DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

As much as I want to keep supporting ROH after being such a fan of its formative years, putting The Sandman and Bubba Ray on tv (in a wrestling capacity no less) makes it really hard.

Bully Ray is one of the more entertaining acts ROH has at the moment, and I doubt Sandman was anything more than a one-off for the Flip/Bully program.

• Like 2

Wow...Toronto is getting Christopher Daniel's vs Matt Taven too. Stacked card! All I need now is a Jeff Cobb match and I'm good lol

Edit: Here's what we have so far

Lethal vs King for ROH title

Cody vs Beretta for NJPW US Title

SCU vs SSB for ROH tag titles

Naito & Bushi vs Dalton & Juice

Sanada & Evil vs Briscoes

Young Bucks vs KUSHIDA & Sabin

Chuckie T vs Hangman Page

Christopher Daniels vs Matt Taven

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

Wow...Toronto is getting Christopher Daniel's vs Matt Taven too. Stacked card! All I need now is a Jeff Cobb match and I'm good lol

Edit: Here's what we have so far

Lethal vs King for ROH title

Cody vs Beretta for NJPW US Title

SCU vs SSB for ROH tag titles

Naito & Bushi vs Dalton & Juice

Sanada & Evil vs Briscoes

Young Bucks vs KUSHIDA & Sabin

Chuckie T vs Hangman Page

Christopher Daniels vs Matt Taven

I'm so glad I ordered this show.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 4:09 PM, Infinit said:

Tennille Dashwood is advertised for the meet and greet so there will probably be a WOH match as well.

Edit: Tenille is injured, so probably no WOH match

Actually, there was. It was Toronto native, Kaitlin Diemond (making her ROH debut) vs. Karen Q. in a qualifying match for the WoH 4-way title match at Final Battle.

Due to Cody's injury, it was Baretta vs. Juice Robinson.

Naito & Bushi ended up taking on TK O'Ryan & Vinny Marseglia. I can't properly express how much I hate Marseglia. I like the idea of the "Horror King" gimmick, but his execution is so fucking bad. If he were a horror director, he wouldn't be John Carpenter or Tobe Hooper or George A. Romero, he'd be Rob Zombie. I find TK O'Ryan really bland. He's not a bad wrestler by any means, but nothing about him is interesting. The Kingdom got way more offense in this match than they should have. 

44 minutes ago, alstein said:

The Beretta/Juice match made NJPW World.   Really good smart match built around cumulative damage and good selling.

If Cody can't drop the US title back to Juice, I'd have another Juice/Baretta match for the title.

Cody said on Twitter (so usual skepticism on the work/shoot line) that his match against Jay Lethal with be his last ROH match

Not really surprising based on all the other reporting around him but at a minimum he isn't re-signing the ROH exclusive deal

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Cody said on Twitter (so usual skepticism on the work/shoot line) that his match against Jay Lethal with be his last ROH match

Not really surprising based on all the other reporting around him but at a minimum he isn't re-signing the ROH exclusive deal

I get the feeling all the Elite guys are just going to go freelance like Ibushi and work all over the place together. It would seem to be a natural progression for their careers. (Though if I were Page, I'd re-sign with ROH and take advantage of the vacuum at the top of the card. They're bound to put the belt on him sooner or later.) 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, RIPPA said:

Time for the Winter of Cody

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see more videos like that from ROH. I wish they would use their video library much more than they do. A bigger partnership between ROH and Corgan's NWA wouldn't be a bad thing. I was kind of iffy about ordering Final Battle, but I'm sold on it after that video. That has the potential to be a great card, plus the tag title match being SCU vs. Young Bucks vs. Briscoes. 

Enjoyed it even if I don't care that much about RoH. And it did feel a bit like NWA's videos so I wasn't shocked to see Corgan/Lagana listed as producers.

Also, it is probably nothing, but The Elite barely got any screen time? Tag team tiles match wasn't even listed at the end of the episode. As I said, probably nothing, but I guess if you want to you could read it as RoH preparing for post-Elite world.

Okay I thought all of this talk was just some dumb twitter joke but nope 

What if 2018 Ring of Honor told 2013 Ring of Honor that in a year they brought Tugboat, Sandman, Bully Ray, and other similar  guys to their shows   ?

And apparently they have signed PCO to an exclusive contract.  As much as I like the crazy guy, he is not the kind of guy you use multiple times like a regular.  He is the guy you bring in to fill out the card with an oh shit match.  Like PCO vs Tugboat  

With the looks of Cody and the Bucks gone from ROH in the next year, we will really see how awful Delirious is in 2019

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Okay I thought all of this talk was just some dumb twitter joke but nope 

What if 2018 Ring of Honor told 2013 Ring of Honor that in a year they brought Tugboat, Sandman, Bully Ray, and other similar  guys to their shows   ?

Forget 2013 ROH, but imagine 2018 ROH telling 2005-2006 ROH they brought in Tugboat, Sandman, and Bully Ray. 

and I wouldn't bet against PCO winning the TV or world title in 2019

Beats Lethal, main events MSG show.

On a more serious note this is so weird that I don't know what to think. Since he is exclusive (and due to nature of his work) it probably would make sense to use him sparingly? Like pops up every few months to do crazy shit and sell some tickets? As I said, I don't know, this is so weird that it can either be great or be complete disaster.

• Like 1