DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

Realistically, is there some kind of superworker out there right now that isn't already tied up with someone that would be a good choice? Who is the guy that has it all that could go from town to town and have good matches and cut good promos and draw money? I'm racking my brain and I can't come up with anyone.

Find someone that can only do one of those things, and it's still a step up from Aldis. Hell, put the belt back on Storm. At least people were invested in his story.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Find someone that can only do one of those things, and it's still a step up from Aldis. Hell, put the belt back on Storm. At least people were invested in his story.

If he is really gone from Impact, I'd go with Austin Aries.

• Like 2

Chances are the WWE throws a truckload of cash at him to be a mid-card wrestler which is why Billy moved him off the belt.  They should have kept it on Cody until they found another top indy guy.  Call Pentagon in and put the belt on him.

There is no real 'best' option out there but if you are looking to build the brand into something important, then name recognition is the most important thing right now.  You need someone to draw attention to the belt and give people a reason to care about the product.

What about John Morrison?  

• Like 1

Wish Cody had it a little bit longer and got some more defenses in before going back to square one and killing off the interest that drummed up. Agreed that Storm's reign was so much more fun. Seems like everything else on the card was kept short. I do love the idea of the 2019 Crockett Cup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If he is really gone from Impact, I'd go with Austin Aries.

Somehow I don't imagine Billy Corgan and Austin Aries would get along very well at all, due to the fact that they're Austin Aries and Billy Corgan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Chances are the WWE throws a truckload of cash at him to be a mid-card wrestler which is why Billy moved him off the belt.  They should have kept it on Cody until they found another top indy guy.  Call Pentagon in and put the belt on him.

There is no real 'best' option out there but if you are looking to build the brand into something important, then name recognition is the most important thing right now.  You need someone to draw attention to the belt and give people a reason to care about the product.

What about John Morrison?  

My first thought as the guy to go with was Pentagon. You know that the in-ring product will be good, you have a (relatively) big name to use as your marquee guy, the only hang up is the promo work, but really I have no idea, as I have only ever heard him speak Spanish. If he has a good command of English, you are golden. If not, you make some sort of reference to the fact that he wants his ringwork to do the talking, as he has "Cero Miedo" and will take on all comers and let challengers build the interest via their interviews.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Somehow I don't imagine Billy Corgan and Austin Aries would get along very well at all, due to the fact that they're Austin Aries and Billy Corgan.

I would imagine Corgan would have pushed Aries hard if he was around when it looked like Billy was going to get the company.

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would image Corgan would have pushed Aries hard if he was around when it looked like Billy was going to get the company.

Oh, I agree. Aries seems like the kind of wrestler Corgan would really like. But Corgan barely seems to get along with his friends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

My first thought as the guy to go with was Pentagon. You know that the in-ring product will be good, you have a (relatively) big name to use as your marquee guy, the only hang up is the promo work, but really I have no idea, as I have only ever heard him speak Spanish. If he has a good command of English, you are golden. If not, you make some sort of reference to the fact that he wants his ringwork to do the talking, as he has "Cero Miedo" and will take on all comers and let challengers build the interest via their interviews.

I believe Pentagon speaks little to no English. Fenix speaks at least some, though.

Well lets be realistic. RoH wants Cody, NJPW probably still does as well for their USA shows and WWE probably wouldn't mind getting him back. And I'm sure that lots of indies are interested in booking him. Point is, Corgan can't really compete with that for an extended period of time. This short run probably became reality because Cody felt like it was big enough moment for him at All In and now he is ready to move on to other things that are likely more profitable and will keep raising his profile.

And well, it is not all bad. Cody introduced Mack to wider audience, even if their match in my opinion sucked. And now Mack got the secondary title. So his run wasn't completely pointless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Web Conn said:

Billy Gunn, NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

I like how that sentence sounds.

No.  I could do without hearing the potential "NWA stands for Needs More Ass!" promos from World Champion, Billy Gunn.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...