DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

rohworld site  and the roh twitter are all full of people demanding refunds.  Maybe this is what ROH needs in order to get their shit together.  Just sad to be missing the show live.  Also ROH posting spoiler pics while they know the honor club is down is really low class and fucked up.

Delirious as a booker is absolute dirt. First, I couldn't tell who the babyface was for a whole in this match and then King finally starts winning the crowd over, culminating with a crazy finishing spot that popped the crowd hard only to run that dog shit finish leaving King dead in the water. 

• Like 1

Awesome but flawed first chapter for those two. Crowd is burnt out from 4 hour show but they were hot when they were supposed to be and I think these two have a better, tighter match in them. Cody is so fucking good at little things and being a loathsome heel. I really enjoyed his reaction to the Cross Rhodes kickout. Not the usual melodramatic reaction but a look of defeat and fatigue. 

Good luck Marty and Dalton. 

• Like 2

It’s a bit funny ROH has become the gaga/sports entertainment/wrasslin’ show this weekend, with angles on angles in Cody/Kenny. I could have done without some of it, but I’m invested in the whole thing. Except the bear. And Flip. So... I’m invested in everything else. 

Disappointing if you were expecting the blowoff, Cody’s best match ever, etc., but it’s a great first battle after the previous skirmishes.

Sadly, I think going second to last telegraphed the finish really, really strong.

I’m here live awesome match that lulled abs spots but picked up when it needed too. 

Still think it should have went on last. 

Dalton and Marty are getting the Triple H vs Jericho Mania 18 treatment.

• Like 1

Match went too long and the show as a whole has gone on way, way too long particularly when you take into account the majority of fans probably have already been to a handful of shows the past few days and are saving themselves for Mania tomorrow too. Just dumb matchmaking. Still, I think the sequel in New Japan will be better but it could and should have been better in parts. I say that as being of the opinion it was great. I would've liked more hate early on and a little bit more of a shine from Kenny in the first act. This to me felt like a great Cody performance and an average Kenny one. 

@Web Conn was the crowd very quiet for the Tana tag? That's how they came off on the stream.

They tried really hard and it was pretty good but in an impossible spot.

Overall the show had some great matches, but nothing motyc calibre and needed to trim a good 90 minutes. 

I was there live and agree with what @Web Conn

said. Kenny/Cody not being last was a stupid decision. I felt bad walking out during the main as I like both. But considering I was gonna get back late it was best for me to leave. But if they switched those two matches I sure would have stayed for it.

I could go for days on how stupid it was to have the tag title match after intermission. The Bully segment would have been fine for that spot. And Tenille losing was horrible also, lots of bullshit chants. But aside from that it was a rather enjoyable show with some great matches.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see what somebody who really knew what they were doing could do with the ROH roster and particularly the NJPW (and to a lesser extent CMLL) relationships. There's a lot to like and this is after losing so many promising talents the past 2 years but they're not being set-up for success by the booker man. That show had so many glaring issues that an amateur like me could see them and it really turned what should've been a special spectacle into just a really good show with two or three 4 star matches. How you can't get the crowd hyped for Tanahashi & Jay Lethal vs. The Birscoes... whut da hale.

• Thanks 1

I didn't watch the show (read the spoilers online) but is it true that ROH booked a 2-year undefeated streak for Klein, only to give the shine to a 46-year-old wrestler?! That blows my mind.  It would be like WCW wasting the ender of Goldberg's streak being a guy in his forties...oh (All right to be fair, Nash was around 39 at the time!).  Makes me think Dashwood or Purrazzo aren't signed long-term and they didn't want to risk giving them the big streak-ending push (In which case, it would probably make more sense to let Klein win it and have Sakai chase for it...).  I'm seriously baffled by this piece of booking.

Then again the show also had a

nonsensical Bully Ray heel turn so...

so...

• Like 1

Yeah man. And they had the women go out there after Ibushi and Page tore the house down in what may have been the match of the night. Just. So. Many. Dumb. Decisions. It really makes me appreciate Gedo-sama more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

It would be interesting to see what somebody who really knew what they were doing could do with the ROH roster and particularly the NJPW (and to a lesser extent CMLL) relationships. There's a lot to like and this is after losing so many promising talents the past 2 years but they're not being set-up for success by the booker man. That show had so many glaring issues that an amateur like me could see them and it really turned what should've been a special spectacle into just a really good show with two or three 4 star matches. How you can't get the crowd hyped for Tanahashi & Jay Lethal vs. The Birscoes... whut da hale.

I'm not sure what RoH can really do. Sure, they are based in USA and NJPW/CMLL want to be bigger in USA, but RoH is still a little brother in this relationship. Is RoH in essence a Bullet Club show because Delirious wants this or because NJPW wants that? Is one of their top guys, Lethal, eating a pin in tag team match because Delirious wants it? Or because NJPW ain't giving them Tanahashi otherwise? Did Delirious come out with this brilliant idea of RoH trios champs getting beaten clean in SSE opener by a team that has somewhat flopped in NJPW?

As for getting excited for Tanahashi/Jay vs Briscoes, well I think everyone knows that Tanahashi isn't going to stick around so the outcome was telegraphed the moment that match was announced.

In theory I can get behind the idea of putting Omega/Cody in semi-main because this is NJPW program and it isn't ending here so positioning your world champ on the top and have him beat another guy, who is becoming NJPW-guy in everyone's mind, might make sense. But on the other hand maybe you shouldn't be doing this big course correction on your biggest show when it was already built around being Bullet Club big show?

The show has been over for hours and Honor Club is still working terribly for me. Keeps freezing every few seconds, now the audio just restarted without the picture. I'm not even trying to watch the whole show, but it's taking literally three times the actual match time to get through a single match.

What a waste of fucking money this was.

5 hours ago, Cleavy said:

I don't understand the booking of the WoH tournament AT ALL.

ROH didn't either! It seemed like they would crown the champion more like June or August based on how they were showing the matches on TV then before they even finished showing the 1st round of matches they announced on the website Semi and Finals at SCOH. 

At this point most of the matches have been spoiled. All this after trying to remain spoiler free to watch the show.  I could have streamed the show for free this morning but instead I paid for honor club and in return received nothing but a shitty product and maybe half of the ishii match. I will be getting a refund tomorrow and hopefully you put in for one also Brian.