DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

I think the one new year's resolution I will definitely hold onto this year is not recording this show anymore.

It is probably 1/2  Bullet Club shit and 1/2 the fact that my recording always starts at least 20 minutes late because the Castle rerun started late

Marty Scurll's shtick pretty much makes the Bullet Club unwatchable by himself.  

I still record ROH on the hope that a decent match gets on the show by accident, though.

• Like 1

This Week was cool it was like the a Best of 2017 and we got matches from the Global War UK shows. It’s was Kushida vs somebody who escapes me right now, Jay Lethal vs some British wrestler and the main event was a 10 man tag Bullet Club vs JIP. The main was really good. The Young Bucks Darrel with a Meltzer Driver.

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

This Week was cool it was like the a Best of 2017 and we got matches from the Global War UK shows. It’s was Kushida vs somebody who escapes me right now, Jay Lethal vs some British wrestler and the main event was a 10 man tag Bullet Club vs JIP. The main was really good. The Young Bucks Darrel with a Meltzer Driver.

Just seeing this stuff for the first time on TV this weekend. The Kushida vs. Titan was great, except the ending sequence seemed a tad long. Essentially just a spotfest, but a really good one at that. 

Those four/five-man tags with Bullet Club, I feel like they're all the same. There's always some decent spots, maybe three or four comedy spots, but they always sort of blend together. No one from either side is elevated or featured, and the NJPW talent in this one was totally overshadowed. They seem more of something you'd see in a non-televised house show main event. 

The people who cry and complain about the Bullet Club and the Bucks amuse me greatly. They are probably the biggest Indy draws of the modern era, are making stupid amounts of money and have brought the business numbers of ROH far far beyond anything the company has ever come close to doing. What they are doing is working whether you like it or not and they aren't going to change it so the company can go back to drawing 200 people a show.

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Marcel said:

Marty Scurll's shtick pretty much makes the Bullet Club unwatchable by himself.  

I still record ROH on the hope that a decent match gets on the show by accident, though.

I haven't watched ROH in 3-4 months. Still record it, but I get as far as what matched are going to be on and then it's over.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

The people who cry and complain about the Bullet Club and the Bucks amuse me greatly. They are probably the biggest Indy draws of the modern era, are making stupid amounts of money and have brought the business numbers of ROH far far beyond anything the company has ever come close to doing. What they are doing is working whether you like it or not and they aren't going to change it so the company can go back to drawing 200 people a show.

Maybe it's because they both suck in ROH.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

You make good points, but that doesn't mean they aren't obnoxious, unfunny, and overhyped.  

• Like 2

It's possible to respect the Bullet Club's success and still not be a fan of their schtick.  Scurll doesn't do much for me (though I have enjoyed some of his matches if he's in there with the right opponent) but I like the Young Bucks when they're actually wrestling.  When 3/4 of their average match consists of them dominating their opponents to get their shit in, most of which is a bunch of comedy spots, it gets old really quick.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Maybe it's because they both suck in ROH.

I say they don't, and judging by business the vast majority of people agree with me.

• Thanks 1

The company averaged just over 1,100 fans a show last year, and that's including 3,500 during Mania weekend,  2,500 in Chicago and two crowds in Japan more than 100 over the average.

Sure, the crowds are an improvement, but when the average is only 1100 people, can we really say the vast majority agree with it?

The Attitude Era drew money, it fucking sucked.  The nWo drew money, if fucking sucked.  Bullet Club draw money, they fucking suck.  Large numbers of people have proven historically to have have real shitty tastes in what they like they'll spend money on.  Group mentality's are often incredibally stupid, see: America, The United States of/

What is good and what will draw can be mutually exclusive.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

The Attitude Era drew money, it fucking sucked.  The nWo drew money, if fucking sucked.  Bullet Club draw money, they fucking suck.  Large numbers of people have proven historically to have have real shitty tastes in what they like they'll spend money on.  Group mentality's are often incredibally stupid, see: America, The United States of/

What is good and what will draw can be mutually exclusive.  

The Attitude Era would be more correctly called the Steve Austin/Rock era. Those are the guys who drew the money, not Mark Henry going down on a transvestite or any of that bullshit. And those guys certainly did not suck. The early NWO was tremendous before the company wrecked the whole thing. And as I've said in a previous post the Bucks and Bullet Club have almost never failed to entertain me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Some people actually like psychology and aren't band wagon jumpers like others are.

Not ROH, but the Bucks just worked a twenty minute match based on working body parts that was psychologically as sound as you could possibly hope for about 13 hours ago.

50 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not ROH, but the Bucks just worked a twenty minute match based on working body parts that was psychologically as sound as you could possibly hope for about 13 hours ago.

Damn shame they choose to use their power for evil so much?

Just finished up all star weekend night 2 and their tag against Webster and Hawkins and that was such a fun blend of comedy in the first half and good wrestling in the second half. I love the Bucks. 

20 hours ago, sabremike said:

I say they don't, and judging by business the vast majority of people agree with me.

Blake Shelton has sold over 10 million albums, and his music still sucks ass.  America has shitty taste.

Most of Bullet Club are really good wrestlers when they tone down the unbearable shtick.  Unfortunately, they rarely do.

• Like 1

The Young Bucks--and BC in general--provide one of the more interesting real-world examinations of the agenda setting hypothesis going right now. That is, do they deliver Harlem Globetrotters level shtick in ROH because that's what the audience demands, or is the audience comprised of people who respond to that because that's what they provide? I don't pretend to have an answer, beyond the usually bland "some of both, probably." But as others have said, New Japan Bucks are really good, and really different. So even when the shtick wears out, I trust that they and the more talented riders of the current wave will be fine. (Or rich and retired, which is pretty good too.)