DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

I still want the Briscoes to go to Chikara (I guess that's still a thing?) and do a mad scientist gimmick where it's revealed that Jay is actually a mad geneticist and Mark is actually his ex-lab assistant/now-unwilling test subject for Jay's de-evolution ray.

21 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I still want the Briscoes to go to Chikara (I guess that's still a thing?) and do a mad scientist gimmick where it's revealed that Jay is actually a mad geneticist and Mark is actually his ex-lab assistant/now-unwilling test subject for Jay's de-evolution ray.

Yes, Chikara is still alive. The Briscoes doing an Island of Dr. Moreau gimmick would be amazing. However, it has to be based on the Marlon Brando/Val Kilmer trainwreck version.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Planet of the Apes is way below Mark Briscoe's obvious acting ability and intellect. One day, we're going to find out he actually has an IQ of 160 and speaks seven languages fluently.

And plays the cello and is a vintner.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Planet of the Apes is way below Mark Briscoe's obvious acting ability and intellect. One day, we're going to find out he actually has an IQ of 160 and speaks seven languages fluently.

That could actually happen.  It's been told by many in ROH that Mark is the smartest guy on the roster.  They point out how they had everybody do an IQ-like test and he had a really high score.  So if they went that route it wouldn't totally surprise me.

But the idea that Mark didn't have personality before his heel run is ridiculous.  He's a legit wacky dude and was made for pro wrestling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, quackhell said:

It's a shame that all the heel stooging that Cody does so well just draws cheers from the Bullet Clu..er...Ring of Honor fans. It's kind of a wasted effort really. 

Know what it also draws: money. And if it does that who gives a shit if he gets cheered?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Know what it also draws: money. And if it does that who gives a shit if he gets cheered?

Oh I forgot money is the only factor I should consider when I evaluate what I like and don't like about the artform. Thanks for the reminder. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Oh I forgot money is the only factor I should consider when I evaluate what I like and don't like about the artform. Thanks for the reminder. 

You're welcome!

• Like 1

I don't think that's giving Cody enough credit. Omega had been getting a face reaction for months before his official turn, and in general, heels really only get booed during the moments they're outright cheating and/or disrespecting their opponents. Cody is pretty much alone with Taichi on the "getting massive heat for existing" tier.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Mostly because Japan fans still see the bullet Club as a heel group.  US fans really don't give a damn what they are in the wrestling sense as long as they are trendy

Cody on Jerichos pod flat out said that BC are clearly faces in ROH.

Looks like a ton of things happened with Omega showing up as the bear,  Austin Aries looking for a title shot, and SoCal Uncensored winning the 6 man titles.   Although it also sounds like there was a ton of PPV connection issues as well which in 2018 is just ridiculous.   I wonder if the HonorClub VIP had the same headaches as some of the PPV buyers did.

On 09/03/2018 at 4:31 AM, quackhell said:

Cody knows the fans will cheer him in ROH, but he also knows he’s the heel in the Omega thing. So for consistency he’s being a heel at all times regardless of fan reaction.

Which is pretty awesome to be honest. Dude is committed to the work, not the fans.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeathyBoy said:

Cody knows the fans will cheer him in ROH, but he also knows he’s the heel in the Omega thing. So for consistency he’s being a heel at all times regardless of fan reaction.

Which is pretty awesome to be honest. Dude is committed to the work, not the fans.  

Heel or face, you need to be true to your gimmick. Hulk Hogan was a babyface but still did backrakes. Mad Dog Vachon became a babyface and still brawled and bit people. To simply become a high-fiving goofball because fans cheer you is a poor babyface turn.

• Like 1

I respect Cody for staying true to his gimmick, it's just from a personal enjoyment level I would get into his matches more if he got a heel reaction. So yeah I am smarky fan salty at other smarky fans for not doing what I would do and want to see. Kinda silly I will admit.

• Like 1

Was at the anniversary show as well, sitting in the second row.  Caught one of the poker chips they were tossing out before the show (pictured).  Also, when Scurll gave Punishment Martinez the umbrella shot to start their match, the plastic tip of the umbrella broke off, flew into the crowd, and hit the guy sitting immediately to my left on the forehead, right above his eye.  He's ok, but was selling it pretty good for a while there.

I understand the "woop woop" stuff a lot better now.  It's fun to say!

DX6mq_MUQAAjbDn.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I understand the "woop woop" stuff a lot better now.  It's fun to say!

Well on your way to becoming a Juggalo now!

On another note, I'm catching up on ROH and watched Manhatten Mayhem tonight. That was not a good show. The main event and the tag before it were both lots of fun but I'm glad that a friend let me watch it with him because paying for that would have upset me. The best match of the night was the retro match during the intermission. 

• Haha 1