DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

I am okay with short-term reigns by legitimate hard-asses. He was an upper-level sumo (sidebar - I love sumo) and the whole deal was set up to put Nagata over big (and give Tenzan some shine too). The deeper we get into the 'match quality as king' era then it looks more bizarre but I'd defend it as a choice. Even if they barely drew flies to the big return match and nearly crashed the company into a ditch. Lot of weird stuff going on then but when you try and judge it as an artistic choice made in light of the ways companies were having to change against PRIDE et. al. it makes a strange sense.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:52 AM, Ryan said:

In terms of legit high level backgrounds in pro fighting, it is Suzuki and Kushida. Plenty of the roster were very good to amazing amateur wrestlers. That means nothing now. Cobb and Kenny in theory go on there. Yano and Yujiro were very good amateurs. Nakamura was the toughest when he was there and younger. Nakanishi and Nagata were very high level, but that meant nothing the way they were thrown into fights, plus both are fairly long past anything like that, especially Nakanishi.

Thank you for reminding me of Toru Yano: hot amateur prospect and the confusion accompanying his subsequent career path.

He wasn't a good wrestler, they had to think of something, they eventually got there. The heel stuff was also fun for awhile and hid his flaws.

Yano's gimmick is a part of a long tradition of dye-job brawler midcard heels, started way back when by Umanosuke Ueda. When Yano debuted I think Hiro Saito and Tatsutoshi Goto (dye-job heels themselves) were on the roster. I haven't seen a ton of undercards from that era but I assume Yano's ring work wasn't clicking so he got a similar gimmick. I remember Yano had a long DQ streak and would come to the ring with an umbrella and a bottle of sake, and that Ueda was name-checked a lot during Yano matches.

In a weird way, EVIL would be the most recent in the lineage.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, Yano played a lush? Did he bring a bottle of whisky with him to ringside or what?

Yano carried a big bottle of sake to the ring. When New Japan did the northeast tour with Jersey All Pro I was called upon to find a bottle for him in Rahway, NJ. I knew Witty's would have one and made it back to the Rec Center in 15 minutes.

• Like 1

If I recall he occasionally forced his opponents to drink said sake.

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

In a weird way, EVIL would be the most recent in the lineage.

I have never seen an EVIL match, but every time I see a picture of him I think the son of TARU.

I'd think it's the first step in a rather inevitable NXT Japan deal, similar to what they're (very slowly) building in the UK; although I guess it's possible they're just doing Itami a favor, and letting him return for Marafuji's anniversary show.

2 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Dave doesn't supply any details other than Itami working a Noah show, which one assumes is the Marafuji anniversary show. If that is all he's basing his claims of a working agreement on, that seems very flimsy.

true but at the same time it IS a working agreement, just a very small one and not the kind that might see us lead to a WrestleWar 2022 type situ

5 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

true but at the same time it IS a working agreement, just a very small one and not the kind that might see us lead to a WrestleWar 2022 type situ

If that is all it is, I'd say most likely Itami just asked if he could work his buddy's anniversary show and they agreed.

If you actually look up the name of most of Yano's moves, they're all named after Sake. Also, Marufuji and KENTA didn't always get along very well. That could have been kayfabe or gone away over time.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:24 PM, ka-to said:

Yano carried a big bottle of sake to the ring. When New Japan did the northeast tour with Jersey All Pro I was called upon to find a bottle for him in Rahway, NJ. I knew Witty's would have one and made it back to the Rec Center in 15 minutes.

I remember we could smell that sake all the way up in the bleachers after he used it. @Rev Ray and I were trying to figure out where in Rahway they would've found some for him...

On 6/23/2018 at 6:44 PM, Pete said:

I remember we could smell that sake all the way up in the bleachers after he used it. @Rev Ray and I were trying to figure out where in Rahway they would've found some for him...

Witty's on St. Georges Ave is a good store to hit if you plan on some beers in the parking lot at Rahway Rec Center.?

I hadn’t realized how tall Jake Lee is. He’s like Pretty Boy Takayama. I actually like Sweeper, but that’s an awful stable name, and they gotta do something about Lee’s sea foam-green and glittery silver gear.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:02 PM, sevendaughters said:

probably. I am willing to bet there's a little more to it and KENTA is the canary in the cage, as it were, quietly throwing a blanket over the portrait of Misawa when the subject of NXT Japan comes up.

Yeah - I agree with seven on this one that circumstances happen to lineup where they could do Itami a solid AND float a trial balloon too

It isn't the worst thing in the world to start letting more NXT guys work the the guys under UK contracts. Where they can work other feds that have friendly relationships with.

I mean sending Ohno back over to NOAH is totally fine with me

• Like 1

A less structured excursion system would be really beneficial, especially for some of WWE's more in-house projects, considering both how easily they can get lost beneath whichever indie superstar has just be signed and how the Japanese touring model accommodates temporary talent. And while we're dreaming, Lars Sullivan doing his best Bison Smith impression for a tour would be a ton of fun. (He already uses Rikio's old finisher.)

It's just really, really hard to imagine WWE working with a promotion and not seeking to control and eventually own it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Control said:

Have been hoping that the Dick Togo v Sekimoto BJ match from April would pop up online. Though, admittedly, I have no idea what to expect from Togo these days.

He can still go at or near at least 85% of what he was in his prime.

• Like 1