DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

If there was ever a time to discuss this sort of thing on a wrestling board (and there isn't) it was in the Enzo thread and that's closed. Can't we get back to wondering how we went from somehow getting hyped for Tim Storm to Nick Aldis vs James Ellsworth? That's a lightning fast turn around.

I’ll just end it with this— its crazy to label someone based on an accusation that was never confirmed nor prosecuted. If nothing else, the Enzo text messages prove that. 

Bram has a great look and can be an awesome old shool monster NWA heel. My opinion of course.

40 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Can't we get back to wondering how we went from somehow getting hyped for Tim Storm to Nick Aldis vs James Ellsworth? That's a lightning fast turn around.

It is very weird for a few reasons. Obviously they're portraying Aldis as ducking legitimate competition, but: A) That was Ellsworth's angle with AJ already; B) AJ was established as a great wrestler to a degree Aldis isn't, and as such, can better afford matches that aren't trying to be conventionally good; C) We knew who AJ was ducking, so it put heat on his feud with Ambrose. Aldis seems to be in exhibition/touring mode, so who is he avoiding? It's a bit aimless. (It's also one match, I know, I know. But.)

Unless my eyes were deceiving me a couple days ago apparently Aldis is at some point going to face Tommy Dreamer.  That is of course if Tommy's tweets are to be believed.  And that somehow turned into a promise that if Tommy wins then Cody gets a shot.  I don't understand why they just don't book Aldis/Cody if they want to get him involved.  But Cody as NWA champ would be a surprisingly good way to add a little luster to the title.

As far as the Bram thing, three years after the fact it's hard to tell what's the truth anymore.

He was charged and the charges were dropped, he claims the accuser lied to sabotage his career and his life. He admits to being a shitty drunk who behaves stupidly (that thing in Japan in the convenience store freezer is a great example), but insists he never hit his spouse. The fact that his ex-wife is Charlotte Flair and the WWE kicked him to the curb and kept her...well, that doesn't give any answers, either.

The NWA is not really in a position to be picky. They kept the title on Tim Storm way too long and then swapped it to Magnus. You can go thru the post TNA years and there were some champions worse than Bram. I would say compared to Storm and Magnus, he is at worst a lateral move. 

Which seems like what Corgan is next to Tharpe and his predecessors. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 10:11 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Unless my eyes were deceiving me a couple days ago apparently Aldis is at some point going to face Tommy Dreamer.  That is of course if Tommy's tweets are to be believed.  And that somehow turned into a promise that if Tommy wins then Cody gets a shot.  I don't understand why they just don't book Aldis/Cody if they want to get him involved.  But Cody as NWA champ would be a surprisingly good way to add a little luster to the title.

I think it'd be tight if they can work out some kind of agreement where Aldis starts defending the NWA Championship on ROH shows leading to a title defense against Cody at Best in the World in June with Cody going over. They're not gonna do it but start it at Manhattan Mayhem with a defense against Jay Lethal, not the anniversary show but the TV Tapings the next day, skip SCOH but have him on the Pittsburgh, Columbus, West Palm and Lakeland April shows. I'd also have Aldis on the Best of the World Tours and then BOOM! Best in the World Aldis vs Cody. Cody wins the title defends it on every ROH show, indies and New Japan. Give Cody a year long reign. His Ten Pounds of Gold episodes could be really good. I am of the Cody can cut a promo camp.

• Like 2

Watched the actual match. It was what could be expected, really could have spent those 15 minutes doing something more productive, but oh well. Anyway, with how it was presented it didn't look like Aldis was ducking legitimate challengers or anything like that, it just happened because it happened. The way it looks to me they will try to present Aldis as a legitimate world champion who is asshole and doesn't mind taking short cuts if they present themselves.

Weird thing is that, at the current time, their match has 180k views (way more than anything else they have released) and their channel got few thousand extra subscribers. I don't have any idea if that is considered "good" conversion rate or not, but probably this thing did what it was supposed to do. I hope that this was one off thing to bring more eyes to NWA and Aldis doing his crusade thing and we will go back to "serious" stuff, but at the same time if something like Aldis/Bram gets 15k views then won't Corgan be tempted to go back to this well again? And if you drink one time too many from that well then, in my opinion, entire thing turns into shit and you can forget about being "legitimate" promotion.

It is still not clear what exactly they plan on doing further, but I'm not thrilled that Aldis will be the focus for at least next few months. I'd take another Storm/Jocephus "program" over that easily.

If Cody legitimately wants to be NWA champ, and he isn't contractually prohibited from accepting bookings from them, then I don't understand why he isn't the champ instead.  Sure, his availability would be more limited than Aldis, but that shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

• Like 1

The NWA seems to want to sabotage itself. Anytime they have a credible champion they seen desperate to get it back. I don't know why they were so desperate to get it back from Hashimoto in 02. Or Kojima a few years ago was a good fit. World title quality wrestlers that doesn't cause a double take. 

7 hours ago, Archibald said:

Weird thing is that, at the current time, their match has 180k views (way more than anything else they have released) and their channel got few thousand extra subscribers. I don't have any idea if that is considered "good" conversion rate or not, but probably this thing did what it was supposed to do. I hope that this was one off thing to bring more eyes to NWA and Aldis doing his crusade thing and we will go back to "serious" stuff, but at the same time if something like Aldis/Bram gets 15k views then won't Corgan be tempted to go back to this well again? And if you drink one time too many from that well then, in my opinion, entire thing turns into shit and you can forget about being "legitimate" promotion.

It's a good question. Obviously, in early 2018, Ellsworth is many (many) times (like ten times?) more important than the idea of the NWA championship. Is it worth scratching up the "legitimacy" thrust they're working on for that many extra eyeballs?

Realistically, they could have done that other ways and still gotten the hits, like having him second someone or be a special ref or what not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

If Cody legitimately wants to be NWA champ, and he isn't contractually prohibited from accepting bookings from them, then I don't understand why he isn't the champ instead.  Sure, his availability would be more limited than Aldis, but that shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I imagine that main problem might be money. Someone like Cody will want way more money than someone like Aldis (or Storm). After all we are not sure how much money Corgan really has and is willing to spend on NWA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Obviously they'd be, at best, Cody's third priority. And does Billy want his champion dropping multiple singles matches in the G1?

Supposedly, this is why he wasn't in the G1 last year. He'd have finished somewhat mid-table, with multiple clean losses, and ROH didn't love that. NWA might benefit purely from the exposure, but yeah, it could be an issue.

Regarding money: Corgan's doing a 36-date Smashing Pumpkins (3/4) reunion tour this year, so presumably he doesn't have quite as much money as he'd like, but is about to have a substantial bit more.