DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

11 hours ago, Archibald said:

Sorry for double post.

Watched that Villain Enterprise video and am I the only one thinking that this is going to be another stepping stone for Taven? Enterprise beats Kingdom for trios belts at some point. Then at anniversary show (I think it is last one before MSG?) Taven beats Marty and takes his title shot? And at MSG we have Lethal/Taven?

I know that Marty is more popular and more liked, but if I'm not mistaken his contract ends soon so I can see why RoH wouldn't put him into their main match on their biggest card.

I think Marty is under contract through the fall of next year.

The smart thing would be to go *ahem* all in on him and get the absolute most they can out of their last remaining Elite member, while simultaneously building someone up who can take the title off him and carry things when he's gone, so they don't end up in another situation like they are right now, where the world and tag belts are right back on Lethal and the Briscoes, aka the exact same people on top of the promotion before the Bullet Club exploded.

But we all know how likely that is.

• Like 2

Bullshit websites say it was only a six-month extension. I went through the Observers from around August and couldn't find mention of the extension. I remember hearing something along the lines of Marty being around until at least MSG though.

I like the VE stable line-up, but it may as well be called Tweener Enterprises since someone booked this shit so that the Kingdom just put them over as semi-faces.

You wouldn't think that the book would bring in guys like PCO and King just to protect Marty as he makes a World Championship title run, OTOH King and PCO don't really need titles in order to get over.  

Either VE will snatch the Trios belts from the Kingdom, or there will be a brief stable vs. stable feud right before a blow-off where Marty finally challenges Lethal for the belt.  With all of the bluster, I have to think they put the belt on the Villain at some point, but I don't think he'll keep it for very long.

Taven's well respected and he's been a good company guy, so you'd think he'd get rewarded with a RoH title run before his contract runs out.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

I'm not sure if it makes sense to pretend that Marty is a heel.

I keep waiting for Marty to actually roll as Villain advertised and it has yet to happen.

At the end of that clip where he stood tall in the ring with Brody King and PCO and got a fucking face pop, I thought to myself, "Something is wrong with this booking..." 

If I am a heel and I walk into an arena with Brody King and PCO as my army, people should be pissing themselves out of fear.

But then it dawned on me that the booking got exactly the reaction from the audience that it was supposed to get, so then my conclusion changed to, "Something is wrong with RoH shills.."

I don't think Marty is a heel at all in ROH. The main heel faction came out to attack him 3 on 1, he had backup. VE will be babyfaces, at least for now.

I mean, there's a ton wrong with babyface/heel dynamics in ROH, but I think they were clearly meant to be faces.

Anyone thinking Brody King and PCO were coming in and not getting a face reaction is crazy. Why even bother to force them into heel roles when the crowd would reject it? A feud with The Kingdom is the perfect first feud for VE. VE can win the six man titles by beating either TK or Vinny, so Taven stays protected. I have a feeling Marty is going to get the world title at MSG. If it happens, I am going to mark the fuck out.

• Like 1

I want to get back in the ROH loop, I really want to see Greshams work and Cobb too. It's about time Sainclair really invest in ROH, It will be interesting to how they shape the roster in time for the MSG show. It's just an interesting time because you obviously have someone putting money in MLW locking guys in too mainly bringing in talent from Mexico 

• Like 1

Really looking forward to what's in store for ROH in 2019. Villain Enterprises, the signing of Bandido and now Mark Haskins. Looks like ROH is taking there post-Elite era very seriously and that's very refreshing. They just need to hurry up and get a better tv deal!

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anyone thinking Brody King and PCO were coming in and not getting a face reaction is crazy. Why even bother to force them into heel roles when the crowd would reject it? 

Eh, even Kenny Omega had the good taste to cut heel promos even though we all knew the roof would blow off with face pops whenever he came to the ring. .

My problem isn't really with PCO or Brody King getting face reaction.  My problem is that The Villain isn't a very good villain, nor is he even an effective grey worker.

This VE vs. Kingdom deal could've been booked as a battle of apex predators jockeying for position, but it is clearly a face stable vs. heel stable deal.  It's not even a tween stable vs. heel stable booking. 

Marty cannot even sell his gimmick like Jay Lethal or Matt Taven do theirs, where they both view face pops as the crowd RIGHTFULLY worshiping at the feet of the best wrestlers alive.   Jay and Matt both soak up their praise as they enter the ring and still dismiss the audience as a bunch of carny marks when they cut a promo.

That is some high level heeling going on right there.

ROH was smart enough to put Marty in the company of two guys that are guaranteed to get me to watch his matches, so someone with the book knows what he's fucking doing.

• Like 2

Mark Haskins has also signed a deal with ROH. I like the Elite, but there was nothing left for the Bucks and Cody to do in ROH. Adam Page is the one I wish stuck around. Brody King, PCO, Bandido, and Mark Haskins are what ROH needed. Things feel fresh for the first time in a long time. I feel like they still need to add another tag team.

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet - Adam Pearce quit his position with ROH

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned ROH employee BJ Whitmer has parted ways with the company.

Sources confirm Whitmer resigned this afternoon from his position in Ring of Honor. We’re told BJ had been unhappy with management for months and that was his reasoning for quitting. 

Whitmer made his ROH debut in 2003. After a hiatus from the ring, he returned in 2012 and went on to form The Decade with Jimmy Jacobs and Roderick Strong. 

As of late, Whitmer has been doing color commentary for ROH, training at the ROH Dojo and working as an operations manager for the company.  He also worked in a backstage role during ALL IN. 

On 12/21/2018 at 11:25 AM, Ace said:

Just because they're both bald, Adam Pearce and BJ Whitmer are not the same person.

They were both in the Hangmen 3. I always thought Jimmy Rave was supposed to be the third member before he abruptly quit in 2007. Brent Albright just came off a world title match with Morishima where he came off looking great, even in defeat. Then, there was a three way match with Morishima defending against Albright and Claudio.

I asked Gabe in an AMA once if Jimmy Rave was originally supposed to be in the Hangmen 3, as it made more sense. Rave was on a losing streak and could have been swayed easily by Adam Pearce's manipulation, like BJ Whitmer was. Albright just came off almost winning the world title twice and had gotten great reactions in both matches, then turned heel out of nowhere to join Pearce's job squad. Gabe said that it's possible that Rave was supposed to be in that spot rather than Brent, but he didn't really remember. 

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2018/12/23/roh-news-bandido-and-mark-hasksing-sign-contracts-gresham-held-off-tv-tapings-in-philly-update-on-s-c-u-young-bucks-announce-they-wont-be-at-msg-w-radicans-analysis/

-Multiple sources have confirmed that Jonathan Gresham was held off the ROH TV tapings held in Philadelphia last weekend after leaving the building during Final Battle after his match with Zack Sabre Jr. Gresham was said to have been extremely upset after the match, but the main issue with him leaving the venue is that he was supposed to interfere in the semi-main event, which saw Jay Lethal successfully defend the ROH World Title against Cody Rhodes.

Gresham is currently getting the biggest push of his career with a spotlight match against Zack Sabre Jr. at Final Battle and a long-term feud with Jay Lethal that concluded with a standout MOTYC on ROH TV last September. Gresham had recently also began teaming with Lethal in tag team matches. Multiple sources tell PWTorch that Gresham is extremely difficult to work with when it comes to putting together matches and is difficult to work with. One ROH source told PWTorch he would have fired Gresham if it were up to him for leaving the building during the Final Battle PPV.

Radican’s Analysis: I was surprised to hear this news about Gresham, but when talking to various talent that has worked with Gresham and other independent promoters, Gresham has a reputation for being difficult to work with, especially when it comes to planning matches. Gresham was getting a big push in ROH and doing really well, as he had the best feud of 2018 in the company with Jay Lethal and got a spotlight singles match with Sabre at Final Battle.

There is no word on if there will be any further punishment for Gresham other than him being removed from the TV tapings in Phildelphia last weekend. Hopefully this all blows over and Gresham can continue to get a big push, as he brings something unique to the table for ROH. 

I hope things work out since I enjoy some of his work. Makes we wonder if Page had that weird interference only because they had planned it and Gresham wasn't around?

On 12/25/2018 at 2:23 AM, Archibald said:

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2018/12/23/roh-news-bandido-and-mark-hasksing-sign-contracts-gresham-held-off-tv-tapings-in-philly-update-on-s-c-u-young-bucks-announce-they-wont-be-at-msg-w-radicans-analysis/

I hope things work out since I enjoy some of his work. Makes we wonder if Page had that weird interference only because they had planned it and Gresham wasn't around?

In the WON blurb - it was stated that Gresham was supposed to make the save for Lethal and that is why it was so awkward because everyone was just waiting around for him to show up

• Thanks 1

• RIPPA locked this topic