DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

On 4/21/2018 at 1:54 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Someone's gonna have to explain the mindset there to me. I mean, I know wrestling locker rooms tend to be really strangely territorial, but if you happened to accidentally sit in the wrong place, why the fuck would you do anything other than politely apologize and move?

Non-wrestling people in wrestling locker-rooms never ends well. I've dealt with everything from sponsors, to wrestler's GFs, to Godfather Hoes to local UFC curtain-jerkers, and they almost always do nothing but act like fucking assholes.

Man that WOH final was, as a JR would say, "bowling shoe ugly".  The Iwatani-Klein and Dashwood-Sakai matches were fine, booking disagreements aside.  But that final where Sakai misses a moonsault, tries to pin her anyway than hits a random really dangerous-looking DDT was real bad.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Non-wrestling people in wrestling locker-rooms never ends well. I've dealt with everything from sponsors, to wrestler's GFs, to Godfather Hoes to local UFC curtain-jerkers, and they almost always do nothing but act like fucking assholes.

That is why the local indy has a rule. Unless you are working the show you do not go into the locker room. All the wives,girlfriends and kids stay out in the area the ring is in. Hell most shows the only time I enter the locker room is to find the promoter and get the booking sheet  for the show. Then I go back out to where ever we got out video equipment set up.

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

ROH responded to someone on the rohworld forum stating that they have no plans to add pre Sinclair Era shows to the Honor Club device.  Looks like they are going to rely on NJPW talent and their live schedule.

That's ridiculous. ROH has had the best talent roster in the world come through during their existence and they don't want to utilize their entire library? Everyone knows Gabe-era ROH is superior to Sinclair-era...but guess what Sinclair? You own the whole thing!!! ROH is run so ass backwards.

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

If they aren’t putting any Gabe or Pierce booked ROH up then I doubt I’ll ever be buying Honor Club

Pearce era was mostly disappointing to me. Not putting up Gabe era just saves me money. Thanks Sinclair.

• Like 2

There's so much stuff from 02-06 that needs to be out there. The 74 minute match between Danielson and Aries. The All Japan series from Final Battle 03. Joe vs Punk 2. The Summer of Punk. Joe vs Kenta. The CZW feud. Why would you refuse your companies history?

I thought Pierce was pretty solid if my memories serves me current. He was booking the ROH HDNet days wasnt he?

• Like 2

The only way this makes sense if they want to sell the footage to WWE for use on their premium version of the Network. At any rate, I would love to see the matches I announced for ROH see the light of day somewhere. They were pretty good, you know?

Fun show this week. 

Enjoyed the Silas-Flip match probably as much as any TV Flip match that I've seen.  I'd be down for a feud with these two with Flip gradually earning Youngs respect.  

I like Bully as a heel especially using his HOF ring to mock people.  

For the life of me, I cannot remember the first match but I think it was good, too. 

Grunt in the ROH offices "Hey we have a fuckton of footage of some of the biggest stars in the entire industry we can put on our streaming service that would cause lots of people to sign up for it."

Sinclair exec: "We can't do that, we could make too much money. That would make too much sense."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I downloaded the Android app and was about to ask you folks how HonorClub was running recently.  But if Sinclair has no plans of putting out the old stuff then I see no reason to keep the app on my phone.  What a waste of a service.

Sinclair already owns the footage, correct?  And it's presumably already digitized?  It doesn't seem like it would be that much work or expense to upload it for subscribers.  I mean, I can kinda buy WWE not throwing themselves into digitizing territory footage for the Network.  It' quite possible that not enough people would watch/subscribe/re-subscribe Mid-South footage to justify the effort (and expense).  I would be incredulous if someone argued that uploading the Gabe-era shows wouldn't be profitable for Sinclair.

The only reason I can think of not to add old footage to the Honor Club is if you want to pretend there wasn't a massive talent drain in the late 00's.

Honestly, we should maybe cut Sincliar some slack.  Their short-sighted decision-making is saving us from Stable Wars.  <Shudders>

2 hours ago, caley said:

Fun show this week. 

Enjoyed the Silas-Flip match probably as much as any TV Flip match that I've seen.  I'd be down for a feud with these two with Flip gradually earning Youngs respect.  

I like Bully as a heel especially using his HOF ring to mock people.  

For the life of me, I cannot remember the first match but I think it was good, too. 

Josh Woods and Chuckie T. Yep, was decent.

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Honestly, we should maybe cut Sincliar some slack.  Their short-sighted decision-making is saving us from Stable Wars.  <Shudders>

I'll take '07-'08 ROH over Delirious booking everyday of the week. If New Japan ever decides they don't need ROH, ROH is fucked.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Josh Woods and Chuckie T. Yep, was decent.

Thanks!

I'm baffled by ROH's insistence on keeping Woods a face.  It would have been nuclear heat if he'd clobbered Chuckie T after the handshake.  Push Woods as a no-nonsense MMA guy who is frustrated by his lack of success/the goofiness of a lot of ROH (Chuckie T, Young Bucks, Scurll's comedy aspects etc. etc.), put him with an old-timer wrestler talking about millenials/lack of respect and he'd probably be the biggest heel in the company.

I’m surprised we’ll jit surprised cuz it would mean spending money but there was an opportunity when the Young Bucks are twitter beefing with Cormier to have an MMA team of let’s say Dan Severn as the coach/manager and Tom Lawlor and Josh Woods as the team to take on the “disrespectful” Young Bucks. They could play off the silly indie wrestling vs serious sports competition. Hell The Bucks could have brought in Ken Shamrock as their muscle to annoy Severn and they could have a 6 man tag match Bucks and Shamrock vs Severn Lawlor and Woods.

16 hours ago, caley said:

I'm baffled by ROH's insistence on keeping Woods a face.  It would have been nuclear heat if he'd clobbered Chuckie T after the handshake.  Push Woods as a no-nonsense MMA guy who is frustrated by his lack of success/the goofiness of a lot of ROH (Chuckie T, Young Bucks, Scurll's comedy aspects etc. etc.), put him with an old-timer wrestler talking about millenials/lack of respect and he'd probably be the biggest heel in the company.

Considering Bully Ray is talking shit about guys like Flip on TV I could see Josh being the one that Bully sends out to do his bidding.  Get another MMA-type guy and you're all set.