DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Marufuji to be the third outsider in a row to win the Champion Carnival? I could totally see it, especially if Miyahara is winning the belt from Joe in their upcoming match. Marufuji vs Miyahara for the TC would be a pretty great feud to usher in the streaming service. 

For real. Has anyone else from his generation been as consistently good as Akiyama since the 90s? Nagata comes to mind for consistency but his high-end matches aren't anywhere near the caliber Jun's high-end. I've said a few times on here how much I'd love to see an AJPW/NJPW invasion angle so that Suwama and Miyahara can finally be put the test but some days I feel like the real money match in Japan right now is Okada vs Akiyama. 

• Like 1

Alan along with Strigga and Mort did an awesome rundown of the upcoming Carnival on DKP over at Meltz's site. I'm fucking all on board for the tournament after listening to this earlier today even more so than I was after reading about Hino and Shingo's participation.

Anybody listen to Eastern Lariat, Strigga's podcast?

http://www.newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/122181.php

Ex-pro wrestling star The Destroyer receives the Order of the Rising Sun

Former American professional wrestler The Destroyer, who garnered tremendous popularity in Japan decades ago, received the esteemed Order of the Rising Sun at a ceremony in Buffalo on Saturday, reports Nippon News Network.

At the ceremony, Reiichiro Takahashi, the Ambassador and Consul-General at the Consulate General of Japan in New York, handed Richard Beyer, who wrestled under the name The Destroyer, the Order of the Rising Sun under the Gold and Silver Rays class, which is the second-highest level.

After receiving the order, Beyer, 87, wearing his trademark white mask, said, "Honto ni arigatou gozaimasu [Thank you very much]."

The order is presented to persons who have made achievements in international relations, promoted Japanese culture or performed other altruistic activities.

The legend of the The Destroyer began in 1963, when he came to Japan to wrestle Rikidozan, who rose to immense fame by defeating foreign opponents in the immediate aftermath of World War II.

Over the next decade, the native of New York became a pop-culture icon who, in addition to squaring off against wrestling legends like Giant Baba in the ring, appeared on Japanese television variety programs.

Beyer said during an interview with a Nippon News Network reporter after the ceremony that he grew up hating the Japanese, but his attitude changed upon coming to Japan. "Don't judge what happened before; judge what [is] happening now," he said.

When asked by the reporter whether he would take off his mask to show his face to the Japanese people, Beyer laughed and said, "No, because it's a secret."

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Alan along with Strigga and Mort did an awesome rundown of the upcoming Carnival on DKP over at Meltz's site. I'm fucking all on board for the tournament after listening to this earlier today even more so than I was after reading about Hino and Shingo's participation.

Anybody listen to Eastern Lariat, Strigga's podcast?

I listen to it pretty regularly.  They provide quite a comprehensive overview of the current Japanese scene.  Not just New Japan, but lots of All Japan, NOAH, Big Japan, joshi, and a bunch more.  I'd say it's definitely worth trying out.  

I've heard bad things in a general concept, but nothing specific to give you info about. I think Kawato should come back as just Tiger Kawato and paint his face like a tiger. Bring in Joker to do the painting. ExtremeFacePainting_Tiger_06_P_updated.j

2 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

For anyone who has the BIg Japan streaming service, is it worth it? How easy is it to navigate for a non-Japanese speaker? How much does it cost? I didn't see that info on the website. Thanks.

Apparently they have a similar deal to Stardom World, where they have their own crew film ringside with no commentary. All I know. I'm interested but man... just so many services.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Apparently they have a similar deal to Stardom World, where they have their own crew film ringside with no commentary. All I know. I'm interested but man... just so many services.

That's how I feel. I did the math today and if I got all the streaming services I'm interested in, I'd be spending over $100. It just isn't affordable.

5 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

For anyone who has the BIg Japan streaming service, is it worth it? How easy is it to navigate for a non-Japanese speaker? How much does it cost? I didn't see that info on the website. Thanks.

888 yen per month which is a bit over 8 dollars.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Miyahara recapturing the Triple Crown setting up a Marufuji CC win and big title match down the road? Doering holding on makes sense too, so they can't really go wrong.

The other cool thing they could do would be Doering retaining and then Marufuji vs Miyahara in the carny finals with Miyahara wnning to set up a big rematch over the conqueror Doering. It would be an emotional Carny win for multiple reasons----Miyahara's first, (nd overdue) Carny win, the end of AJPW's  CC losing streak with outsiders winning the past two years,  the torch-passing of Misawa's protege doing the job to the new Misawa-style ace of AJPW...plus i just think in general they would have great chemistry and a tremendous match. 

• Like 2

I'm going to still love the fact that they made a belt to combine the TC belts into one because those belts got old, yet they're still using the double belts for the Unified Tag belts, even though those belts are as old as the TC Belts were.

It's odd, but in Japan they don't seem keen on making new sets of belts.  It's usually one and that's what you go with until you change the design.  I think the only belt in Japan I've seen remade without a redesign is the IWGP IC belt, which looks like part of Naito's destruction of it was an excuse to change the strap from leather spray painted white to white leather.

I'm pretty sure the Unified World Tag belts are the same PWF and NWA International belts from 88.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:18 AM, Evil Otto said:

I listen to it pretty regularly.  They provide quite a comprehensive overview of the current Japanese scene.  Not just New Japan, but lots of All Japan, NOAH, Big Japan, joshi, and a bunch more.  I'd say it's definitely worth trying out.  

Ugh, Dylan Harris' constant talk about the perception of a thing and how it's either underrated or overrated to make himself sound like a genius drives me crazy. It's fine he prefers All Japan to New Japan but the 2 cool 4 school routine is lame and pretty much killing my enjoyment of the show.