DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Ring of Honor is number 2, a distant number 2 but number 2 nonetheless.

This might be peak ROH and it is as long as They keep their current booking style and not add more depth to the roster.

Let’s hope they get on a basic cable network and grow their audience. Maybe WGN works something out with them.

I’m hesitant to think they are going to start expanding to larger arenas regularly but I think that’s cuz I was at this years Supercard and saw First hand that they have a long ways to go before they compete with Vince.

Yeah, they ought not book larger venues on the reg because they're already booking way too big of places as is. So many episodes of their TV feature half empty arenas as is. This is going to be a long, long build especially with how shitty ROH manages talent and books their shows. 

I did find the quote that Dave and Garrett Gonzalez dissected on Friday's episode of WOR very interesting:

Is there any concern that your top guys, Cody Rhodes, the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, won’t be available for that show, given the fact that their deals reportedly expire at the end of the year or shortly thereafter?

They’re our top guys, right? Of course, we’re going to do everything that we can to keep them. And we have fair offers and fair plans to retain them. With that said, I don’t think we ever operate in fear. We always operate with solid backup plans. And we have to always think about what if this, and what if that. If they go to the WWE, and they very much deserve that opportunity, we’ll continue to offer the best wrestling that we can. There’s other talent out there. And we will continue as our brand has for the past however many years. We’ve lost top guys before.

Think about Kevin Owens and even going back to Bryan Danielson and CM Punk and all of them. They all went to the WWE, and the brand has continued to grow and prosper.

Everything we do is geared toward the fans and toward, even these arena decisions, that experience. We pride ourselves on the ROH experience, and it goes back to the question of losing a top guys. Do I wanna lose the Young Bucks, and Cody? No. Of course not. Why would I wanna lose them?

Am I gonna make an aggressive attempt to retain them and sign longer-term agreements? Of course we are. But, at the end of the day, the ROH brand is about the ROH experience, and that’s how we continue to grow.

I know it's mostly posturing but I wouldn't expect ROH to start breaking the bank and getting some of that Sinclair dirty fuck money a la Bischoff in '94 with Turner's cash.

Well they aren't going to be able to compete with WWE regardless when it comes to money. Like sure, Sinclair could give big money, but RoH does not have good enough structure and presence to justify it. WCW tried that, TNA tried that as well to some extent. At some point bottom just falls out.

I think that talking about RoH experience is good thing, thats what they should strive for. Problem is, that I'm not sure what exactly is that RoH experience, but I hope that they figure it out and deliver at G1 Supercard.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Tenille Dashwood just tweeted that she has to pull out of the UK shows

She said she will be able to explain shortly but that she is not injured

ROH is calling it an “unfortunate, non-serious medical condition”

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reminds me of NHL player Marian Hossa who had to retire last year because he is technically allergic to his equipment.   He was able to play for years with medication but he recently had to switch medication and was advised by doctors not to play anymore while taking the medication. 

• Sad 1

On 7/23/2018 at 2:34 AM, Ace said:

Alex Shelley apparently announced his retirement tonight. 

I'm watching the episode now that had Chris Sabin vs. Scorpio Sky with Shelley's announcement after the match. Shelley has been one of my favorite wrestlers for the past 15 years, so watching him break down and cry in the ring was hard to watch. Yeah, I did get teary-eyed. Like Shelley said, hopefully it's not goodbye, but just see you later.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

What's the state of HonorClub these days, in terms of streaming quality and VOD?  Anyone know if they're still doing an open beta for Roku?

I think the Roku app is official now. The VOD is still thin, but they are slowly adding the first year shows.

Streaming quality is usually fine, but they haven't had the kind of server load they are going to experience this weekend in quite awhile

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The only comparable time would've been the Mania weekend supercard of honor show and some people had issues while I was lucky enough to only have to refresh twice. 

I literally couldn't get it to stream for like two days, so clearly you got the better deal there.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the Lethal/Gresham match. I'd be up for an hour iron man match between them. I feel like there's a Gresham heel turn coming. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it, but I definitely recommend watching it. Gresham is kind of giving off a Bryan Danielson vibe with the various submission moves he was using.

Gresham as a heel with a heel manager (Truth Martini?), his wife Jordynne Grace as his muscle and gibe himself the Pure Championship and call himself "The Best Pure Wrestler in the World" would be tight. Follow the pure rules and wrestle "scrubs" or jobbers. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Gresham as a heel with a heel manager (Truth Martini?), his wife Jordynne Grace as his muscle and gibe himself the Pure Championship and call himself "The Best Pure Wrestler in the World" would be tight. Follow the pure rules and wrestle "scrubs" or jobbers. 

I've never seen Gresham as a heel but that's a tremendous idea.