DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

15 hours ago, Beech27 said:

So, Kenoh vs a returning Kaito Kiyomiya was really good. 

-There's a neck welt and a bloody nose. 

-Doesn't overstay its welcome, especially by heavyweight title match standards. 

-Unique finish. 

-Crowd is, of course, very happy to see Kiyomiya, and gets behind him. But he earns the cheers, too. There are some awkward sequences that look like a nervous guy being a bit careful, but he shows enough passion it's hard to care too much. Funny thing, since he's always referred to as a Misawa fan, and wears the green trunks, that he's decidedly not stoic. If he wore less narratively loaded colors, I'd say he's transparently a Kobashi fan. Regardless, he's a 21-year-old real heavyweight who has real promise, which is obviously great for NOAH.

-Kenoh is the present, though, and he kicks really goddamn hard. I have to be honest that he was under my radar until his heavyweight ascent, but he's really compelling so far. I love the run New Japan is currently on, but there's been a bit of a Shibata-shaped hole in my viewing... and, well, Kenoh certainly has a very different aesthetic, but he also has that serious face that's like a taut rubber band, then suddenly vicious, and he lays everything in. Also his robe is great.

-Red, black, and gold pants are the trendy outfit for aces now, aren't they? Kenoh, Miyahara, and Okada...

*snip*

That was God damn gnarly. Fun match. I initially misread Kiyomiya as Kitomiya and was waaay more excited, as I'd never seen Kiyomiya before. I loved the ending and Kiyomiya's post-match antics with Shiozaki acting as big brother. The match itself was fun if not a bit over the top in terms of stiffness and Fighting Spirit at times. I can see why there's a lot of hype around Kenoh though, despite his hair being the subject of much laughter.

Watched some rando stuff last night with a friend. He was higher on the Takeda vs. Takahashi death match from BJW's big December show. There must've been a dozen shoot headbutts in that fucker and they totally killed off the impact of light tubes right away, which is pretty stupid in a match built up entirely around light tubes as the main gimmick. We both really enjoyed Ishikawa vs. Bailey from DDT's grand prix. I signed up to Universe, what should I watch? I'm definitely going to check out the big Omega/Ibushi matches before I decide to keep subscribing, but what of the current day stuff should I watch? I've seen Takeshita's title win and the 60 minute draw. How were the Takeshita/Ishikawa matches from the not-too-distant past?

Omega has been added to the Australia tour and Tanahashi is now off. It would seem like the stars are aligning for a Suzuki ass whooping and THEN he finally takes some time off. Please?

Front row tickets for the Aussie tour are going for $457. :blink: For a second, I thought they used monopoly money but it's a 1:1 ratio with the Canadian dollar (insert American joke about Canadian $ = monopoly money).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

More Cody/Kenny tension building in this week's Being The Elite. Gotta say that this week's was one of the better done episodes yet. They're starting to get good at this.

It's really weird how it became more of a skit and story thing

Ryoji Sai's promotion did 400 in Seoul the other night which seems pretty good. Often wondered why they don't hit Korea more, or why Korea doesn't have much of its own wrestling scene. I know there's racial and historical tension there but Rikidozan, Maeda, Choshu are all Korean, and it's not like there is no fight culture there.

Now that the group stages are over, I just want to come back and say that the D-King Grand Prix really delivered on the promise of those first few shows. Even if you're relatively stingy with your wrestling watching and don't watch whole shows that often (which describes me outside of a few promotions), I think watching all these group matches (ok, maybe not the Joey Ryan ones) is a decent bet. I can def recommend more specifically if anyone wants to pick and choose, but really, go ahead and watch these shows, you won't be disappointed. The Ishikawa/Higuchi match on the 1/14 show is probably my fav, and that show (the last of the group stage) is especially excellent.

Yeah, sorry, probably should have answered that. DDT just did 6 shows of a round robin tournament, with the final to come this weekend. So, for me:

1/3 (not really part of the tournament but I loved this match):
Very Highly Recommended: HARASHIMA, Kuroshio, & Higuchi vs. Takeshita, Bailey, & Ishikawa

1/5:
Recommended: Endo vs. Takahashi, Ishii vs. HARASHIMA
Highly Recommended: Takeshita vs. Kuroshio, Bailey vs. Ishikawa

1/7:
Recommended: Bailey vs. Akito, Kuroshio vs. Takahashi
Very Highly Recommended: Takeshita vs. Endo

1/8:
Recommended: Higuchi vs. Sasaki, Kuroshio vs. HARASHIMA, Takahashi vs. Ishii, Bailey vs. Takao

1/10:
Recommended: Sakaguchi vs. Ishikawa, Higuchi vs. Akito
Highly Recommended: Endo vs. Kuroshio, Takeshita vs. HARASHIMA

1/11:
Recommended: Ishikawa vs. Sasaki, Kuroshio vs. Ishii, Sakaguchi vs. Bailey, Takeshita vs. Takahashi

1/13:
Recommended: Takahashi vs. HARASHIMA
Highly Recommended: Bailey vs. Higuchi

1/14:
Highly Recommended: Ishii vs. Takeshita, Endo vs. HARASHIMA,  Bailey vs. Sasaki
Very Highly Recommended: Higuchi vs. Ishikawa

tbh I was so excited to finish the tournament that I haven't watched any of the opening tags on the shows, so there very well might be some KUDO goodness in them there tags

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Jiro Kuroshio: only man to have a longer entrance than The Undertaker.

I saw somebody on twitter crushing on Bailey's generic indie pop-ass theme song the other day and I was like, man, Jiro's theme is right there, don't you like feeling real joy?

Ishikawa is the current king of the Japanese indies, right? Was incredible in BJW and is now having great matches in both DDT and AJPW. Plus, BATTERY. I love watching that big sum'bitch wreck fools.

Whenever someone brings up Ishikawa I get a bit sad realizing that he is already 42 years old :( Anyone knows anything about his early career? Was he really bad in the beginning or were there some screw ups with the booking? Because I feel like he started getting respect that he deserves (and he still deserves more than he gets) only in last couple of years.