DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Miyahara and Marufuji put on a clinic in that Carny final and I could still see them topping it one or two more times just to properly build up Miyahara finally getting his win back. Miyahara is like everything Mutoh wished he had when he cloned Tanahashi and called him KAI and Seiya Sanada. NOAH vs AJPW sounds amazing. Suwama and Sugiura need to have like a men's version of Hokuto/Kandori with Suwama taking the murderbeating for the entire match only to slug his way to triumph in the end. Marufuji entering his Grumpy Jumbo stage is the best possible thing that could have happened to him. I do not hate on New Japan. I am just...so much more excited by AJPW. 

• Like 1

Assorted AJPW news.

Jake Lee aims to switch to a more martial art style? And will form a 3rd unit? Probably shoot based. Also Jun's been talking about Fujita here and there and mma or fighting vs wrestling. Perhaps him vs Fujita?  Aoki dissed his challengers Nakajima and kotaru.

Jun Vs Omori for the tv title.

3 hours ago, Control said:

I have watched Akiyama vs Survival Tobita and it is bad and not even in a fun way, just in a waste-of-your-time way. Ugh.

Was there a 20 minute promo afterwards?

4 hours ago, Dragonzombie said:

Assorted AJPW news.

Jake Lee aims to switch to a more martial art style? And will form a 3rd unit? Probably shoot based. Also Jun's been talking about Fujita here and there and mma or fighting vs wrestling. Perhaps him vs Fujita?  Aoki dissed his challengers Nakajima and kotaru.

Jun Vs Omori for the tv title.

Yeah, based on who he's teaming with this tour, I'd say Jake Lee's crew is Ryouji Sai and Koji Iwamoto, and I think Dylan James is part of that package. Nearly all the "unaffiliated" dudes. But if he's doing more MMA-style fighting (ugh), then Sai and Iwamoto make sense.

Kept holding out hope that Takagi or Hino would end up on these cards, but neither is booked for any of the June shows.

Also, the guys in Evolution sure like ice cream.

• Like 3

Makes sense, they may as well go hard with the Jake Lee return. Him and Miyahara should be the big rivalry they build to in the next year. Also it's probably time to give Nomura a big win. Maybe he can be the one to dethrone whoever wins between Jun and Omori?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragonzombie said:

It's probably those four. Dylan however seems a weird fit but whatever.  Jake has been training in a karate dojo and said something about palm strikes.

Well, Dylan is a tag champ with Sai, so not including him would, you know, kinda be a bit awkward.  I really like the group overall, though.  Two legit future stars in Lee and Iwamoto, a truly creative veteran in Sai, and the muscle/wild card in James.  I'm interested to see where it goes.  

Knowing All Japan and the way they are frugal with their budget (and often for good reason), I'm not surprised to not see Hino or Takagi on the cards following the Carnival.  However, I think they will return eventually.  It's obvious that they would be very welcome.  

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone anywhere is better than Kento at the eternal babyface formula of taking and coming back from a beating; and I’d never have guessed Marafuji would evolve into this level of methodical, hard striking ass kicker. I know walking into an All Japan ring and firing off goddamn Kawada kicks is incredibly unsubtle, but he earned the reference, and it worked for me. The whole thing did. Pretty much everything I want in a heavyweight title match.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 2:34 PM, Control said:

I have watched Akiyama vs Survival Tobita and it is bad and not even in a fun way, just in a waste-of-your-time way. Ugh.

Were we expecting them to have a good match  (spoiler:  I wasn't)?

39 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Were we expecting them to have a good match  (spoiler:  I wasn't)?

Never seen Tobita before, so I thought maybe it would be entertaining like Ebessan v Akiyama, or maybe some garbage death match dude. Instead, Tobita just ... sucks?

4 hours ago, Control said:

Never seen Tobita before, so I thought maybe it would be entertaining like Ebessan v Akiyama, or maybe some garbage death match dude. Instead, Tobita just ... sucks?

At least go and watch him save the world in the year 2000.

I actually liked Miyahara/Marufuji II better than the Carny finals. The first was an extremely well put-together exercise in restraint,; this one was them going wild and showing that they could do an over the top main event on par with the stuff we see monthly from Okada & co. If Meltzer bothered to watch All Japan anymore he would have had a heart attack during that opening headbutt sequence. The finishing stretch was epic and I'm glad I watched it without spoilers. Both guys are headed for 2018 MVP status if they keep this pace up the rest of the year. 

• Like 2

This card looks pretty great, actually (credit: Purolove.com):

Riki Choshu Produce "POWER HALL 2018 ~ BATTLE OF ANOTHER DIMENSION", 10.07.2018
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

-. BLAZE OF GLORY: HAYATA noah.jpg, YO-HEY noah.jpg & Tadasuke noah.jpg vs. Minoru Tanaka, Mitsuhiro Yoshida & LEONA dradition.jpg
-. NATURAL BORN WARRIORS: Katsuhiko Nakajima noah.jpg & Masa Kitamiya noah.jpg vs. Hideyoshi Kamitani bjw.jpg & Takuya Nomura bjw.jpg
-. TRIO WITH SKILLS: Shiro Koshinaka, AKIRA & Akitoshi Saito noah.jpg vs. NOSAWA Rongai, MAZADA & FUJITA
-. All Japan Pro Wrestling Offer Match ~ THE NEW GENERATION: Naoya Nomura ajpw.jpg & Yuma Aoyagi ajpw.jpg vs. Jake Lee ajpw.jpg & Koji Iwamoto ajpw.jpg
-. A NEW ENCOUNTER: Shingo Takagi dgate.jpg, Koji Doi w1.jpg & Kaito Kiyomiya noah.jpg vs Tatsumi Fujinami dradition.jpg, Naomichi Marufuji noah.jpg & Shotaro Ashino dgate.jpg
-. JOIN THE REVOLUTION II: Jun Akiyama ajpw.jpg, Daichi Hashimoto bjw.jpg & Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio w1.jpg vs. Riki Choshu, Daisuke Sekimoto bjw.jpg & Yoshitatsu

Tobita is a cult figure, I don't really get what made him jump out to the hardcore fans. But I have a SPWF show from 96-97 or so and he comes out in a hockey mask, with a butterfly net and the fans pop for him when he unmasks. Maybe it's because he's a Takano (PWC) student or something.

Not sure if I ever posted this here, or any one even cares but he was among others:
A Uchuu Power ( in PWC, he also worked a show there with a Rey Misterio Jr. mask )
The Fly ( West Japan circa 95 )
Doku Gasmask VX ( IWA Kokusai, West Japan )
Jigoku Soldier (DDT  2001, I think, a one shot gimmick )

From every Survival Tobita match on youtube (watch them)

Japanese pro wrestler Survival Tobita obtained a small cult following in the late 90s/early 2000s for his comically bizarre battles with "inhuman" opponents. Think of him as the Ultraman of Japanese wrestling protecting Japan from monstrous opponents (shades of Kaiju Big Battel). He mostly wrestled for his own promotion Saitama Pro Wrestling, usually on mats in lieu of an actual ring since that was not in the budget) and after a win or loss he would typically sit and give an impassioned speech about the battle he just fought.

Basically he's real life anime in the form of a dumpy pale guy making a heroic fool of himself. He's important, I swear.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

From every Survival Tobita match on youtube (watch them)

Japanese pro wrestler Survival Tobita obtained a small cult following in the late 90s/early 2000s for his comically bizarre battles with "inhuman" opponents. Think of him as the Ultraman of Japanese wrestling protecting Japan from monstrous opponents (shades of Kaiju Big Battel). He mostly wrestled for his own promotion Saitama Pro Wrestling, usually on mats in lieu of an actual ring since that was not in the budget) and after a win or loss he would typically sit and give an impassioned speech about the battle he just fought.

Basically he's real life anime in the form of a dumpy pale guy making a heroic fool of himself. He's important, I swear.

survivaltobita_1895.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1