DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

Really is a huge fucking coup for ROH and I'm sure NJPW will get a decent payoff for it. I almost never do this, but I'll be ordering the ROH PPV without a second thought now. Other than the first Golden Lovers tag (which shouldn't be rushed), this is my most anticipated match of 2018. Cody, so hot right now. Cody. 

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I know he's not the Yugi Nagata of 2002 but I would love for them to bring Nagata in to wrestle Silas Young at Supercard of Honor.

He is still fucking awesome, best worker at that age ever?

6 hours ago, nate said:

If Sasha Banks had said that shit, we'd have 4 pages of pro wrestling philosophy hot takes.

While I think you have a valid point I think the difference is that everyone knows Cody is working a gimmick so most don't take it that serious (but then again Nova did the same thing in ECW and people here still won't shut up about it).

• Haha 1

The ROH streaming device is going to be pretty bad ass. Showing all their live events live and VOD  as well as the option to pay for a VIP one year subscription that also gives access to the live ppv's, a special forum, and discounts at the roh pro shop.   $120  to see every live roh show, ppv, and event from the past.  I'm all in!!

The biggest problem running Omega vs Cody at NOLA is that it is going head to head against NXT Takeover.  Granted they aren't going to have a problem getting more than 3000 people because of WM weekend but a match like that should definitely be at a time the company gets it's full attention.  

I kinda see it the other way around.  I think ROH has thrown down the gauntlet here, and it's up to NXT to pick it up.  This is probably the biggest possible Indy match you can run in 2018, and I imagine there are a LOT more people who care about seeing that match than another Almas title defense.   They're going to have to come up with something really compelling on the undercard or ROH is going to swallow up most of the attention that weekend.

• Like 3

Agreed with Eva. Hasn't ROH booked an  8,000 seat arena? They're going all out to fill it up and this will be the biggest non-Mania match, with the exception of maybe Gargano and Ciampa if NXT runs that. In a lot of ways, Cody and Omega are bigger stars at this point than Gargano and Ciampa. *

This will also be a really good test for the All In Show. 

*there's probably an interesting discussion on star power among the four. Kenny's a big draw in Japan and definitely a ticket mover in NA. Cody is probably the biggest independent draw or at least a co-equal with the Bucks. Gargano and Ciampa are featured headliners on a WWE Network brand, presumably watched by hundreds of thousands or so and have headlined major arena shows. Of course, are they themselves draws or is it the brand?  

Probably so but I remember being so disappointed at the buildup of last years Takeover  that I sold my ticket as soon as heard it was Nakamura vs Roode 2.  Then I watched the show on the Network and damn that was a great show.   

But last year really didn't have anything as huge as Omega vs Cody against it.  Just a lot of shows that looked really good from top to bottom.  Again they won't have trouble filling up that place. 

I don't think there's any question that Omega and Cody are way bigger stars than Gargano and Ciampa.  I mean, Gargano is well loved by the NXT crowd, but he doesn't have the track record for moving tickets like Omega and Cody.

I think this is actually a really smart move by NJPW to throw ROH a bone here.  I think Omega/Cody is worth way more in America right now than it is in Japan, and while they could've saved it for Strong Style Evolved, they obviously didn't need it to sell out that show.  This way, they do their business partners a huge favor, meanwhile everybody is going to be talking about a NJPW angle on WM weekend.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 9:49 PM, Oyaji said:

I don't even know if he's the best guy today working in his late 40s. This is not meant to discredit Nagata, who had an amazing G1, but that's an audacious claim imo.

Jericho or Nagata?

I may be biased because a lot of my recent viewing of him was G1, but God is he frickin awesome. Danielson has said Nagata is the best he's ever seen and who am I to argue with hi... *Suzuki grabs me and pummels me like a Young Lion* 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1