DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

So I love Cody Rhodes: great look, solid promos, excellent presentation, balls of steel for working with the Bucks to put on All In...

...and then he hits the ring and MEH. That match with Willie Mack was not a strong first title defense. Some of it was the fact that Mack was sloppy AF at the beginning, but that match took a long time to get decent, and some of the psychology was straight dogshit. Two stunners at the end that mean almost nothing? Fuck you.

He is not called *** general for nothing. Honestly part of the problem is that people expect long matches out of main eventers and while Cody's character works is great, he can't really do interesting match outside of smoke and mirrors. And well, longer the match the more obvious it gets.

If he ever went back to WWE, he probably would get short run as main eventer while interest would be there, but after few months he'd slowly move back to midcard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

So I love Cody Rhodes: great look, solid promos, excellent presentation, balls of steel for working with the Bucks to put on All In...

...and then he hits the ring and MEH. That match with Willie Mack was not a strong first title defense. Some of it was the fact that Mack was sloppy AF at the beginning, but that match took a long time to get decent, and some of the psychology was straight dogshit. Two stunners at the end that mean almost nothing? Fuck you.

He's best friends with the kings of doing shit that means nothing. (Remember the dragon suplex table spot in the US title match between Omega and Ishii? The match continued for almost 20 minutes after that.) So it's not too surprising that his matches are full of wasted spots.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

He's best friends with the kings of doing shit that means nothing. (Remember the dragon suplex table spot in the US title match between Omega and Ishii? The match continued for almost 20 minutes after that.) So it's not too surprising that his matches are full of wasted spots.

We had a discussion with our local rookies here in the Okanagan, and I went on a bit of an old-man tirade about the "American Indie Style" and how it's just basically spots for the sake of spots to end up as a GIF on Twitter that maybe Jim Cornette will bitch about so you can go viral, with no psychology and little-to-zero selling. But it sells out arenas and the top guys are making six-figure incomes without needing the WWE, so what the fuck do I know?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Archibald said:

He is not called *** general for nothing. Honestly part of the problem is that people expect long matches out of main eventers and while Cody's character works is great, he can't really do interesting match outside of smoke and mirrors. And well, longer the match the more obvious it gets.

Woaaaaah.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/1/2018 at 1:28 PM, Web Conn said:

If anything Juice should have done a year in ROH as US Champ defending the title in the US and doing the Big shows in Japan. 

More NWA 70 news: so far Colt Cabana, Scorpio Sky, Mike Parrow (idk who he is), Jay Bradley and Sam Shaw have been announced for the National Heavyweight tournament.

And also Jazz will be defending the NWA Womens Championship

Man, Jazz does not look like she's aged a day since she was in WWE

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 7:24 AM, Marty Sugar said:

...and then he hits the ring and MEH. 

He wrestles like crop that came out of Deep South in the mid 00's with that basic cookie cutter style like Debiase jr and Miz with the same bland finishers the were recycled through the years. I always thought he'd been alot better if he started out touring Japan first or the indies. He's out of that WWE developmental mold that limits him. If he started a few years earlier Dusty probably would have had him touring Zero-1 a few times.  He has improved a lot since being on the indies and Japan. He kinda reminds me of when Cornette would bring in Former WWE guys to ROH, was weird seing guys try to work the WWE tv style against indies guys

• Like 1

Corgan has an interview with the Masked Man up on The Ringer. Maybe the most interesting bit:

And look, we’ve had plenty of discussions with WWE as well over the past year. The door’s open to them. I mean, we’re more than willing to try to hook up what we’re trying to do with what they’re trying to do. ‘Cause at the end of the day, they’ve now built a network. And we look at them as a network like you would look at Turner or ESPN. If they want more content, let’s call it third-party content. Not under the WWE umbrella, but third-party content that you would lease to them. I mean, we’re more than willing to talk about those things, ‘cause as far as we’re concerned, they’re in the wrestling business. And they’re a network.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Nick Aldis defeated Cody in a 2 out of 3 falls match to regain the NWA world heavyweight championship. I guess there was no other choice given Cody's commitments with ROH and New Japan, but this feels like a major step back for Corgan's NWA.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Super Ape said:
  Hide contents

Conglaturation, NWA. Way to go back to the Bram-defending confirmed non-draw. They couldn’t squeeze Tim Storm in there somewhere?

Spoiler

Make it a three way dance. Aldis vs. Storm vs. Jocephus

Audio problems aside (did they only have one microphone for everyone to share?), I thought it was a decent little show. I was surprised Samuel Shaw won his match and I've actually liked Shaw since he was in TNA. I figured Scorpio Sky or Colt Cabana would have won the first match. But I picked Willie Mack to win the National title and I'm glad he won.

Cody/Nick was a fine 2/3 falls match. I was kinda surprised that Nick won back the title, but it makes sense if they do a huge rematch at maybe ROH Final Battle or something big in England for Aldis. 

Realistically, is there some kind of superworker out there right now that isn't already tied up with someone that would be a good choice? Who is the guy that has it all that could go from town to town and have good matches and cut good promos and draw money? I'm racking my brain and I can't come up with anyone.

There are a couple dudes that have one piece of that puzzle, but no one jumps out at me as the complete package.

15 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Realistically, is there some kind of superworker out there right now that isn't already tied up with someone that would be a good choice? Who is the guy that has it all that could go from town to town and have good matches and cut good promos and draw money? I'm racking my brain and I can't come up with anyone.

There are a couple dudes that have one piece of that puzzle, but no one jumps out at me as the complete package.

Austin Aries sitting on Harry Smith's shoulders. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2