DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

Sabin with a tribute to Mike Milbury on this week's show. The idea that a guy who went into the stands at MSG and beat the shit out of a rags fan with the guy's own shoe managed to end up one of the most hated figures in Isles history is mindblowing.

• Haha 1

https://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/codys-first-nwa-title-defense-set-roh-tv-tapings-265996

codywilliemack.jpg

Cody Rhodes' first NWA title defense will be taking place in Ring of Honor.

While appearing for Championship Wrestling from Hollywood yesterday, Cody announced that he'll be defending the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship against Willie Mack at ROH's television tapings in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 29.

The Orleans Arena in Las Vegas will host ROH's Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view on September 28 and the next day's post-PPV tapings.

Cody won the NWA title from Nick Aldis at All In earlier this month, and Aldis will be getting his rematch in the main event of the NWA's 70th Anniversary Show in Nashville, Tennessee on October 21. Aldis defeated Doug Williams at Wrestling MediaCon in Manchester, England on September 9 to be confirmed as Cody's challenger for the Anniversary event.

The NWA title was last defended in ROH during the build to All In, with Aldis retaining against Flip Gordon in July.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind that shit! Here comes Cobb! Cobb vs. Punishment makes me so, so happy.

But yeah, ROH... so frustrating. They probably drew close to 2.5k/3k, which is huge for them, but the majority of the focus will be on the ludicrous number of empty seats.

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Never mind that shit! Here comes Cobb! Cobb vs. Punishment makes me so, so happy.

But yeah, ROH... so frustrating. They probably drew close to 2.5k/3k, which is huge for them, but the majority of the focus will be on the ludicrous number of empty seats.

I don’t understand what they were thinking booking a 9500 seat arena for this show. I legitimately didn’t know it was happening today until I saw the live Wreddit discussion thread about it.

30 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'm keeping up with the results, and so far it's nothing that makes me want to order the replay. The reports from Wrestling Observer say that the crowd was quiet for Liger/Kenny King and Briscoes/SCU. Unless Bullet Club/Chaos and Lethal/Ospreay are blow away matches, I won't order the replay. It's beating a dead horse, but Delirious needs to be given the boot. Something needs to be done to shake up ROH.

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The crowd has been fine, they're too sparse for great heat and roh can't mic a crowd for the life of them. They are hot for the BC vs. Chaos tag. Ishii did a rolling senton from the top to the outside. 

Would you say it's worth ordering the replay once it goes up on Fite?

Nope. It's been fine but even the ten man tag was just "good" with some clunkiness. Cobb setting up a match with Martinez and a Bully Ray cellphone promo were the best things so far. Bully heeling it up was pretty damn good though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Nope. It's been fine but even the ten man tag was just "good" with some clunkiness. Cobb setting up a match with Martinez and a Bully Ray cellphone promo were the best things so far. Bully heeling it up was pretty damn good though. 

Thanks. Sounds like I'll be saving my money for Bound for Glory.

Okay, the main event was great and may have been Ospreay's best performance I've seen. He had some real depth to his personality and he told a fascinating story as the njpw guy looking down at the roh champ. I love this bigger, smarter version of Ospreay. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Okay, the main event was great and may have been Ospreay's best performance I've seen. He had some real depth to his personality and he told a fascinating story as the njpw guy looking down at the roh champ. I love this bigger, smarter version of Ospreay. 

Wait, the best Ospreay performance ever? That’s some damn high praise. Is it a MOTY contender? Best ROH match this year? 5* match?

I'd put it around 4.25 stars. The crowd was more or less done and I'm sure others will prefer his Ricochet matches, but they were more style over substance than I like. This had both style and substance and you can see Ospreay really putting things together. It's exciting. 

Like, when Lethal gets in his face early and shouts 'this is my house, ' Ospreay looks to the empty bleachers. Sure, it's not something traditionally you'd do and he's half of the main event but it was some nice bit of improvisation and set the stage for his condescending behaviour. 

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'd put it around 4.25 stars. The crowd was more or less done and I'm sure others will prefer his Ricochet matches, but they were more style over substance than I like. This had both style and substance and you can see Ospreay really putting things together. It's exciting. 

Like, when Lethal gets in his face early and shouts 'this is my house, ' Ospreay looks to the empty bleachers. Sure, it's not something traditionally you'd do and he's half of the main event but it was some nice bit of improvisation and set the stage for his condescending behaviour. 

I’m sure ROH wouldn’t be happy about Ospreay burying the company by pointing out the empty seats.

I mean, I get it but Lethal won in the end and Ospreay was tempted to cheat by using the belt as a weapon out of both convenience and because Lethal was right there with him. I don't know if it was necessarily NJPW looking down at ROH at the surface level. That probably was more of a background aspect. I think the more immediate idea they were playing with was that Ospreay's bulked up and is a bit of a cocky prick now, relying less on 100 crazy aerial moves and more on toughness and a more focused attack. And yeah, he's in New Japan and Lethal is not. 

I think that element would've worked better had Lethal been a champion that the ROH fans actually love. But he's not. He's a guy they begrudgingly admire, I guess, because he's been around so long and is good (but not as good as the fancy outsiders from NJPW). I don't think I misheard noticeable booing after Lethal kicked out of the Os Cutter and wormed his way out of the Storm Breaker.