DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIUM 2018

odessasteps

Grew up watching Night Court; my mom and I would watch it on the TV in the kitchen.  And the parallels are hard to not see:  My mom, born in April, died at age 65 in her home, just a short day drive to Asheville where she loved to visit when she needed the time away.

I loved the "Red Ranger" episode.  Kinda poignant, for the moment. 

NPR's Carl Kasell has died at 84. He was the judge and scorekeeper on "Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me!", and listeners who won got an answering machine or voice mail recording from Kasell as the prize. Here's one example ...

• Sad 1

Just now, colonial said:

NPR's Carl Kasell has died at 84. He was the judge and scorekeeper on "Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me!", and listeners who won got an answering machine or voice mail recording from Kasell as the prize. Here's one example ...

Came here to mention this.  As someone who mostly knew him from WWDTM, I had no idea he'd been the host of Morning Edition for ages (because I basically only listened to it after school or on the weekend).

On 4/16/2018 at 5:55 AM, J.T. said:

I am sad. 

I have Full Metal Jacket on Blu Ray and I rarely watch any further than the Paris Island scenes.

RIP.

Same here. As soon as Private Pyle kills himself, that's when I quit watching. 

• Like 1

TV and movie producer Paul Junger Witt has died at 77.

A sitcom machine in the 70s and 80s with such shows as "The Golden Girls", "Soap", "Benson", "Partridge Family" and "Blossom".

He also produced the films "Dead Poets Society" and "Three Kings", as well as the original version of "Brian's Song".

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, J.T. said:

I am sad. 

I have Full Metal Jacket on Blu Ray and I rarely watch any further than the Paris Island scenes.

RIP.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:18 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Same here. As soon as Private Pyle kills himself, that's when I quit watching. 

Another voice to the choir.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will mention this here since he spanned genres (if you will)

Tom Wolfe has passed away at the age of 87

Spanned genres, I daresay he did... Perhaps the most famous writer to appear in an issue of Dr. Strange... RIP to the man in the white suit.

Australian actress Cornelia Frances (Home and Away, host of the Australian version of The Weakest Link) passed away from bladder cancer at the age of 77