DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

12 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Supposedly, this is why he wasn't in the G1 last year. He'd have finished somewhat mid-table, with multiple clean losses, and ROH didn't love that. NWA might benefit purely from the exposure, but yeah, it could be an issue.

Well it is similar to Ellsworth situation I think, but instead of your promotion looking like a joke it might end up looking like bush league if your top guy ends up with something like 4 wins 5 loses in G1. This is really same reason why I wasn't big fan of NWA titles being showcased in NJPW few years ago. They were constantly having matches with Kojima/Tenzan/Liger and I love all of them (well I don't care much about Tenzan), but even then NJPW was clearly sending signals that they are past their prime and they were getting matches in the undercard for those NWA titles and IIRC almost every time NJPW guy lost it was protected loss via fuckery. It just made whole thing look irrelevant and I never felt like I needed to find more NWA content.

• Like 1

Aldis just missed one of the all-time great self-owns there. “Billy, you may be playing to 30-plus arenas, but I’ll be performing all over the world (in much smaller venues), facing hungry competition (because they’re relative no names, in many cases)...”

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Smashing Pumpkins touring with NWA is... something

I  want Billy vs. D'arcy in a cage match.

Billy talking about watching the NWA title being defended at 4 am in Malaysia made me think of this episode of Seinfeld where they're at a cockfight at 4 am.

• Haha 1

This made me explain all of this to my wife. She wouldn’t let “he’s touring again because he bought something stupid” stand without explanation after she brought up the tour (lamenting that the fifteen year old isn’t a Pumpkins fan).

• Like 1

I really hate David Starr's Apron DDT spot that he does in every match. This being wrestled face vs face was also kinda weird. This was pretty workaday stuff; I feel Magnus could at least work the legs/back or something if he's going to use that terrible elevated cloverleaf as his finish. Also, I question the long pants.

I had a thought earlier about something Billy and the new look NWA could do. They should bring back the Brass Knucks title. It randomly popped into my head earlier so i found a match on Youtube from the early 80's with Blackjack Mulligan. 

I mean, guys are gonna do their shitty garbage wrestling and stuff all over buildings. So why not make it an official title again. I can't see Josephus as World Champion, but I could see him as Brass Knucks Champion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I had a thought earlier about something Billy and the new look NWA could do. They should bring back the Brass Knucks title. It randomly popped into my head earlier so i found a match on Youtube from the early 80's with Blackjack Mulligan. 

I mean, guys are gonna do their shitty garbage wrestling and stuff all over buildings. So why not make it an official title again. I can't see Josephus as World Champion, but I could see him as Brass Knucks Champion.

I was thinking the very same thing.  Josephus's gimmick is tailor made for garbage wrestling and some back alley brawl formatted for YouTube can't be that expensive to produce.

I really like Josephus being a cross between Brusier Brody and Bray Wyatt. Josephus needs cult members to stalk Nick Aldis whereever he defends the title. Just keep Josephus from wrestling in pants that keep falling down.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This is my favorite squash match right now.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I really like Josephus being a cross between Brusier Brody and Bray Wyatt. Josephus needs cult members to stalk Nick Aldis whereever he defends the title. Just keep Josephus from wrestling in pants that keep falling down.

The only difference in gimmick is that the Moondragon Applewhite is the head of the cult instead of Jocephus.

It is like the reverse of Zodiac's gimmick from Stampede where the muscle gives the promos instead of the mind.

On 3/4/2018 at 4:46 AM, RIPPA said:

This video was 2-3 minutes too long, but it finally made me start to give a shit about Aldis. I related to a lot of the "false narrative" and being dismissed via word of mouth as something he wasn't, as that's plagued me for years here in B.C. Maybe there's hope for his reign, yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

This video was 2-3 minutes too long, but it finally made me start to give a shit about Aldis. I related to a lot of the "false narrative" and being dismissed via word of mouth as something he wasn't, as that's plagued me for years here in B.C. Maybe there's hope for his reign, yet.

I agree, and it's really unfortunate, because the stuff he starts to get into in the last 90 seconds or so is so powerful. All the "once it leaves my hands, no one is the champion." Really excellent line of thought, and could have made a bigger impact if that was the closing moments of a video cut down by even a minute or so.  I am not that keen on him in the ring, but all the character work in these videos is really working for me, and I too am coming around on caring about him.

• Like 1