DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

Same deal as usual. For any discussions about what is happening in Japan, except for Joshi (which has its own thread), post it here. If you want to discuss a big event, feel free to start its own thread for it. Everyone be kind to each other since this forum is lightly moderated.

8 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I was excited to see what a good house they drew for that show. Doering-Zeus isn't exactly Okada-Omega on paper and there was pretty much nothing on the undercard....so kudos to AJPW for accumulating such a strong fanbase. 

I liked it way more than Alpha - Omega. Kento is really over with the AJ crowd now. More than when he was champion.

So who's good to order puro DVDS from?  I used to deal with IVP, Alfredo, Ginetty, etc. back in the day, but I haven't bought anything in years (probably 8-10).  In the mood to place an order, mostly NJPW and some Stardom shows.  KInda want to acquire the past 10 or so Wrestle KIngdom shows.

I was going to order from IVP, but it doesn't look like he's got much from 2017 (nothing at all from 2017 NJ).  Is he still around or is the website abandoned?

Most interested in WK.  If someone can point me to a reliable source, I'd be appreciative. 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

So who's good to order puro DVDS from?  I used to deal with IVP, Alfredo, Ginetty, etc. back in the day, but I haven't bought anything in years (probably 8-10).  In the mood to place an order, mostly NJPW and some Stardom shows.  KInda want to acquire the past 10 or so Wrestle KIngdom shows.

I was going to order from IVP, but it doesn't look like he's got much from 2017 (nothing at all from 2017 NJ).  Is he still around or is the website abandoned?

Most interested in WK.  If someone can point me to a reliable source, I'd be appreciative. 

Thanks.

Rudo Reels & IVP.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I don't know if you're into streaming but NJPW World has Wrestle Kingdoms and a lot of Dome matches from years past. There's also real hero archive.

Actually, I have a NJPW World subscription and access to the RealHero archives.  I've been watching a fair bit of puro lately, just not buying.  But I don't really enjoy streaming.  Since it saves me money. it's a decent option most of the time, but there are some shows I'd prefer to actually own on a disc somewhere  I could probably get WK to disc myself, but it's easier for me to just pay someone else.

Thanks.  I'll probably order from IVP later today and check out Rudo Reels.

The DDT D-King Grand Prix is off to a really amazing start. Especially if you throw in the tremendous 6-man main event of the 1/3 show (which, besides being great on its own, would be a terrific start if you haven't been into DDT in a while/ever and want to start watching), these last few days have had so many good matches. The roster is just loaded right now, and though I know Joey Ryan is divisive, everyone else in this round robin tournament is, I think, very good. Now is a great time to dip your toes into the DDT pool; start with the 1/3 main event, and then all the tournament matches on the 1/5 and 1/7 shows are pretty fun, with Ishikawa/Bailey and Takeshita/Kuroshio really standing out on night one, and Takeshita/Endo on night two.

• Like 1

I watched Yoshitatsu/Miyahara vs. Suwama/Ishikawa from the RWTL last night and it was really fun. They smartly worked the dynamic of the vulnerable Yoshitatsu and the ace Miayahara and the crowd, while initialliy pretty dead for the extended heat on Yoshitatsu, really started to buy in after about the 8-10 minute mark of the big boys beating the crap out of Yoshitatsu. It's great to see All Japan doing some very good attendances at Korakuen these days. I hope this is only the beginning of a longer resurgence for them. 

Doering vs. Zeus was a great mean guy match. You know it's going to be good when it starts with the two big boys charging each other and Doering shouting "come on motherfucker, show me power!" Joe bullying around the smaller Zeus then Zeus getting power hope spots with some really amazing suplexes on the relatively giant Doering made for a fun match. Fucking guy got Doering up for a press slam and some legit deadlift vertical suplexes. I haven't seen much of Zeus, so I'm going to guess that he went out of his comfort zone on the dive and top rope maneuvers against the big man, right? Anyway, super fun match well worth your time.

P.S. When did Kyohei Wada turn into only a slightly less annoying Red Shoes? Guy literally dragged Zeus onto Doering after the Jackhammer. He was without rival in the '90s and now this. I know he started doing the delayed third count ages ago, which pisses me off to no end (takes the art of the kickout away and is just absurd for kayfabe reasons), but now he's getting way too involved in matches. Add to that, he was the official for the Act Yasukawa/Yoshiko disaster.

25 minutes ago, GojiColin said:

And because fans of anything are by and large shitty, Mimori fans have been sending Okada death threats because he took their Waifu.

I wish I could say I'm shocked, but the whole idol/seiyuu fandom industry is still really shitty.  Hell, it's almost the 5 year anniversary of the Minegishi incident and nothing has changed.

So, Kenoh vs a returning Kaito Kiyomiya was really good. 

-There's a neck welt and a bloody nose. 

-Doesn't overstay its welcome, especially by heavyweight title match standards. 

-Unique finish. 

-Crowd is, of course, very happy to see Kiyomiya, and gets behind him. But he earns the cheers, too. There are some awkward sequences that look like a nervous guy being a bit careful, but he shows enough passion it's hard to care too much. Funny thing, since he's always referred to as a Misawa fan, and wears the green trunks, that he's decidedly not stoic. If he wore less narratively loaded colors, I'd say he's transparently a Kobashi fan. Regardless, he's a 21-year-old real heavyweight who has real promise, which is obviously great for NOAH.

-Kenoh is the present, though, and he kicks really goddamn hard. I have to be honest that he was under my radar until his heavyweight ascent, but he's really compelling so far. I love the run New Japan is currently on, but there's been a bit of a Shibata-shaped hole in my viewing... and, well, Kenoh certainly has a very different aesthetic, but he also has that serious face that's like a taut rubber band, then suddenly vicious, and he lays everything in. Also his robe is great.

-Red, black, and gold pants are the trendy outfit for aces now, aren't they? Kenoh, Miyahara, and Okada...

Unrelated! Kenny vs Ishikawa would rule. (To say nothing of the others, but it could actually happen.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Last I saw, yes. He shaved his head and is a crusty pissed off old guy now. Him and Nagata should be a great team because both can play the Tenryu role.

I def see him in that role. I'm wondering if he's got a good CC run or even a solid TC reign left in him.

(Related: he and Miyahara must have had a singles match at some point, I'm assuming)