DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

I imagine Shibata would the hardest of hard asses to train under since Kotetsu. In all seriousness, he's a master of the Little Things of pro-wrestling and presence. I hope he can pass that knowledge on to his students.

More details including quotes from Shibata himself. Best one imo is:

The good, classic Japanese pro-wrestling is starting to disappear from the current wrestling world. But we must never lose that fighting attitude and spirit of traditional Japanese pro-wrestling. I have accepted the mission to open the gates and transcend the cultural differences to pass down our knowledge to the younger generation.

I think this is very interesting and good development. One of my fears with NJPW's USA expansion was that whole promotion would become "americanized" and hardly distinguishable from USA indies, but putting Shibata in such position gives me assurance that they will preserve their unique flavour.

On 3/3/2018 at 12:56 AM, Belgian_Waffle said:

the name was originally a goof on BUSHI when BUSHI left for NJPW, right? now that NJPW snapped up SANADA they should have a guy called BANANA or something. 

Maybe it was kind of a goof, but BUSHI and SUSHI were a tag team for awhile before BUSHI left for NJPW. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I should probably know this myself since i live in Hamilton ON but has anyone worth checking out come out of Yuki Ishikawa's school in Toronto yet?

NXT ref Darryl Sharma is the only one I can think of. I'd put money on them turning out a couple of main roster guys soon. With someone teaching basics like Yuki and someone who knows WWE like Santino (who can also GO) that's a foot in the door.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 2:45 PM, sevendaughters said:

Shibata is just doing week-long camps from what I can tell. Might not be enough to turn a non-athletic wrestling fan into Kazunari Marukami.

It might be enough to scare off many though. I can imagine students dreading his appearance as if he were the asshole vice principal in high school. Scorpio Sky tells everybody "okay, we got a week with Shibata" and everyone's testes retract at once.

• Like 1

question i am just throwing out there because it's 2am where I am and the mind does wander when idle: would you take Hirooki Goto seriously as IWGP champ if he had a hell of a G1, won in a MOTYC final against someone awesome and pinned Okada 1, 2, 3 at the Dome? or would it be a Roman Reigns type situation? I'm honestly not sure. he's definitely not great or anything I just wonder if there isn't a mentality that says after so many failures and being such a dunce for so long if the people wouldn't band together behind him as a late-career ace. 

There are so many better options for the guy who ends Okada's streak. If the champion wasn't in a historical reign, I could see it happening. Remember how great the 2016 G1 final was? He's capable to be sure... But he's almost always a distant second best performer in his best matches (see this year's Dome match).

I think he would have to add a sense of desperation that we have yet seen out of him though for the fans not to turn on him eventually. 

I think it could be done. I'm an optimist. He's never been jobbed. Always looks strong. Let's face it, he has a CV of great matches and more than his fair share of memorable moments. Just most of them are him losing.

Before Naito rebranded I thought he was way sadder than Goto and wrestled a less satisfying style to boot. But Goto, of course, doesn't have Naito's charisma - or at least it hasn't found the best way to come out. He seems cool in those pictures where it's CHAOS chilling or him palling about it Shibata.

The reality is that Goto would probably be an awesome fit in All Japan and make an excellent Triple Crown champ, provided he wasn't rejected for being an invader pushed too hard out of the gate.

It would take more than a bunch of wins and good matches. A believable character alteration (and he's had a couple) and just something we haven't seen before.

Also, it seems that the west has to take to you too. And it seems like he's still a non-entity outside of Japan.

Goto would at least be tremendous main event depth for All Japan or NOAH, both of which have a precipitous drop after their top handful of guys. I could see him being a great world champ in either of those promotions too, provided they do enough to establish he's changed somehow, thus avoiding the implication that New Japan's most famous 'nearly man' has always been better than their best. I also think you could get a good IWGP title win--if not run--this way, but he's not the guy to beat Okada. You save the "Goto finally does it!" card for when the champion gets hurt, signs with WWE, etc. It would be a nice moment, a due reward for a loyal soldier, and a transition that didn't hurt the title.

Unsure if this is leading to anything- but the fighting game tournament CEO (which is the 2nd biggest in the US after EVO) is going to have an official NJPW presence this year.  Previous 2 years Kenny Omega competed (and he's not terrible at fighting games).

Kenny went like 1 for 4 or something against the Japanese EVO champ of SFV and there were a lot of close losses too. Maybe the guy was going easy on him but it didn't seem to be the case.