DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

The tag team loser gets an anal explosion match from Judgement has to be seen to be believed. pto at the WO board provided a lot of context that helped make a little sense of the madness. Ohtani in a bodysuit with a rubber baseball bat is just a small portion of the greatness. I'm at THE GREAT HOMO (Dino obv) vs. GREAT MUTA tag match now. Muta cursed Dino so that people would spit mist at Dino involuntarily. There's footage of a camera man, his dentist, among others spitting mist on him and then passing out. DDT y'all.

Got around to Miyahara/Doering, which was interesting, given the discussion of the big matches at SSE being too long and having too many kickouts. (Regarding the tag, I don't agree with that criticism, but that's neither here nor there.) This was comparatively abrupt, which keeps with the narrative this rivalry has had, so I get it. But there's understanding a thing, and loving a thing, and I didn't love this. Poor crowd mic'ing in a massive arena didn't help, certainly; it made a methodical, relatively dominant first half seem more plodding than it otherwise should have.

Spoiler

I do also get the appeal of Miyahara as champion as we head towards the Champion's Carnival, and Doering lost without being beaten. Wrestling, of course, is rarely just about having the best possible match on given night, and this leaves the door open for something more classically epic later.

What's the thought process behind running the Saitama Super Arena for All Japan? They did over 2k, which is a nice number for them, but the Super Arena holds up to 37,000 and was PRIDE's big arena back in the day. Did they get a brother rate? I haven't watched the show yet but just checked the stream to make sure I wasn't mistaken and it sure looks like the Super Arena.

So that would put it at about 7500 capacity? They didn't light the crowd, obviously, so you couldn't see how full it was--but it certainly didn't sound great. But again, a lot of people seem to be suggesting that was a sound issue, and the crowd was in fact really hot.

Appreciate the info! I've seen a K1 show from December there that looked to have a similar set-up, but K1 is crazy so I didn't know what to think was going on there.

The lights were up at the start of the stream and hardly anybody had arrived to even fill in the ringside seats. Didn't look too bad by the end though from what I could tell. The arena's roof is so high that the acoustics would never sound great even with a proper audio job and the community set-up of the arena. 

One end of the Saitama Super Arena slides and seats on the side fold out from the walls. The Community Arena is behind that end, but still under the roof. When the main arena is set up for 37,000, the Community Arena is 0. When the main side is set at 18,000, The Community side is bigger. It is cool to see from the Community side. From the inside of the main arena you would not know that the Community Arena exists. RIZIN uses both at the same time for the December shows. Two years ago I watched a Joshi Pro Legends show on the Community side and went into the Arena side just in time for the start of RIZIN.

7 hours ago, Control said:

I am up to the All Asia tag on the last AJPW card and I gotta say that middle-aged wrestling bodies are a bit of a bummer.

What do you expect people around 50 and with their injury history to look like? Nakanishi broke his neck. Nagata and the other two have looked similar to this forever. Just not as doughy.

Finally finished the show. Some thoughts:

• Joe Doering is great. Dude came in as a generic power wrestler, got saddled with the crappiest gimmick (some kind of Uber-gaijin, part Hansen and part Brody), and comes back from a brain tumor (or something?) to be the best North American wrestler AJ has had in years and years. His moves look painful as hell, and his cross body is the bestest.
  • The tag match with Yuji Hino was mostly there to express to fans that they best not mess with Yuji Hino. Kinda unnecessary, since if you look at Yuji Hino, you understand right away that he is not one to mess with.
  • Yuji Hino's tattoo says "Hino," and I wonder if it's there in case he gets amnesia following a concussion
  • Last thing about Hino: his bellybutton is hypnotic
  • How long has Kai been doing death matches? His torso is ugly as hell
  • I think Nakanashi and Nagata joined Hagura IGF, so yeah, if there's a invasion in AJ's future, it's gonna suck.
  • Though I'd still buy Nagata as a main eventer, obviously.

Not sure what happens with the CC now. Could make sense to just give Kento the super push and have him win that too, then defend against someone who beat him in the league (like Hino please). However, I could see Akiyama, Suwama, or Marufuji.

Also be down for a out-of-left field winner, like Zeus, or just going right back to Joe.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:59 PM, Control said:

Finally finished the show. Some thoughts:

• Joe Doering is great. Dude came in as a generic power wrestler, got saddled with the crappiest gimmick (some kind of Uber-gaijin, part Hansen and part Brody), and comes back from a brain tumor (or something?) to be the best North American wrestler AJ has had in years and years. His moves look painful as hell, and his cross body is the bestest.
  • The tag match with Yuji Hino was mostly there to express to fans that they best not mess with Yuji Hino. Kinda unnecessary, since if you look at Yuji Hino, you understand right away that he is not one to mess with.
  • Yuji Hino's tattoo says "Hino," and I wonder if it's there in case he gets amnesia following a concussion
  • Last thing about Hino: his bellybutton is hypnotic
  • How long has Kai been doing death matches? His torso is ugly as hell
  • I think Nakanashi and Nagata joined Hagura IGF, so yeah, if there's a invasion in AJ's future, it's gonna suck.
  • Though I'd still buy Nagata as a main eventer, obviously.

Not sure what happens with the CC now. Could make sense to just give Kento the super push and have him win that too, then defend against someone who beat him in the league (like Hino please). However, I could see Akiyama, Suwama, or Marufuji.

Also be down for a out-of-left field winner, like Zeus, or just going right back to Joe.

Nagata and Nakanshi are part of old stable called team Japan along with Fujita and Kendo. Kai grew up with FMW and did some deathmatches while back. But his chest was already pelted by AJPW guys and Go years ago. I'm not sure Zeus will ever win the TC, he is basically Gotoh/Yone of AJPW.

Anyway in news, Mutoh surgery is a sucess and he will come back to the ring.

• Like 3

Not 2018 wrestling, but matches that haven't been seen until 2018. Pete uploaded a couple Rip Rogers matches from a 1990 tour of AJPW, singles matches against Kobashi and Haruka Eigen. Rogers comes off like a guy who should have been on tours for the rest of the decade. Two totally different matches, really shows a great range. I should probably do a Complete & Accurate Rip Rogers. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/03/all-japan-handheld-cherry-picking-rip.html

43 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyone sign up for the Dragon Gate service yet? How's the archive?

Another one, huh? According to this reddit thread, they have the studio stuff going back to 2013 and TV versions of Kobe World shows dating back to 2005. It also paraphrases Jae who said they plan on uploading all the important shows and matches (whatever that means) dating back to the company's beginning. 

It's a shame it won't have Toryumon footage. I really fell in love with Crazy Max back in high school and they along with All Japan were what got me into Japanese wrestling. 

Edit: holy shit, 1500 yen!!! What don't you get for the light version (standard 999 yen) that the full version has? Just lack of live broadcasts? Do they Gabe you and make you wait two weeks? 

Toshiaki Kawada Produce "HOLY WAR ~ JOSHO", 26.04.2018 Shin-Kiba 1st RING

1. Ikuto Hidaka vs. Junta Miyawaki

2. Kuishinbo Kamen & Buffalo vs. Masao Inoue & Gabai Ji-chan

3. Talk Show: Toshiaki Kawada vs. Naomichi Marufuji

4. Isami Kodaka & Yuko Miyamoto vs. Jun Kasai & Tomoya Hirata

5. Mitsuya Nagai & Minoru Tanaka vs. Hideki Suzuki & Takatoshi Matsumoto

6. Shiro Koshinaka, Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Tamon Honda Go Shiozaki , Kaito Kiyomiya & Kazusada Higuchi

Kawada's show looks fun. I'm legitimately shocked that Yuto Aijima isn't on the card. Hoping the matches are all 20 minutes long and methodical. 

Zeus winning the CC wouldn't be out of left field at all. Guy has been fightin for his spot for years now and he and Miyahara have a long history. The time is now...

I know this isn’t happening in Japan, but maybe y’all don’t venture into the indie thread, and might be interested. I sure am. Low Ki got kicked off Bloodsport, and god, what kind of replacement could you find on such short notice?

Ok then.