DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Never mind that shit! Here comes Cobb! Cobb vs. Punishment makes me so, so happy.

But yeah, ROH... so frustrating. They probably drew close to 2.5k/3k, which is huge for them, but the majority of the focus will be on the ludicrous number of empty seats.

That crowd for the TV taping is going to fucking ridiculous. Like 500-1000 in a 9500 seat building.

I attended the event live on a whim. The show was good, I liked every match. The Tag Championship, 10 Man and Main Event were my fav's. Crowd was hot but we were too spread out.

ROH's biggest problem other than stagnant booking is their lack of advertisement or lack of willingness to advertise. I don't think they would have sold out 9,000 but they got 3,000 (which maybe idk there was alot of empty seats in the stands) with just advertising to wrestling fans on wrestling outlets. I wonder what they could have drawn if they ran ads for the show on the local affiliates Sinclair owns in the Las vegas arena (two channels in Vegas Sinclair owns). They could have been running ads on local tv showing highlights of ospreay for the past two or so months. They own the stations and the promotion how much would it really of cost to run ads at the top of the hour for the past two months.

The TV show should have been hyping the main since Lethal won it on the July 23rd episode. The way they present their television is outdated to me. Nothing happens its really boring.

By the way they promoted this I get the feeling ROH was trying to target a fly in crowd when they should or I think it would have been beneficial to go for the local crowd in Vegas, by running ads on their stations maybe just maybe spend a little money (I know I know it goes against Sinclairs business model) and ran local ads during Raw and Smackdown promoting the show all summer focusing on Ospreay's return and the chance to see Okada live. They have the New Japan relationship take advantage of it and use some of their footage for clips.

Also it's the southwest, and they have the CMLL relationship. Why was there not a CMLL Showcase Trios? Advertise on local spanish television. 

What's frustrating to me is that the tweet posted on the last page is so bratty. There is a interest in DIY niche wrestling they biggest issue is ROH's lack of local advertisement. The diehard wrestling fans are gonna go but the casual fan who watches raw in the background who may have heard of the ALL IN success isn't going to know about your show unless you bring it to there attention. Ad's during Raw and SmackDown focusing on Cody and the Young Bucks would bring more casual fans in I think. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Well now we know why Jeff Cobb beat Punishment Martinez at the TV tapings out of random.  Not that Jeff Cobb doesn't deserve to be in ROH but it was pretty damn quick.   I really don't see Punishment working on NXT or the WWE but he definitely fits the big man criteria 

Oh this happened tonight.  Better spoiler it then 

• Like 1

Tenille Dashwood announced at the tapings that she needs shoulder surgery (and has needed it for like the last 6 months)

It's a little unclear if it was just for the crowd or if they will air it

PWI did confirm that the injury is legit

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

https://streamable.com/6u2bd

Wow, Cody threw a shot at the ROH DBD attendance.

Is this how ROH is going to try to get more support for Jay Lethal by having all of his potential opponents knock the company, only for Lethal to be the savior of ROH? 

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is this how ROH is going to try to get more support for Jay Lethal by having all of his potential opponents knock the company, only for Lethal to be the savior of ROH? 

That does seem to be in line with the amount of effort that Delirious is putting into his booking.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cody get the ROH world title again if enough people can get into Delirious's ear and tell him that Lethal is the reason for the down attendance.

Which we know is bullshit.  If they wanted to figure out why attendance was messed up look in the mirror.  Talking about both Delirious and the Bullet Club

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cody get the ROH world title again if enough people can get into Delirious's ear and tell him that Lethal is the reason for the down attendance.

Which we know is bullshit.  If they wanted to figure out why attendance was messed up look in the mirror.  Talking about both Delirious and the Bullet Club

Uh whut? I get that part of your gimmick is to rip on Bullet Club/New Japan, but the exact reason for ROH experiencing their most profitable years and rising attendance is the Bullet Club. Meltzer even claimed part of the reason the audience was so quiet at DBD was fans were primarily there for BC. It's on Delirious to get other wrestlers over. Like the Briscoes, as awesome as they are, are not over right now. Maybe they should go on a hiatus and work other independents or something... but the BC is at the bottom of the list of reasons as to why ROH can't be doing better. I don't think they're this mid '90s clique politicking and sabotaging careers, even though from the outside it seems like Delirious is too lenient with them.

• Like 2

Agree I don't think it is a Bullet Club themselves issue and completely a Delirious being a New Japan/Bullet Club mark issue.   He is perfectly fine to have Ring of Honor be a developmental of New Japan with a huge financial backer to protect him from running half full buildings that are too big for them.   Even if they try to freshen up the roster (and there are tons of available talent) they will always play second fiddle.    

• Like 1

I rarely watch RoH so maybe I'm going to talk nonsense, but to me it looks like main problem is that all cool guys are part of The Elite/Bullet Club so they can't be booked against each other and I haven't heard about them actually having feuds with other RoH wrestlers while they have long term programs going in NJPW and NWA in case of Cody. 

Outside of the SCU/Elite six man title bout, the lineup for next week's UMBC show is brutal.  Particularly with no Jeff Cobb (at least currently announced) on the card, it really shows a product hard up for new and exciting talent and development beyond running through retreads and relying on the novelty of foreign talent (when available).

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, the actual booking of Bullet Club is shit. They're just "there" now. They're mot involved in any kind of storylines of note. When you can't find anything for your most over act to do, you're a shitty booker.

Well there was no storylines because being "All In" was the only storyline that mattered in ROH for that period.  Although they gave Adam Page and Marty Scurill something to work with although in Marty's case it was Hurricane Helms.   

Imagine the booking of the Bullet club if the real workhorse of the group Adam Page decided to take that WWE deal.  

Delirious is the issue with RoH, full stop.  You can give Gabe all the shit you want, but during it's initial rise, RoH relied heavily on any imports they could get, book an "indy dream match", and those were just to get people in the door.  It was on the undercard to bring people back, and they delivered.  And that allowed them to start booking bigger names consistantly and get a conhesive product that you could fill a 1200 building on the back of the roster alone and not import guys.  Current RoH trend is use NJPW and BC guys to sell the building, but do jack shit with them or anyone else they got, just retreads and nothing getting people to come back.  If the NJPW deal ever dies,  RoH is fucked.  If the doomsaying everyone brings  up every year of the core BC guys taking Titan Money ever comes to pass, RoH is fucked.  It's not like 10 years ago when the TNA talent got pulled or they couldn't consistantly book international guys that the promotion was strong enough to weather that storm, they're proper fucked right now.

And that's on the Booker, and the owners for not cutting bait on him and moving on.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well there was no storylines because being "All In" was the only storyline that mattered in ROH for that period.  Although they gave Adam Page and Marty Scurill something to work with although in Marty's case it was Hurricane Helms.    

Marty's lucky he has Hurricane to carry him.

So Tracy Hot Sauce Williams who recently left EVOLVE is in the Survival of the Fittest tournament.   I have a bad feeling he will be nothing more "just there" mid carder since he has no New Japan (or any Japan I think) link but he is definitely a great  talent for the company