Hijikata über das Top Rope (18:38). Honma eliminierte Okumura mit einem Rolling Elbow (24:33).
4. The Gladiator besiegt Nobukazu Hirai (8:57) mit einer Diving Body Press.
5. Genichiro Tenryu, Yoji Anjo & Kaz Hayashi besiegen Big John Tenta, Gigantes & Jimmy Yang (15:12) nach einem Avalanche-Style Final Cut von Hayashi gegen Yang.
6. Satoshi Kojima, Arashi, Nobutaka Araya & Kendo Kashin besiegen Shinjiro Otani ZERO-ONE, Masato Tanaka ZERO-ONE, Kazuhiko Ogasawara ZERO-ONE & Ryouji Sai ZERO-ONE(20:06) nach einer Lariat von Kojima gegen Sai.
7. Triple Crown: Shinya Hashimoto ZERO-ONE besiegt Great Muta (c) (20:09) mit einem Vertical Drop Brainbuster - Titelwechsel.

Is Ishii one of the five most deserving guys to never get an IWGP run? I want to say the top four are obvious - Minoru Suzuki, Hirooki Goto, Hiroshi Hase and Don Frye (don't scoff - challenged three times, was Inoki's last opponent, took every scalp). Ishii's probably a better pure worker than all of them or any of the other midcard types he'd be argued against.

I'd put Ishii *way* ahead of Goto as far as deserving guys that never got a big run.  Goto's clock ran out years ago and his stoic warrior act doesn't really connect, not the way Ishii's die hard bomb thrower has.  Ishii is that much needed but under utilized "solid hand" role that makes everyone he's in the ring with look like a superstar while always projecting that he can win any match he's in.  I don't count MiSu because while he's out of Gedo's push range, he's had Triple Crown and GHC runs, so he's had the big belts.  Not NJ's, but he's had that Triple Crown when AJPW was still solidly top end.

• Like 1

There need to be great, maybe even deserving wrestlers that never hold your title if you really want it to mean something. But while I know that... Ishii, man. I know he won’t beat Kenny at KOPW, but twenty minutes into the match, I’ll believe it—probably even want it.

Ishii’s such a great case for these kinds of discussions, though. Like: has anyone reached and held a higher peak after genuinely starting their ascent later? Where does he (will he?) rank among best to never win any world title? 

That said, I wouldn’t be totally shocked to see him get an ROH title as gold watch at some point. Not THE world champ, but a world champ, at least. Though while I’m fantasy booking, let’s imagine we could get tournament Ishii twice in one year (though he might not survive it) with him winning the Champion’s Carnival against AJPW’s hoss brigade, winning the TC, then dropping it to Kento after a short run. (I know New and All Japan aren’t working together, but.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Control said:

I was looking at 2003 AJPW results on Purolove and it’s astonishing the numbers they were supposedly pulling for absolute dogshit cards.

for example: 

The Muto effect hadn't worn itself out yet and also they did outright lie about attendances all the time. Of note, The Amazing Red and Elix Skipper on the card(Spriggan and Extreme Blade) as well as Super D.

So DDT did some stuff at the Tokyo Idol Festival on Friday and it included Maki Ito (she is so great at non-wrestling stuff, the psycho ex-idol gimmick is probably the best thing, and as far as TJP girls go isn't terrible in-ring) getting her head shoved up Dino's bare ass and idols using toy hammers to hit wrestlers in the balls. We also got the Dramatic Dream Bike making an appearance and Takagi doing a ladder dive through a table. It'll be uploaded onto Universe tomorrow. Uh, yeah. DDT's serious wrestling is usually enjoyable enough but I'm still gladly paying for Universe for this kind of dumb shit.

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

NJPW/ROH MSG supercard goes on Pre-sale tomorrow.

@Pete@Rev Ray, you in?  

I believe so, yeah. Ray's buddy Steve is in too and I have a good 6-7 months to arrange the yard pass. :P

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I believe so, yeah. Ray's buddy Steve is in too and I have a good 6-7 months to arrange the yard pass. :P

Awesome.  DVDVR dinner meet up at BonChon!

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

NJPW/ROH MSG supercard goes on Pre-sale tomorrow.

@Pete@Rev Ray, you in?  

I just love how you automatically assume there is no way I can go

(BTW - there is probably no way I can go unless I find a sugar daddy)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

Do we have any idea on when Jericho will be defending his IC title? I haven’t heard any mention of him on future NJPW cards.

Nope. Though the G1 finals frequently has a big return or announcement of some kind, so we may after this weekend.

8 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Nope. Though the G1 finals frequently has a big return or announcement of some kind, so we may after this weekend.

Yeah, will definitely be interesting where he goes next. I know EVIL confronted him but it would be fun to see Ishii take the title to ride this momentum from the G1.