DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

20 hours ago, caley said:

So Daniels is facing Scurll for his title shot at Final Battle to save his job.  

This storyline makes little to no sense since SCU basically turned face.  The crowd cheers for Daniels but Kidd won’t re-sign him based on a ruling from last January that he made.  Why can’t he just say “I changed my mind, you’ve redeemed yourself”?!  Because ROH, really.  

Daniels pretty much explained it in one of his most recent promos that if he were Joe Koff he wouldn't trust him either based on Daniels past, and the possibility Daniels could possibly go back to being the same old bastard once he has a new contract.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Daniels pretty much explained in one of his most recent promos that if he were Joe Koff he wouldn't trust him either based on Daniels past, and the possibility Daniels could possibly go back to being the same old bastard once he has a new contract.

It’s still bizarre.  I wonder what the original end game was for this storyline.  I can’t imagine the plan all along was for the random face turn and out of the blue tag title win over a team they weren’t feuding with.  That is if there was ever a planned out ending...

On 12/12/2018 at 8:18 PM, caley said:

It’s still bizarre.  I wonder what the original end game was for this storyline.  I can’t imagine the plan all along was for the random face turn and out of the blue tag title win over a team they weren’t feuding with.  That is if there was ever a planned out ending...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't.  BTE turned SCU face.   The whole issue with All Elite clouds things up a bit more, because while Marty's got longer on his ROH contract than the other Elite folks, if AEW happens Marty will obviously be bolting.

• Like 1

Uh, is it just me, or is the sad/bored very attractive lady in the front row really distracting? ?‍♂️

Cobb/Page was great. Both guys are stars in the ring and Page has come a long way since people laughed him off. The long-term, slow build for Page really paid off (NJPW and the G1 certainly helped) and now just as they would think about building up to the tippy top he's likely out the door.

Gresham vs. ZSJ was really different from most anything you'll see. It reminded me of early UWF style where there isn't a tonne of selling, almost none really, but it's a hyper aggressive form of chain and mat wrestling with some strikes thrown in. Loved it and they could easily outdo it in the future if given more time.

• Like 2

The sad/bored lady is very distracting.

ZSJ/Gresham needed more time. King/Isom could have been scrapped and that time added to ZSJ/Gresham. I'm all for a rematch. 

Cobb/Page was awesome. If I'm not mistaken, I thought Page re-signed with ROH. If he's around longer, he'll get the TV title and/or get moved to the world title picture.

Looks like Daniels will get his new contract for taking the cane shot intended for Cary.

Flip's girlfriend clearly hates wrestling. Those of us DVDVR members in relationships can relate to that.

27 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That whole match fucking ruled. And my lecherous inclinations were vindicated...? They prominently displayed her there in the middle of the front row for a reason.

Admittedly, I was disappointed it didn't end with Buh Buh Ray going through the flaming table.

• Like 1

I kind of loved Flip running around on the outside shouting and then they completely overshot the table on the back body drop. And then they didn't break it because they went straight to the finishing stretch with the SO.

Yeah flips girlfriend was an amusing distraction. That’s definitely a case where she should have just been brought out right before the match started. It’s not like it was a shocking revelation. 

That ladder match was wild. Cobb vs Page was outstanding and I really enjoyed the show overall, but the main event was nuts. Have to watch it again here soon. 

• Like 1

ROH TV this week was entertaining but it also kinda hammered home how quickly they rebooked the world title feud rather nonsensically once they knew Cody was leaving.  Because, since about mid-summer, they’ve been pushing Matt Taven toward the main event and when Lethal won they gave Taven the visual pinfall first.  Then Taven started carrying around his fake world title, then he started feuding with Lethal and then out of nowhere they announced Lethal-Cody and Taven started a pretty nonsensical feud with Castle.  The holiday tag was confirmation that it wasn’t supposed to go that way with Lethal and Taven captaining opposing teams.  

I think they should have carried on with the Lethal and Taven feud. I think the Lethal-Cody stuff was pretty heartless because everyone knew Cody wasn’t leaving with the title.  It probably would’ve been better to put all the Elite guys into a big farewell multi man tag to be honest.  Cody and the Bucks against Silas and the Bouncers would have been more of a crowd pleaser IMO.  Then you could have done the ladder wars with SCU, Briscoes and maybe Coast to Coast or the Kingdom or something instead.  

36 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

It's not truly ROH if they don't do head scratching things with the World title picture. 

Adam Pearce-HDNet era- Jim Cornette-SBG-Delirious era- absolutely true

Gabe-era made sense for the most part. Morishima beating Homicide was a head scratcher and a holy shit moment live. For Homicide, it was all about the chase rather than the reign itself. While Morishima's reign was to appease NOAH and build him up for the GHC heavyweight title, just about everybody he defended against came out looking better than they did before. I think Gabe did wait too long before putting the title on Nigel. Tyler Black was supposed to get the belt at Final Battle '08 if Gabe hadn't been fired. 

As for present day ROH, I'm all in on Villain Enterprises. Going through Matt Taven and his job boys is a perfect first feud for them. I would love to see PCO & Brody King battle the Briscoes for the tag titles. That would be an insane brawl. I feel like we're going to get Marty vs. Lethal at MSG with Marty winning the title. That match would be fine in the near the top of the card, not a mid-card comedy match like Lethal/Flip at All In.

Sorry for double post.

Watched that Villain Enterprise video and am I the only one thinking that this is going to be another stepping stone for Taven? Enterprise beats Kingdom for trios belts at some point. Then at anniversary show (I think it is last one before MSG?) Taven beats Marty and takes his title shot? And at MSG we have Lethal/Taven?

I know that Marty is more popular and more liked, but if I'm not mistaken his contract ends soon so I can see why RoH wouldn't put him into their main match on their biggest card.

I don't want to get too overly optimistic because Delirious, but PCO; Brody King; and Bandido are a great start to the post Bullet Club/Elite era. Of the Elite, Adam Page was the one I felt there was still more to do with. I imagine PCO & Brody King will work as the tag team of Villain Enterprises, but I feel like another team is needed to fill the ranks. Maybe if the Best Friends aren't split up, we get more appearances from them. An excursion from Kushida would be nice to have Time Machine as regulars. I'd try to sign the SSB once the five year ban is up for Uno, I think.

The Bandido article said ROH is trying to sign talent that was on All In, so my guess of who they go after next is MJF.

One of the articles mentioned that Flamita is also being scouted by multiple companies, including RoH. If they manage to get him as well then it would basically solve their tag team division problems.

As for All In show, nobody else really stands out asides of MJF unless it is someone from pre-show rumble? Or maybe Britt Baker if she is not signed already by someone?

I wonder whats the catch here. Were they paying that much to Bucks and Cody that they can now sign multiple hot indie names to exclusive contracts? Or is Sinclair giving them more money due to MSG show? Either way things are starting to look interesting for RoH. Before they signed Cobb it looked like they'd collapse once The Elite left. But now I'd say they have more talent than they had in a while.

47 minutes ago, Archibald said:

One of the articles mentioned that Flamita is also being scouted by multiple companies, including RoH. If they manage to get him as well then it would basically solve their tag team division problems.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Of the Elite, Adam Page was the one I felt there was still more to do with. 

He would have eventually been the top guy in ROH. In AEW, he'll always be behind Cody and (presumably) Kenny. I'd get it if there was any kind of guarantee that he was going to a bigger promotion, but even with everything they have going for them, AEW is a start-up promotion facing an uphill battle to survive.

• Like 2