DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIUM 2018

odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...

This one hurts.  Jim Hendricks, better known to some of us as COMMANDER U.S.A. from USA Network's COMMANDER U.S.A.'s GROOVY MOVIES has died.

godspeed+commaner+usa.jpg

He was an every Saturday thing for me in my adolescence and was a big part of what made USA network amazing in the early days of cable. He also got me a genuine ass-kicking when my old man saw I ran up a huge phone bill trying to win his "Spend the night at the Norman Bates House" contest to promote PSYCHO 3.  I really wanted that Psycho 3 shower radio.

I regret nothing.

I was also fully convinced that my future life was going to be essentially what he is depicting. I would live in some sort of shack underneath a local mall and watch crappy old movies while pretending to talk to people about them even though I was alone. Come to think of it....that's not too far off.

You can still see a lot of complete episodes on Youtube. I suggest you do just that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

This one hurts.  Jim Hendricks, better known to some of us as COMMANDER U.S.A. from USA Network's COMMANDER U.S.A.'s GROOVY MOVIES has died.

NOOOOOOOOOOO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Steven Bochco

It’s amazing the amount of talent on a show that lasted only a month.

Oh, and the first episode (not the pilots) of Colombo, the one with Jack Cassidy dir3cted by Spielberg. 

• Like 1

Chuck McCann who played goofy looking weirdos in tons of 70s-90s shows/movies and a mountain of voice-over work has died.

Far+Out+Space+Nuts+%252819a%2529+copy.jp He's the guy next to Bob Denver here.

He was also one of my favorite Columbo characters ever, the skeevy projector operator murdered by Robert Culp:

tumblr_p2vgqnW7jZ1tgud0do2_1280.jpg

27 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

R. Lee Ermey passed this morning.

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman owned that first act of Full Metal Jacket.

Marines die. That's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever, and that means you live forever.

Rest in Peace, Sgt. Ermey

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It truly is amazing that a basically untrained actor stole a Kubrick movie to the point where you don’t really care about what happens after his character dies.

And was basically the only actor Kubrick let ab lib extensively.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Great ML said:

R. Lee Ermey passed this morning.

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman owned that first act of Full Metal Jacket.

I am sad. 

I have Full Metal Jacket on Blu Ray and I rarely watch any further than the Paris Island scenes.

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1