DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIUM 2018

odessasteps

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And was basically the only actor Kubrick let ab lib extensively.

I believe he allowed Peter Sellers to ad lib. Though that's probably due to a combination of Peter Sellers being a comic genius and Stanley Kubrick not being Stanley Kubrick yet when he made Lolita and Dr. Strangelove...

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I looked up his post Night Court career last month and was pretty depressed by some of it.

His Nutty Professor remake was far superior to Robin Williams's, dammit.

ETA: And of course, I meant Absent-Minded Professor, not Nutty Professor. I feel dumb as hell.

The longer the evening goes, the more this hurts.  I'm sure I've said here before that Night Court was the first grown-up sitcom I ever loved and that it was the basis of a lot of my idea of humor when I was 11-13.  This has hit me harder than any celebrity death since Bowie. To re-use a phrase I've posted in 2 or three places already today, it's a reminder that all the people who made the things I loved as a kid, the things that helped me decide who I am, were 25-40 years older than I was. And now that I'm in my forties, that means they're senior citizens and they're reaching the end of their run.  This would have weighed heavily on me anytime a Harry Anderson dies, but coming this closely after McCann, Forman and Ermey it's a brick in the face.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I looked up his post Night Court career last month and was pretty depressed by some of it.

It doesn't seem like he was that into screen acting, though. I mean even if he wasn't going to be an A list guy he could have worked way more. I find it astounding he only has 30 credits listed (not counting "Himself" listings.   For a guy like that, two hit sitcoms is more than enough to live off of and then do what you want with your time.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:17 AM, The Great ML said:

R. Lee Ermey passed this morning.

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman owned that first act of Full Metal Jacket.

Yeah, gutted when I heard. R Lee Ermey was amazing in Full Metal Jacket. Need to watch that opening again.

Sad to hear about Harry Anderson.  I grew up on his stand-up comedy routines about the art of the con and casual magic tricks..

His sleight of hand skills were unreal.

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1