DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

6 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Sadly I think Taven will win the belt at some this year or next. 

What's wrong with that? He can work, he can cut promos, he's been there forever, he came back from a nasty injury and worked hard to regain form.

These are all qualities any indie, big or little, would love to have in their champion.

I'm slowly becoming a Matt Taven fan. When I first saw Taven four years ago in those purple bike shorts I thought he was a fucking idiot. I don't want to like him but since the Ospreay match he has been consistent. I held up his end of the Cody feud. Cody was preoccupied with Kenny, but they had a good match at the Anniversary Show. The Conspiracy stuff with the Kingdom has been fun. They were a highlight of Supercard. I hope they beat SoCal Uncensored for the 6 man titles soon.

16 hours ago, alstein said:

There was a viral youtube vid about 30 or so different Sinclair stations spewing out a rather blatant propaganda piece that Trump wanted, followed by some Sinclair folks saying they hated to do it, so Sinclair's a boogeyman right now.   Sinclair is considered one of Trump's strongest allies, so it's being politicized (and Sinclair is legitimately awful- I will not attend a ROH show due to them as long as Trump is president)

Fight the power

15 hours ago, Archibald said:

Don't forget Mexico.

I was surprised a bit when ZSJ signed with NJPW due to that. I don't really know anything about NJPW's higher ups (and I don't really care), but I wouldn't be surprised if many of them turned out to be on the right politically.

Eh, speaking as someone with politics similar to Zack, he's hardly unique in having to make compromises to get along in life.We live in a capitalist society, many employers are at best amoral but you have to put food on the table and a roof over your head. And he's in his 30s now, the additional security of an extended contract with one of the biggest employers in his field is presumably good to have. Life as a freelancer is going to have to be pretty stressful.

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, ChesterCopperpot said:

Liger announced for the WOTW tour - finally get to see him wrestle live 

14 hours ago, Infinit said:

Ditto!

Guess you guys missed him when he came to Mississauga in 2007.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=11617

What an amazing, bizarre main event that was in retrospect. Liger and TJP (under a mask as Puma) vs. Ultimo Dragon and a young Okada.

Imagine living in a world where the hierarchical political leanings of any company was a factor in whether a wrestler would theoretically take a payday.

Meanwhile, in the real world, people have bills to pay and couldn't give a fuck

• Like 4

I generally like Taven even when he was the Pauly Shore-looking guy trying to make it in the company.  He's come pretty far and I wouldn't be mad seeing him get the title one day.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Abstaining from further political talk if I can help it, don't want to derail thread further.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I generally like Taven even when he was the Pauly Shore-looking guy trying to make it in the company.  He's come pretty far and I wouldn't be mad seeing him get the title one day.

I followed him for years in NEPW , I got to know him a bit when he worked in Pittsburgh and he is a really cool down to earth guy. I don't care much for the Kingdom gimmick or him as a stable leader  but I think he would make a great TV champ.

• Like 1

Taven won me over at the Mt. Pleasant show during intermission. Stood on the merch booth and cut a promo/conversation insulting everyone and selling Kingdom shirts for ten minutes straight without ever ceasing to be entertaining and funny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Taven won me over at the Mt. Pleasant show during intermission. Stood on the merch booth and cut a promo/conversation insulting everyone and selling Kingdom shirts for ten minutes straight without ever ceasing to be entertaining and funny.

Jakob Hammermeier did this as well at a Chikara show and did Slater's I got kids gimmick 3 years before he did it.  

Guest Edwin

ROH TBT

Lacey, the American Beaty and I'm Kevin Spacey... 

Came across this on YouTube and I have an urge to dive into old ROH shows just to rewatch the Jimmy Loves Lacey angle and those crazy Jimmy Jacobs and BJ Whitmer matches.

Apparently there was a backstage fight at a recent ROH show when an extra (It was one of those Wrestle Talk vids and that's what they said?!) sat in Christopher Daniels' seat, wouldn't move, talked shit then got his ass handed to him by Flip Gordon.  

Someone's gonna have to explain the mindset there to me. I mean, I know wrestling locker rooms tend to be really strangely territorial, but if you happened to accidentally sit in the wrong place, why the fuck would you do anything other than politely apologize and move?

And really really why the fuck would you talk shit to Daniels who you know damn well is likely the most respected person in that locker room or damn near it, and will almost certainly be defended by everyone?

• Like 1

On 2018-04-21 at 11:54 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Someone's gonna have to explain the mindset there to me. I mean, I know wrestling locker rooms tend to be really strangely territorial, but if you happened to accidentally sit in the wrong place, why the fuck would you do anything other than politely apologize and move?

And really really why the fuck would you talk shit to Daniels who you know damn well is likely the most respected person in that locker room or damn near it, and will almost certainly be defended by everyone?

Maybe "extra" doesn't know any of this nor cares.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Maybe "extra" doesn't know any of this nor cares.

I guess. Turns out it's a good way to get your ass kicked by a National Guard member with MMA training. 

Granted, said Guardsman is a moron who pours milk before cereal and thinks the Earth is flat, but...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Flip Gordon sucks

That and he lost to a dog for who fans want to see at All In.  Granted, it's Cody's dog and it a cute dog.  But the point stands.

And I tried pouring cereal on top of milk once.  How one can live this way is beyond me.