DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

I need help finding the name of a local Japanese promotion that runs/ran shows outside at shopping centers, carnivals, etc. Sorry for the ambiguity. I remember videos circulating around here about 3 years ago. I remember them running a show in a shopping district that had a bunch of brick-ed steps. 

Help

5 hours ago, ka-to said:

Big Japan has a Shopping Street 6 man tag title. It is not unusual for any company in the summer. K - Dojo had a show outside of Chiba Marines baseball stadium prior to a game this week.

Nah, it wasn't BIG Japan, it was a super no name company in Japan.

So, at yesterday’s AJPW show, the Maltese wrestler Gianni Valletta pinned Suwama after hitting him with a chain-wrapped lariat following a ref bump.

How is the US-style cheating going over in NJPW? Because AJ fans seem to have no reaction whatsoever. I’m sure the hope is that it’s so infrequent that they’d hate it, but they just seem to roll their eyes.

Also: if Ishikawa is the next TC challenger, then I’m leaning toward Zeus winning at the end of the month. Kento v Ishikawa is always a good time, but we’ve done it recently, and this year too.

Just now, Control said:

How is the US-style cheating going over in NJPW? Because AJ fans seem to have no reaction whatsoever. I’m sure the hopes is that it’s so infrequent that they’d hate it, but they just seem to roll their eyes.

In NJPW, like a Crockett crowd, depending on the guy.  And they're more forgiving if it's progressing an overall narrative (Like the BGOC stuff)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KidKash202 said:

Thanks @Kevin Wilson

I went to your PuroCentral page and looked at the Small-Indies section and found the Group I was looking for

Pro-Wrestling SHI-EN - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/shien0321/videos

Ha severely out of date I am sure, I used to have a guy that sent me all the details for those smaller promotions but I don't think I've heard from him since 2012 or so.

Big DAVE good on Dragon Gate in this week's WON, an excerpt

There has been a lot of upheaval in the company in recent months. Cima, its signature star for years, left as a part of a promotional split taking several wrestlers with him, notably T-Hawk for the Oriental Wrestling Entertainment company based in Shanghai. Takashi Okamura, who has run the company since 2004, left in May citing health reasons. Some believe that this decline really shows how important Cima has been to the company for all these years.

There had always been issues between Okamura, who favored the conservative approach, and Cima, who wanted to expand outside of Japan. Back in October, it was first reported that Okamura had health issues and would be retiring soon. Okamura announced he was leaving on 5/7 and that Toru Kido would be the new president and Executive Director. He’s now running the company with Masato Yoshino, who is the current Open the Dream Gate champion and maybe the most popular wrestler in the company, along with Yoshiyuki Saito and Takyuki Mori.

Interest is down for a few reasons. The booking is said to be in a rut and Cima and his group leaving was a big blow. It meant all the plans for the year had to be changed and the way they did it turned a lot of fans off. There was no announcement even made about Cima leaving. Normally you’d have a press conference but there was just a vague announcement and then four key guys were suddenly on Twitter listed them as OWE wrestlers and nobody from Dragon Gate mentioned them, except Shingo Takagi doing an anti-establishment gimmick.

Management realizes it needs too be more open but we’re told the damage was done to a section of the fan base because Cima was that important and the damage was bigger than when Ultimo Dragon and the crew had their split in 2004. Overall house show business is down, but not weak and sponsorships are strong but the key is to hope the current stars can keep things at this level until the younger guys are ready to take over and hope than one or more catch on.

Read about this in a more in-depth article from Voices of Wrestling here once I noticed that their Kobe World Hall show had come and gone. Doesn't sound great for the long term prospects of the company because creating new stars is something they've really struggled with. If this leads to more Shingo freelancing, as in his departure from the company, that would be a huge silver lining though. 

When I first got into Japanese wrestling, Toryumon and Cima were among my favourite things about the scene. The style is a bit too ADHD for me these days but I still dabble from time to time to see what's going on and what their best work is. Big R seems like somebody I could really get behind.  And speaking of Dave and DG, I get that he has to watch a billion hours of wwe tv a week and njpw so there's only so many hours in a day but I am surprised that he doesn't find time for the bigger DG show because he loves athleticism and moves. Seems like his cup of tea and then some. 

Random comment and this is here because I haven't warched today's G1 show yet: I know I've been consuming too much G1 when I have an awful nightmare that YOSHI-HASHI beat Omega for the IWGP title in a fucking battle royal. YOSHI-HASHI, you're tearing me apart. It was honestly a fate worse than death guys and was so relieved when I woke up and it wasn't the case. I never remember dreams outside of the ones my mind does its best to fuck with me. 

• Haha 2