DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, mattdangerously said:

Why is this feud not over with yet?  Why is Billy spending time on this while completely ignoring the NWA tag titles?

The answer to this may involve compromising photos of someone that I do not wish to ever see the light of day.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, RIPPA said:

Basically Billy cuts a promo to promote a Smashing Pumpkins concert happening at the same time as the wrestling show his champion is wrestling on?????

I am genuinely surprised that we haven't seen James Iha and Darcy show up as members of the Board of Regents.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am genuinely surprised that we haven't seen James Iha and Darcy show up as members of the Board of Regents.

D'arcy is still on bad terms with Billy, but maybe Iha and Jimmy Chamberlain show up as board members.

If anybody cares, their current bassist is Jack Bates, who has played with Joy Division/New Order's, Peter Hook. I had to look that up.

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Between Kurt writing Live Through This and Melissa Auf der Maur, Hole was almost tolerable.

No way Kurt would have written songs like that and not kept them for himself. If anyone deserves credit for helping Courtney write, it's Eric Erlandson. 

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If anybody cares, their current bassist is Jack Bates, who has played with Joy Division/New Order's, Peter Hook. I had to look that up.

Jack Bates is also Peter Hook's son! I've seen them perform together, it's kind of adorable. Jack does a lot of the actual bass-playing because Peter can't sing and play at the same time.

Corgan's NWA is in the weird, unenviable position of having intriguing creative ideas, but not having the kind of wrestling talent it needs to really make them work, despite coinciding with a talent-rich boom period for independent wrestling. If the best you can do for a headliner in 2017-18 is Nick Aldis, that's pretty rough.

Not an original observation, I know. But it makes me wonder: who's the best person they could realistically get for that role? Is there anyone who stands out, who people think Corgan should be angling for?

8 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

Not an original observation, I know. But it makes me wonder: who's the best person they could realistically get for that role? Is there anyone who stands out, who people think Corgan should be angling for?

Cody is the best bet. If his ROH contract is too prohibitive, then I'd put the title on PCO, at least until the fanfare around his current run dies down.

• Like 1

If D-Bry does not resign and that’s a big of I’d put the belt on him wholeheartedly especially if he really does leave the machine and works that 3 way deal between ROH/New Japan/CMLL he’s been rumored to be considering he could defend the title in 3 different countries.

but that all depends on whether or not he resigns.

Cody works non ROH indies from time to time. I almost think Cody’s “exclusive” contract means he can’t work for any promotion with TV or Gabe. Cody would be the perfect NWA Champion like I have said before. He’s all over the place right now and the front runner of this indie wrestling boom.

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Given Cody’s Dusty tribute act, It would seem hard for him to pass up the chance to be nwa champ. And who has a better hook to be champ than Dusty’s kid? 

If Dustin came in as a face to challenge Cody if Cody ever won the NWA title while working heel, I'd probably lose my shit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Between Kurt writing Live Through This and Melissa Auf der Maur, Hole was almost tolerable.

At the Smashing Pumpkins show I went to last week Courtney Love was a special guest and did a few Hole song. And I know this will come as a complete and total shock to all of you but she was totally fucked up on pills/drugs/booze. At one point she pantomimed performing fellatio on Billy. Yeah.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

If D-Bry does not resign and that’s a big of I’d put the belt on him wholeheartedly especially if he really does leave the machine and works that 3 way deal between ROH/New Japan/CMLL he’s been rumored to be considering he could defend the title in 3 different countries.

I keep seeing this brought up yet I feel like I saw something about Bryan having already resigned sometime last month.

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I keep seeing this brought up yet I feel like I saw something about Bryan having already resigned sometime last month.

There were reports that went unconfirmed; now Meltzer's saying he hasn't signed, and that the Miz working it into his promos is an indication that people are unhappy. The thinking being: We cleared you so you wouldn't go elsewhere. So what gives?

Per the last weeks Observer:

Regarding Bryan and his contract situation, the company has taken him off some weekend shows to lighten his scheduled as he asked, and we figured they would so they are working with him on that. But he hasn’t agreed to a new deal at this writing

Meltzer mentioned on one of the radio shows that the WWE is clearly unhappy that he hasn't signed the new deal yet but they still are fully expecting him to stay

The big things for him seemed to be less dates and having a bit more power in his story lines. If they are giving him that I don't think he will leave. He didn't seem to want to leave when he mentioned this in an interview someone posted in last month's general thread.

Aldis is so heatless as champ.  Why show respect to Flip Gordon or Cody Rhodes?  He could've been cutting tons of promos about what geeks the Bullet Club fans are and how Cody is a loser who couldn't add the ROH belt to the pot and all he has to offer up is his stupid novelty ring for All In.  At least demand Cody put Brandi up for grabs for 30 days.  Then we could get vignettes of Brandi working on Aldis' farm and shining up the NWA belt while Aldis cuts promos on Cody for a show that is never going to happen cause Corgan's NWA is basically vaporware.  People clown on Jarrett for GFW but at least he really wanted to run a promotion.  I don't get Corgan's NWA at all.  You'd think someone that was going to throw a dude in a volcano would have some kind of creative vision but this DVD extra for a movie that's never coming out 10 Pounds Of Gold stuff is so dull.

Hey, remember when Austin Idol was Aldis' manager?  Not that I miss him but did he just disappear with no mention?

• Like 1