DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well it has moved out of the "just talk" category - Sinclair CEO Chris Ripley announced that ROH will run a show at MSG in  2019

Aww- @RIPPA hates my posts.

It's tempting to call this folly, but Sinclair's financial clout plus WWE being on the outs with MSG makes me think this has a serious chance of happening, especially around Mania weekend.

I think we must have hit submit at the same exact time since your post wasn't there when I submitted

Also note - AAA is planning on running MSG in Sept

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

I wonder if The Dolan's would spite McMahon enough to let AAA and ROH run the Garden on a discount.

Well PWI is claiming that MSG is reaching out to all these other promotions because they are bitter the WWE isn't running the building during Mania week.

And apparently that is why Taker got added to the July house show as an attempt to appease them

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Isn't that kind of one them for how much they charge WWE in the first place?

You are asking petty rich people to use logic

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

By Mike Johnson on 2018-06-19 11:39:00
Ring of Honor has lost its debut event at New York City’s Madison Square Garden.

During an interview with ROH Chief Operating Officer Joe Koff this morning to promote the 6/29 Best in the World PPV, I asked Koff about the pending debut for ROH in MSG.  Koff responded:

"You know, I’m going to tell you Mike because you are asking.  I’m not going to discuss beyond this statement because I am not going to litigate this in the press.  We had a deal with [Madison Square] Garden and they then told us they were backing out after communications from the WWE.  We are not able to get any other dates in any kind of discussion.  I’m expecting that our lawyers will be contacting all the parties involved and the best we can hope is that we can find a resolution, so we can bring the kind of energy and excitement that ROH and our partner New Japan to a bigger audience and to bigger arenas and to the fans of New York City."

Sinclair Broadcast Group CEO Chris Ripley revealed in an interview with The Baltimore Business Journal on 6/12 that ROH had secured a date with Madison Square Garden and will debut in the legendary arena in 2019.    Ripley did not reveal the exact date and referred to the move as part of a strategy to move ROH, which Sinclair has owned since May 2011, to bigger venues.  The belief among many is that the date would have fallen on Wrestlemania 35 week in April 2019, something ROH never confirmed officially.

Today, when asked if there was even a possibility of a date still on the books with MSG, Koff responded, “There is no date and the discussion is going to end here on that.”

As previously noted on PWInsider.com, the Garden has been reaching out to other wrestling companies as WWE has not been running at the venue consistently, choosing instead to run the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.  WWE is running all of their Wrestlemania 35 week events at Barclays, which has been in a promotional war with MSG over touring acts since the Brooklyn venue opened in 2012.

Lucha libre promotion AAA out of Mexico had also secured several dates for The Garden for the fall of 2018.   There is no word yet whether AAA's potential dates have been canceled by the Garden as well.

If any promotion does end up running Madison Square Garden, they will become the first pro wrestling company to run the legendary "Mecca of sports-entertainment" outside of the McMahon Family dating back to 1925, when Vince McMahon’s grandfather Roderick “Jess” McMahon became the matchmaker for both professional wrestling and boxing in the venue. 

While WCW, AAA and even the original Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling ran the adjacent Theater in the MSG complex, no promotion outside of WWE has been able to book a date in the 20,789-seat Garden.

WWE returns to Madison Square Garden, which used to be their home base arena, on 7/7 featuring first appearance of The Undertaker in MSG since September 2010 and the WWE MSG debut of former UFC Bantamweight Champ Ronda Rousey.

PWInsider.com has reached out to WWE for comment.

I'm hoping this lights a fire under Sinclair's ass. They have the resources to make a go at being a viable number 2 wrestling promotion in the United States. I would really like if this whole MSG thing motivates them to put more money into ROH run more dates, sign up more talent and make a go at it to play with the big dogs.

WCW did alot of dumb things but one of the smarter things I thought Bischoff did was run the smaller markets that WWE does not. Grow the wrestling audience in a market starving for wrestling with your product. I think it's something Sinclair and ROH should consider. And also getting rid of Delirious and getting a new booker.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I'm hoping this lights a fire under Sinclair's ass. They have the resources to make a go at being a viable number 2 wrestling promotion in the United States. I would really like if this whole MSG thing motivates them to put more money into ROH run more dates, sign up more talent and make a go at it to play with the big dogs.

Everyone expected that this whole story was basically about MSG trying to get more WWE dates, but probably nobody expected RoH to get dumped so fast and hard.

On one hand everyone understands that WWE is way bigger than RoH will ever be, but on the other hand rich people usually don't like when they are made to look like a joke. Like how Obama probably shouldn't have made a joke about how Trump will never be the president of USA.

I don't expect anything major to happen, but I really wouldn't be surprised if long term Sinclair starts paying more and more attention to wresslin business.

On 6/11/2018 at 12:47 AM, Tim Evans said:

The briscoes are headed to wwc in Puerto Rico for the big anniversario shows next month. I find this interesting because I thought roh talent couldn't work shows in the United States that had tv? I know guys work pwg.

Sinclair are clearly supporting Trump in his "Puerto Ricans aren't REAL Americans, so nobody cares if we let them starve without any help" strategy.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

I don't expect anything major to happen, but I really wouldn't be surprised if long term Sinclair starts paying more and more attention to wresslin business.

The problem is that making a major commitment to ROH would require Sinclair to spend big money, and they are notoriously cheap.

The Meltzer quote comes off like a stuck in the bubble wrestling guy wildly speculating as opposed to the Tweeter's translation of said quote coming off like Sinclair is definitely considering going to war with WWE.  There's no way anyone that matters at Sinclair gives a shit about ROH in general much less MSG.

• Like 1

That sounds like random speculation and sure, it is possible that someone in Sinclair office had this idea for 2 minutes, but it is so out there that it probably has 0% chance of actually happening. But you never know, maybe people that matter at Sinclair are even more petty than Vince.