DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Yes, I know exactly what you're saying.  I guess I've gotten used to that, because frankly, that's an issue I have with almost all two or three person podcasts.  I had a similar problem with Chris Charlton and WH Park's podcast for the LAW.  (Let's just say, I tend to side with both Charlton and Strigga far more often).  

Anyway, I still like the show because they do put in the work and it helps keep me up to date on stuff I simply don't have time to watch.  

• Like 1

On 2018-02-06 at 6:16 AM, Belgian_Waffle said:

The other cool thing they could do would be Doering retaining and then Marufuji vs Miyahara in the carny finals with Miyahara wnning to set up a big rematch over the conqueror Doering. It would be an emotional Carny win for multiple reasons----Miyahara's first, (nd overdue) Carny win, the end of AJPW's  CC losing streak with outsiders winning the past two years,  the torch-passing of Misawa's protege doing the job to the new Misawa-style ace of AJPW...plus i just think in general they would have great chemistry and a tremendous match. 

Sounds interesting, plus with Miyahara and Ishikawa being in same block it probably makes sense to do their match as semifinal with Miyahara going over. This would make, if I'm not mistaken, their record against each other 2-2 setting up big match at later date to end their rivalry (or should it continue till the end of days?).

• Like 1

Can't really go wrong with NOAH experiencing a bit of a resurgence and NJPW en fuego. His time with WWE made it really easy to forget how close to the top this guy was in terms of the absolute best. I would hope he's done with being a junior if he should sign with NJPW though. I'm sure he would have fantastic matches with Hiromu and Kushida but he's got a limited period of time before his body doesn't enable him to go at full speed. 

• Like 1

Yeah, he was probably my favorite wrestler in the world for a pretty good span there, so I'm admittedly (too?) stoked on any hint that guy might return. NOAH (and All Japan, since they seem to be working together a bit more) could use him way more than New Japan--Kenoh has already defended against a debutante and a deathmatch guy--but I can't help but imagine the reaction to him, say, challenging Okada after he (hypothetically) beats SANADA.

Anyway, I know I'm getting ahead of things--maybe he just meant that he's out of the tournament!--but this is the kind of too-excited speculation I knew I'd be prone to.

AJP gave Mrs.Baba back the belts because the Baba family owns them (the property but not the design or title history) But not the rest, I remember years ago AJP said they own the rest to the media.

The Junior title was changed to give it a new look. The All Asia Heavyweight Championship Sai wears has a new similar design.

latest?cb=20180121211417

5 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Maybe this would be more appropriate for the 205-live thread, but I didn't want to totally derail that into KENTA speculation. But, I mean... there is a lot I'd love to see him do, should he return to Japan.

There was a follow-up tweet:

Fuck.  At this point, I'd probably prefer to see him go back to Japan.  It doesn't seem like his WWE career is going to amount to much, and there's a lot I'd prefer to see him do in Japan.  He hasn't called to ask my opinion, though, so what I think is kinda irrelevant.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dragonzombie said:

AJP gave Mrs.Baba back the belts because the Baba family owns them (the property but not the design or title history) But not the rest, I remember years ago AJP said they own the rest to the media.

The Junior title was changed to give it a new look. The All Asia Heavyweight Championship Sai wears has a new similar design.

latest?cb=20180121211417

Is the current All Asia Heavyweight Belt tied to AJPW at all?

21 hours ago, Archibald said:

Sounds interesting, plus with Miyahara and Ishikawa being in same block it probably makes sense to do their match as semifinal with Miyahara going over. This would make, if I'm not mistaken, their record against each other 2-2 setting up big match at later date to end their rivalry (or should it continue till the end of days?).

It should definitely continue forever. Those two guys just have that special hatred-blended-with-mutual-respect chemistry that all the best Japanese feuds have. It's the same energy I get whenever Okada and Suzuki are in the ring together, and the same chemistry I got whenever Ishikawa (, Yuki) and Daisuke Ikeda were in the ring together. 

also just taking a moment to reflect on all my favourite Manabu Soya matches from before his injury: the tag match where he finally pins Nishimura, the ridiculously solid Soya/Sanada vs Sekimoto/Okabayashi matches, the freaking classic Soya/Hama vs Sekimoto/Okabayash, the el super freaking classico 5000 MOTDC soya/omori vs akiyama/shiozai....holy crap was this guy on fire in 2011-2012. he was never the same when he came back and started working for W-1 but man oh man was he my vote for the best in the world for those short, sweet, fleeting months. does anyone know if any of these are still uploaded anywhere online? I'd love to revisit a few but dailymotion and youtube seemed to have pulled them all. managed to find this gem to tide me over for now...

Neat. Thanks for the heads up on that. 

As my friend and I make our way through some of the more interesting stuff from Voices of Wrestling's top matches of 2017, we both were laughing way too hard at pretty much all of Suzuki vs. Takagi in an empty Tokyo Dome. It went by so quickly and I'm not sure what popped me the most. Gota Ihashi vs. The stairs maybe though Meiko deadpanning as she displayed the worst baseball skills was a close second perhaps. Not that I didn't enjoy Ryan vs. Dino's anal (ah-nah-ru) death match, the baseball stadium was about 100 times funnier. Though there's something to be said of Machine's Trump impression. 

20 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Neat. Thanks for the heads up on that. 

As my friend and I make our way through some of the more interesting stuff from Voices of Wrestling's top matches of 2017, we both were laughing way too hard at pretty much all of Suzuki vs. Takagi in an empty Tokyo Dome. It went by so quickly and I'm not sure what popped me the most. Gota Ihashi vs. The stairs maybe though Meiko deadpanning as she displayed the worst baseball skills was a close second perhaps. Not that I didn't enjoy Ryan vs. Dino's anal (ah-nah-ru) death match, the baseball stadium was about 100 times funnier. Though there's something to be said of Machine's Trump impression. 

Is that match on DDT Universe? When I looked I found a different Suzuki/Takagi match from 2012 in its place. I did find a shorten version on YouTube with no finish to the match, but what I saw was hilarious and had me laughing the whole time.

Ok, this is a bit out of left field, but does anyone know of any good Calgary Hurricanes matches (preferably ones that can be found online)? The Hurricanes were Super Strong Machine, Hiro Saito, and Shunji Takano, and they were active in all japan and JWP in the mid-80s.