DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

If all you see is color from city girl Brandi Rhodes working on Aldis' horse farm then that's on you.  It's not like she would be dressed like Aunt Jemima.  Mary Poppins, of course.

"Ah, beautiful animals aren't they?  You know how they stay so lean?  They poop a lot!  Now take this [hilariously large shovel] and get those stalls cleaned out and you best be quick about it cause you need to get my son ready for school in an hour.  I take my son's education very seriously.  As a father, the last thing I want is for my son to ever wind up in a Hot Topic spending his last $20 on a Bullet Club shirt so he can beg for a "Too Sweet" on the internet."

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wrestling/nwa-hold-70th-anniversary-show-october-264446

nwaanniversary.jpg

The National Wrestling Alliance will be celebrating its 70th anniversary with an event in Nashville, Tennessee later this year.

It was announced today that the NWA will be holding a 70th Anniversary Show at the Asylum at the Nashville Fairgrounds on Sunday, October 21. The event is in conjunction with Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Entertainment and will air live on Fite TV.

The NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship will be defended in the main event, and the NWA National Championship is returning with a new champion being crowned at the show. Nick Aldis currently holds the NWA World title and will defend it against Cody Rhodes at All in on September 1.

The NWA noted that more information on matches, talent, ticket prices, and the price for the show on Fite TV will be announced in the coming weeks.

Billy Corgan purchased the NWA last year, and much of the brand's focus since then has been on digital content with their "Ten Pounds of Gold" YouTube series.

“It’s such an honor to be leading this historic brand into its next chapter,” Corgan said. “The enduring legacy of the National Wrestling Alliance -- the men who forged it and the champions who defended it -- illuminate our path in 2018. This event celebrates our first full year shepherding this brand while honoring the everlasting milestones, legends and champions of the NWA.”

The first official NWA show under Corgan? 

6 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Cody is so winning the belt.  

How did Jarrett work his way into this program?  Did he promise them AAA talent?

Nope. Just global force gold

• Haha 3

Billy Corgan and Jeff Jarrett are back working together, as they have announced an NWA and Global Force Entertainment co-promotion on Sunday, 10/21 in Nashville at the Fairgrounds, will be a FITE TV iPPV. Jarrett is planning on doing a regular series of FITE TV shows where he would book indie names as the main events and use local wrestlers in that region underneath. The show is being billed as the NWA’s 70th anniversary show. While the NWA name was used by Pinky George for his promotion based out of Kansas City in the 40s, the more famous version of the NWA was born in 1948 in Waterloo, IA in a meeting of several promoters including George, Sam Muchnick (who at the time was the weaker No. 2 promote in St. Louis battling the promotion supposedly run by Martin Thesz, Lou’s father, although it was really Lou but the public couldn’t know that Lou was both world champion and the promoter), George, Tony Stecher of Minneapolis and Al Haft. The NWA title will be in the main event of the show, so that’s likely either Nick Aldis or Cody. They will also be recreating the NWA National heavyweight championship on this show

All NWA Champions besides the World Title have been vacated. I would have been terrified asking Jazz for the women's championship.

I Wonder which championship North American or Natural Heavyweight Jarrett walks out with. 

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

All NWA Champions besides the World Title have been vacated. I would have been terrified asking Jazz for the women's championship.

I Wonder which championship North American or Natural Heavyweight Jarrett walks out with. 

How about creating a vanity title just for Jarrett? The NWA Global Gold championship. He never has to defend it, just walk around with it on, and maybe try to scam people into buying tiny amounts of gold and the leftover 8×11's of his wife.

• Like 1

a year ago at this time, the world champion was a local guy only hardcores heard of in Tim Storm having feuds with guys like Jocephus who was equally unknown.  Now we have Cody Rhodes as the world champion.    Whatever you think of the Bullet Club or all this ALL IN stuff or whether Cody is overrated or now,  going from Storm to Rhodes is like going from meatloaf to prime rib.   

Now the question is how do you have Cody as an NWA champion when the NWA is probably #3 on his  priority list. Maybe even #4 depending how long term this ALL IN thing is

36 minutes ago, hammerva said:

a year ago at this time, the world champion was a local guy only hardcores heard of in Tim Storm having feuds with guys like Jocephus who was equally unknown.  Now we have Cody Rhodes as the world champion.    Whatever you think of the Bullet Club or all this ALL IN stuff or whether Cody is overrated or now,  going from Storm to Rhodes is like going from meatloaf to prime rib.   

Now the question is how do you have Cody as an NWA champion when the NWA is probably #3 on his  priority list. Maybe even #4 depending how long term this ALL IN thing is

I think this comes down to Corgan and what sort of relationship, financial and otherwise, he develops with Cody. Depending on the vision, the money, the video production, the time commitment, this could become a #1 priority for Cody. Or this could have just been a moment to give the fans something memorable for the show and give a boost in the arm for the title and they'll be moving on shortly.

The title doesn't really need to be defended that often. This isn't like when the NWA champ needed to go from territory to territory every week. There is no territory system, and there is no NWA organization. The title will mean more if they're more selective of when they put the belt on the line. Let Cody defend at the same pace as the IWGP champion typically does.

The real issue is finding opportunities to defend the title that won't make Cody look too minor league. I wonder if New Japan is open to reestablishing a relationship with the NWA? Though they probably have too many singles belts as is...

I think it'll be real interesting to see how Juice vs. Cody for the IWGP US title at Long Beach in less than a month goes down now. The way they booked Juice in the G1 signified to me that they were going to give him a lengthy vengeance tour, avenging the numerous losses he incurred in the tournament. I can't see him beating the newly minted NWA champion now but a loss here would also undo so much of the progress he's made the past two years. 

I'm mildly interested in seeing where the NWA goes from here since Cody supposedly has an exclusive contract with ROH.  Putting the title on Cody is a smart move in theory, but I wonder if it won't backfire by either keeping the  belt from being on NWA shows (the NWA Hollywood show is still a thing, isn't it?) or making it seem like some minor title in ROH.  Also, who the hell can the NWA conceivably book right now who is a big enough name to credibly take the title off Cody?  I won't blame ROH or New Japan if they strongarm the NWA so Cody doesn't drop a fall to Nick Aldis or Colt.

Lol, remember when we had high hopes for Billy's NWA?  That seems like so long ago. It was last year.  We were all so young and naive.

I'm with Archibald, There's no way they don't do a rematch at the 70th Anniversary show ... unless Jarrett books himself in the main event against Cody.

I keed I keed.

In all seriousness if that 70th Anniversary show is under 20 bucks i'll purchase it from Fite. I'm interested to see how it goes. The first anniversary show in 10 years and the first actual NWA show under Corgan.

And it looks like they are going to be crowning champions on the show too.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I think it'll be real interesting to see how Juice vs. Cody for the IWGP US title at Long Beach in less than a month goes down now. The way they booked Juice in the G1 signified to me that they were going to give him a lengthy vengeance tour, avenging the numerous losses he incurred in the tournament. I can't see him beating the newly minted NWA champion now but a loss here would also undo so much of the progress he's made the past two years. 

If they really want to honor the legacy of the NWA champion facing a regional titleholder in his own promotion, a sixty minute draw--of which at least twenty is outright stalling--is the only way. Now, would it be any good? No. But would it reward the audience and boost Long Beach sales in the future? Also no.  

So, uh... I dunno. The dynamic will be weird too, as Cody, in front of that audience and post All In, is a massive babyface. And the match kinda needs him not to be. Neither guy is really equipped to work the kind of top guy versus top guy main event in New Japan's conventional style, so trying that could get ugly. But trying something else might no be what that audience is in the mood for. It's tricky all around. 

5 hours ago, Player One said:

I'm mildly interested in seeing where the NWA goes from here since Cody supposedly has an exclusive contract with ROH.  Putting the title on Cody is a smart move in theory, but I wonder if it won't backfire by either keeping the  belt from being on NWA shows (the NWA Hollywood show is still a thing, isn't it?) or making it seem like some minor title in ROH.  Also, who the hell can the NWA conceivably book right now who is a big enough name to credibly take the title off Cody?  I won't blame ROH or New Japan if they strongarm the NWA so Cody doesn't drop a fall to Nick Aldis or Colt.

Honestly, right now it's probably the best thing that NWA could have done with the belt.

Even before this, Cody as NWA Champ was the right decision- you have the legacy of the belt, but more specifically you have someone who promotions would love to book anyway, and not just "you're really booking the belt" like a lot of NWA's champs have been in the past.

If nothing else, this is probably the best way to rebuild the NWA: Rather than booking actual shows all the time, instead get a bunch of indy talents that'd be desirable to indy promotions under the NWA banner, book them out throughout the world with NWA-affiliated big matches. If you see some good talent on one of those indy cards, get them under the NWA banner as well, and slowly turn the indy scene into the new NWA territories while trying to build up enough talent to run your own NWA shows.

• Like 1

Thats why this 70th Anniversary show is so intriguing to me, Jarretts putting it on yes Corgan isn't financing or promoting it but I'd bet good money on Lagan being involved somewhat in the booking process. The big question to me is who do you put the secondary titles on?

If Tessa wasn't under an Impact contract I'd but that strap on her.

North American and Natural Heavyweight and Jr Heavyweight for that matter everyone i'd put that belt on is under MLW contract. Everyone is under contract right now to somebody. Just the nature of the business in today's age. 

I may get shit for this but I wouldn't be opposed to Billy and Austin Gunn as Tag Champs. Beats Tim Storm and Joesphus as tag champs who hate each other.

Jarrett was at All In I wonder if anyone got themselves booked on the 70th Anniversary show two nights ago.

6 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I'm with Archibald, There's no way they don't do a rematch at the 70th Anniversary show ... unless Jarrett books himself in the main event against Cody.

I keed I keed.

Cody vs Jarrett > Cody vs Aldis 2

6 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Neither guy is really equipped to work the kind of top guy versus top guy main event in New Japan's conventional style, so trying that could get ugly. 

I think Juice could pull it off. He had a pretty good G1. Cody is a little iffy.

He had a pretty good G1 but almost exclusively worked as the fiery babyface underdog. He wasn't out there in bomb fests or anything of that nature... except against SANADA and that was probably their worst non-Tama match of the tournament. The match is exciting because I don't know what to expect but in a way it's also terrifying because many of the avenues are pretty shitty in theory anyway. Same with outcomes.

The way they booked that match at All In, Aldis is definitely going to get a shot and probably at the anniversary show as mentioned. It'll be interesting to see what they can produce without any of the All In aura.

6 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Thats why this 70th Anniversary show is so intriguing to me, Jarretts putting it on yes Corgan isn't financing or promoting it but I'd bet good money on Lagan being involved somewhat in the booking process. The big question to me is who do you put the secondary titles on?

If Tessa wasn't under an Impact contract I'd but that strap on her.

North American and Natural Heavyweight and Jr Heavyweight for that matter everyone i'd put that belt on is under MLW contract. Everyone is under contract right now to somebody. Just the nature of the business in today's age. 

I may get shit for this but I wouldn't be opposed to Billy and Austin Gunn as Tag Champs. Beats Tim Storm and Joesphus as tag champs who hate each other.

Jarrett was at All In I wonder if anyone got themselves booked on the 70th Anniversary show two nights ago.

I thought most of the champions were fine as-is without just vacating everything (Barrett Brown as Junior, Jazz as women's, Kahagas as National, etc.) and it would've been cooler to just have whoever you want eventually beat them for the titles as they did with Tim Storm. I do think they'll at least use Barrett Brown if he doesn't end up signed elsewhere soon.

Do love the idea of Billy & Austin Gunn being used there, they were highlights for me at All In.