DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

On 1/24/2018 at 9:20 AM, Archibald said:

Whenever someone brings up Ishikawa I get a bit sad realizing that he is already 42 years old :( Anyone knows anything about his early career? Was he really bad in the beginning or were there some screw ups with the booking? Because I feel like he started getting respect that he deserves (and he still deserves more than he gets) only in last couple of years.

The first time I saw Ishikawa was when he was under the mask as KOO in DDT. His first reign with their main belt was in 2007 so it's not like he hasn't been around for awhile. I think he was billed as a Union Pro guy back then but I also remember him having an affiliation with IWA Japan.

4 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

if they send Marukami over then we're talking

Yeah, Murakami could do a credible UFO Invasion ripoff in place of Ogawa. But nobody wants to see Iron Head and Mr. Cross-Armbreaker wrestle. Just give us a Murakami/Otsuka tag team and let that be it.

According to Twitter, 2018 AJPW Champion Carnival lineup:

A Block
- Joe Doering
- Shuji Ishikawa
- Kento Miyahara
- Shingo Takagi
- Yuji Hino
- Ryuji Sai
- Naoya Nomura
- The Bodyguard

B Block
- Suwama
- Naomichi Marufuji
- Jun Akiyama
- Yoshitatsu
- Zeus
- KAI
- Dylan James
- Yutaka Yoshie

It's like they got overly enthusiastic and made an absolutely wicked A Block, then suddenly remembered they still had to make a B Block.  Come on B Block, surprise me!  

I'm very much interested in what All Japan is going to do regarding the streaming service.  If it's similar to New Japan World, count me in.  

The one thing that All Japan is lacking in is interviews, and a streaming service could really help in that regard.  They have really strong, basic storylines and (usually) logical booking, so the more fans, other than the hardcore ones, can connect with the wrestlers in a more direct way, the better.  

By the way, tonight's card from Yokohama was really solid.  The two tag champ matches were really great, and Joe vs. Kai was really fun to watch, but not an epic or anything.  All three are worth your time to watch.  

He was very nervous in-between moves but grew into the match. Rudo Kawato is strange and it seems completely foreign to him. He's such a nice (young) boy! Not a lot of naturalness but to be expected going into a completely different style in a foreign country where he probably doesn't know much Spanish. However, his German suplex popped the commentator and he eventually showed off some of his slick execution. Hard pass on Tiger Mask I hope. He shouldn't wear a hood because so much of his strength is his face. He mugs it up wonderfully. Plus the gimmick is beyond dead and he'd have to work with the awful TMIV.

Show wasn't much and I thought the Soberano/Hechicero vs. Mephisto/Mistico match was the best of the bunch.

I'm going to go broke (more broke?) with all these fucking streaming services.

Oh I agree, I’d much rather he not be under the hood. The crowd is ready to love him, and absence will make their collective heart grow fonder. But I worry. (And if I’m unhappy I’d like to be right...)

And it’ll never happen, but I’d really love a cooperative streaming service betweeen some of the non-NJPW Japanese companies. (Not that I wouldn’t want New Japan roped in too, but that seems too unlikely even for my imagination.) Still, there’s a lot I want to watch reliably and legally—voting with your spending, and all that—but I don’t necessarily want separate services from Stardom, AJPW, DDT, NJPW, etc. To say nothing of WWN, WWE, now ROH...

• Like 1

North America has Highspots Network and Powerbomb.tv. Japan needs a Samurai TV-esque network to pull in all the desperate indies together. I would think it would be more beneficial to have a smaller piece of a very large pie than to have a very small whole pie to oneself. I can't see myself keeping DDT Universe with the ROH one about to drop. I also pay for UFC's terrific streaming service. It's getting to be a bit much. I'm already paying for WWE Network, Stardom World, Progress, Rev-Pro, NJPW World, and will be paying for ROH. I bum a friend's HighSpots Network from time to time mostly to watch wXw and Chuck Taylor shows, though I used to subscribe myself.