DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

6 hours ago, matt925 said:

Of course I hope no one goes to wwe and Roh and njpw start actively signing people from wwe, but we’ll see how this all plays out. Interesting times for sure. 

I have no idea why anyone would even want Omega or Okada in the WWE considering how borderline unwatchable the main roster is most times. Guys leaving WWE for New Japan or ROH is a far more interesting topic. Cesaro in the G1? Or Rusev? Yes, please.

• Like 2

Yup, 60% and he says that indicates definite sellout. This is huge and such a fascinating time for pro wrestling. I hope guys stick around and build up actual alternatives to make a good living wrestling outside of wwe. If WWE wrestlers had viable options, maybe the booking wouldn't be such dog shit and maybe fewer guys in WWE would be taken for granted. Big maybes, sure, but we've desperately needed something like this since WCW died. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Meltz is reporting 9,000 tickets sold yesterday for MSG.

And we got 7!   Woop woop.

And addressing the earlier, Omega is a very smart man.  I think he's very well aware of the life he leads and the possibility of a freak injury ending his gravy train at any time.  So why not keep all his options open?   Of course he's considered going to WWE, but of course, he's currently the hottest act in Japan - if not the world (as the MSG ticket sales indicate).  He's got a very good thing going which would be risky, to say the least, to leave.   

I think he's very much on the AJ Styles career path. He'll be in the WWE in the '20s and be a fantastic main event level talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And addressing the earlier, Omega is a very smart man.  I think he's very well aware of the life he leads and the possibility of a freak injury ending his gravy train at any time.  So why not keep all his options open?   Of course he's considered going to WWE, but of course, he's currently the hottest act in Japan - if not the world (as the MSG ticket sales indicate).  He's got a very good thing going which would be risky, to say the least, to leave.  

MSG tickets don't really indicate anything since Omega isn't even announced for that show.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Meltz is reporting 9,000 tickets sold yesterday for MSG.

giphy.gif

Good news, indy workers!  If you have even the slightest name value, you might want to keep your phone lines open for a little while.  Uncle Paul's going shopping.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And addressing the earlier, Omega is a very smart man.  I think he's very well aware of the life he leads and the possibility of a freak injury ending his gravy train at any time.  So why not keep all his options open?   

Maybe, but he sure doesn't wrestle like a man who's worried about freak injuries.

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

MSG tickets don't really indicate anything since Omega isn't even announced for that show.

True. I believe Okada, Tanahashi and Naito are the only ones they announced. But I doubt either group would've tried something like this if it wasn't for All In.

Cody, Kenny and The Bucks all be being legitimate draws outside the WWE truly is great. 

Theres an alternative out there with a big enough fan base to be considered true competition.

Four men and four men alone can’t draw forever. I think if Ring of Honor ever wants to be a viable number 2 they need to add some more depth to there roster. It’s pretty sparse there’s talent out there they should have picked up long ago.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Cody, Kenny and The Bucks all be being legitimate draws outside the WWE truly is great. 

Theres an alternative out there with a big enough fan base to be considered true competition.

Four men and four men alone can’t draw forever. I think if Ring of Honor ever wants to be a viable number 2 they need to add some more depth to there roster. It’s pretty sparse there’s talent out there they should have picked up long ago.

ROH really needs to seek out the indy talent rather than wait for it to come to them via their training seminars. Delirious needs to get the fucking boot because his booking is shit. Look at the some of the guys that were utilized like crap in ROH or never even brought in that are now working elsewhere:

Tommaso Ciampa, Lio Rush, ACH, Donovan Dijak, Jason Kincaid, Keith Lee, Ricochet, Matt Riddle, Cedric Alexander, Moose, Ethan Page, Shane Strickland, AR Fox, etc.

• Thanks 1

Delirious has let so much great talent slip through his finger tips. 

What about a booking committee? There’s enough creative minds not signed to the WWE. Lagana, Jacobs etc.

Theres a lot of talent out there that Gabe and Court have signed that ROH should have already signed. 

MJF for example is a guy blowing up right now that ROH should be looking into. David Starr was another guy they should have signed.

They fucking had Keith Lee and let him go to Gabe. Like wtf.

If they are looking for under the radar indie talent, the offices are based in Baltimore why not work an agreement out to use Maryland Championship Wrestling as a developmental territory of sorts.

If I was Sinclair (I know it’s a company not the cowboy hat wearing promoter from Ready to Rumble) I’d send Joe Koff to All In with a briefcase full of contracts and sign people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Delirious has let so much great talent slip through his finger tips. 

What about a booking committee? There’s enough creative minds not signed to the WWE. Lagana, Jacobs etc.

Theres a lot of talent out there that Gabe and Court have signed that ROH should have already signed. 

MJF for example is a guy blowing up right now that ROH should be looking into. David Starr was another guy they should have signed.

They fucking had Keith Lee and let him go to Gabe. Like wtf.

If they are looking for under the radar indie talent, the offices are based in Baltimore why not work an agreement out to use Maryland Championship Wrestling as a developmental territory of sorts.

If I was Sinclair (I know it’s a company not the cowboy hat wearing promoter from Ready to Rumble) I’d send Joe Koff to All In with a briefcase full of contracts and sign people. 

I think a lot of the guys in recent years that have either left or stayed away from ROH is because they saw an easier route to WWE, especially with Evolve/Gabe having a connection. So instead of signing a contract with ROH, work all over and get hot and get signed by NXT. Sinclair and ROH have been on the slow build trend and it’s working for them. Attendance is up, I’m pretty sure profits are up and as long as they don’t get too big headed (ECW, TNA 2011), they should keep doing what their doing. If they get a national television deal, then I can see them going out and trying to sign other top indie talent.

I bet they would have had two hours on WGN if only the FFC had approved the Tribune merger. Sinclair would have owned the local news media nation wide so we dodged a bullet there.

They don’t have a bad roster I feel as if it’s a skeleton roster. They could use a few more tag teams, some more women, and a couple single wrestlers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

They don’t have a bad roster I feel as if it’s a skeleton roster. They could use a few more tag teams, some more women, and a couple single wrestlers. 

You realize how thin their roster is when there's no New Japan presence on the card.

ROH doesn’t really have to add much to their roster because their making money regardless. So there’s no point in spending money if money is already trickling in. They have been the most consistent North American wrestling promotion other than WWE this century. But if NJPW decides to end their partnership and/or the booking becomes too stale, it’ll be harder for them to get new talent with all of the competition. I think ROH is playing it safe right now and we don’t have to look far at when wrestling promotions try to overspend and ultimately end up out of business. As much as I’d like to see them go out and grab all the top indie talent; slow and steady wins the race.

They don't need to get the top indy talent. There are plenty of good wrestlers out there with little name recognition they can sign and build up for less than what it would take to get bigger stars. Hell, Keith Lee was just a dude they picked up out of the Texas indies because he happened to be partners with Ray Rowe's buddy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Archibald said:

Sure, but it's a NJPW/ROH joint show, so I figure the current I GO champion probably factors in somewhat at least, even if he's not announced for it and the possibility that he'll be working elsewhere by the time the show rolls around looms.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Sure, but it's a NJPW/ROH joint show, so I figure the current I GO champion probably factors in somewhat at least, even if he's not announced for it and the possibility that he'll be working elsewhere by the time the show rolls around looms.

I imagine that people who bought tickets for SSE:UK shows also figured that champion will be there.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Looks like if you didn't have Honor Club, you're fucked on tickets, as the resellers gobbled everythign else up.

I just got a ticket on StubHub. Section 213. $90, $114.10 after the service fees.