DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

6 minutes ago, Control said:

Cool. And then I guess someone is gonna have to walk me through signing up.

Seemed pretty simple. Where it says language, select English. Go from there.

• Like 2

Aoyagi might be coming back from around may to June. Kento is trying to come up with a new move. Nomura cut a promo about winning the All Asia Title for AJP. Survival Tobita vs Jun for Tv title at 5. 19 in Iwate.

Used AJPW TV to watch the top three matches of last year's big Summer Action Series show: Lee/Nomura vs Big Buns, Joe vs Miyahara, and Suwama vs Ishikawa. Good all around. AJ used to be my favourite, so I follow the results online, but I've rarely taken the time to watch a wrestling match in the last, like, decade.

Random thoughts:

• Man, all the Nextream (sp?) guys are great baby faces, and actually have hilarious baby faces. Lee trying to look tough is adorable.
  • Zeus and Bodyguard are great. Bodyguard might actually be ... awesome? Like, I don't expect any poetry from him, but he's great at being a big, lumbering buffoon. I totally buy him as someone who could pin the TC champ in a singles match and then job to Jake Lee or a junior.
  • They should really consider putting the TC on Zeus this year, if only for a trial run.
  • What surprised me the most is how over Joe was. People were chanting his name and going nuts for his moves. Miyahara had trouble getting them back on board, I thought.
  • The great thing about Suwama having always been a slow-ass wrestler is that age doesn't seem to be slowing him down.
  • Like 1

Inoki sold all his shares of the old IGF. Also the fed will no longer have anything to do within Inoki anymore and will change their name to Assist co. LTD. And drop the IGF name from shows. Hagure IGF international is the only IGF now. But Inoki isn't involved.

Related to this: Are LA dojo grads gonna work ROH shows, will New Japan promote events, maybe bring a few over... or is it a resume builder, essentially, and you go on and do the best you can with it?

Also, if there is some kind of placement program, does New Japan have any sort of relationship with any joshi feds? Or would a woman grad perhaps get slotted in to Women of Honor? (Again, assuming there is any sort of mechanism like that.)

Resume. But NJPW officials will scout if anyone interests them. Eventually they want to open up their American expansion fed. I also remember while back Kidani said he would be open to a womens division for both Japan and U.S.

• Thanks 2

Meltz had a 1 on 1 interview with Okada that's an enjoyable listen. Because of the need for a translator (I think), Okada seemed to keep the answers relatively short but still very fun! 

img_3364.jpeg

And it was at that moment, Dave's life was complete. 

22 hours ago, Control said:

We need to have a "best dressed wrestler" tournament.

You mean, other than Naito?

Maybe we could have a "second best dressed wrestler" tournament?

Would this tournament have separate "Zubaz" and "Fanny Pack" divisions.

Cena's a lock if there's an over-sized suit division.

Anybody else watching tonight's/tomorrow's All Japan show live? 

Bringing in Josh Bodom is a smart move. He's got TJ Dillashaw face, which makes him incredibly punchable and he knows how to use it. One of the better heels I've seen on the bigger indies and a smart worker all around.

How has Dylan James been?

There's also this:

Konosuke Takeshita vs. Shuji Ishikawa, HARASHIMA & Naomichi Marufuji vs. Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazusada Higuchi, Muta vs. Dino in a six man tag, and Jiro vs. SSM for the ironman. That looks like a neat card.

Edited by Oyaji
DDT!~~
  • Like 1

Not watching it live, but I'm certainly curious how the streaming goes for everyone who's signed up so far.  I think I'll probably dive in next month once the Carnival starts rolling along.  

I'm pretty excited about Josh Bodom, too.  I think All Japan could really use a few more foreigners, even if only for big cards such as this one.  I'm cool with them being selective about it, though.  Iwamoto is one of my personal favorites, so I'm really hoping Iwamoto-Bodom turns out to be a pleasant surprise here.  

I'll be honest, I've never been too impressed with James/Raideen.  Power wrestler, pretty clunky.  However, I have been completely won over by Ryoji Sai as of late, so maybe he'll be a good influence.  As I mentioned, All Japan needs a few more foreigners to round out their crew, so here's hoping James can prove me wrong.    

It's not an amazing card, but it's all kinds of funky.  It should at least be a lot of fun to watch.  

• Like 1

I'm going to watch DDT's card because the AJPW seems a bit top heavy for me in comparison. DDT's got so much goofy shit going on, even though they're also featuring Colt vs. Joey Ryan. 

Will definitely watch AJPW's show tomorrow though.

DDT show's prelims kicked off with a woman looking like she was about a foot from landing really badly on a swanton and Mad Paulie doing big man things.