DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Was thinking of making a thread for AJPW’s next big show, but I don’t know if there’s enough interest here to warrant it.

card so far:

AJPW "DREAM POWER SERIES 2018", 25.03.2018 
Saitama Super Arena Community Arena 

-. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Atsushi Aoki (c) vs. Shuji Kondo  

-. All Asia Tag Team Title: Jun Akiyama & Yuji Nagata  (c) vs. Takao Omori & Manabu Nakanishi

-. Special Six Man Tag Match: Suwama, Hikaru Sato & Yusuke Okada vs. Kazuyuki Fujita, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai 

-. AJPW World Tag Team Title: Zeus & The Bodyguard (c) vs. Ryouji Sai & Dylan James 

-. Triple Crown: Joe Doering vs. Kento Miyahara

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Fujita, Nakanishi, and Kashin in marquee matches isn't a good look even if it's just temporary. Will definitely check out the main event and junior title match.

My hope for how the Fujita angle plays out:

1. Suwama keeps matching up against Fujita in multi-tag matches and gets foiled by tag-team hijinks, often eating the fall himself.
  2. When Suwama and Fujita finally get a singles match (say, after the CC), Suwama murders him in under five minutes
  3. Fujita suffers a coma--when he comes out, he thinks he's a 19th-century bootblack named Phineas O'Sullivan.
  4. Fujita spends the rest of 2018 at ringside, polishing boots for tuppence.

Edit to add: I just realized that I haven't seen Nakanishi since the Pirates Gundan angle and holy shit that was 14 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Control said:

My hope for how the Fujita angle plays out:

1. Suwama keeps matching up against Fujita in multi-tag matches and gets foiled by tag-team hijinks, often eating the fall himself.
  2. When Suwama and Fujita finally get a singles match (say, after the CC), Suwama murders him in under five minutes
  3. Fujita suffers a coma--when he comes out, he thinks he's a 19th-century bootblack named Phineas O'Sullivan.
  4. Fujita spends the rest of 2018 at ringside, polishing boots for tuppence.

Edit to add: I just realized that I haven't seen Nakanishi since the Pirates Gundan angle and holy shit that was 14 years ago.

Recommendes viewing; that time he won the IWGP title.

There's IGF owned by Simon. Now doing that China-Japan thing instead of Different- style fights. (Might still do kickboxing)

Inoki-ism which is owned by Antonio Inoki. 

And now Hagure IGF international  which is owned by those guys invading AJP.

The card for their first show is, well, it’s something: 

() Vaccine Fight Offer Match: Takuya Kai & SUSHI vs. Takatoshi Matsumoto & Buffalo
() lucha libre classico: MAZADA vs. Arkangel de la Muerte

() Tokyo World Heavyweight Championship Match: [5th Champion] Masaaki Mochizuki vs. [Challenger] Rocky Kawamura
~ 5th title defense.

() Main Event Street Fight Death Match: Kazuyuki Fujita, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai vs. Masato Tanaka, Tetsuhiro Kuroda & Hideki Hosaka

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...what?

As far as I can tell, it’s a promotion that features Takuya Kai. I can’t find anything out about it or him, except that he shows up in Vaccine Fight offer matches on Tokyo Guerentai shows.

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think we are all sleeping on the fact that there is an actual Japanese wrestler named SUSHI by the way

That's why Japanese people live longer.

They have SUSHI.

We have.... Cheeseburger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did not know that. Who else is on the Hagure roster, and why are there multiple IGFs?

Simon had a falling out with Antonio. Antonio lost most of his sponsors and his network sources. He is also trying to sue Simon to get the IGF name back.

Hagure IGF international is the booking agency of Kazuyuki Fujita and Kendo and Nosawa. Seems to be a more Strong Style/ Deathmatches/Heel/Lucha/Indy/shoot based promotion. Unlike the old IGF which used to be mostly Inoki-ism styled.

If there's ever any more official members joining Hagure IGF international.. It will either happen on their own show or possible evolution member betrayal. 

SUSHI is former AJP worker Akira Raijin. He left to have a career in children's entertainment. But the real reason is because AJP workers hated him in the back.

SUSHI is/was...not very good in the times I've seen him. Popular with kids though. Will wear his mask at rest stops along the highway apparently.

Takuya Kai is the "fighting dentist." Anytime he has a match, the proceeds are donated to charity to get vaccines to children in other countries.

• Like 3

SUSHI is completely acceptable in his current role.  He found what works for him.  As long as no one in All Japan starts to think (again) he's capable of having serious feuds or long matches of importance, I'm cool with it.  Very much like YUJIRO in that regard.  

• Like 1

NJPW announced that Katsuyori Shibata is the head coach of the L.A, Dojo, with Scorpio Sky assisting. Brody King is one of the students in the Spring Camp, it appears.

• Like 2