DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

9 hours ago, Thibs said:

Why? Because there isn’t a bunch of dives and “this is awesome” chants?

He’s doing a different product focusing on story and characters, instead of following the rest of the mark catering herd.

Well for one thing, the NWA sanctioned a title defense against Bram, aka the NXT washout, proven non-draw, and domestic abuser that half of the British indie scene is inexplicably dying on the hill for.

10 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

If only Jocephus' in ring ability matches his promo and character work, you could possibly build a promotion around him.

Well, yeah, but if he had a skill set you could build a promotion around, he'd probably get signed by a better promotion.

I kinda want to shrug the Ellsworth match off.  It makes sense if you book Aldis as a heel who says he'll be a fighting champion, then goes out and fights hand-picked tomato cans.  But I'm not going out of my way to watch an Aldis-Ellsworth title match.  I'm probably not watching the match if I accidentally stumble on it while surfing the internet.  At some point, Corgan has to not only pique people's interest; he has to convince them to stick around.  The video packages hooked me enough to give NWA a shot.  Everything since then has made me think I can tune this promotion out without missing anything.  

The other problem is that, so far, the NWA seems to be really small: Aldis, Tim Storm, Jocephus, and... ?  I get that he wants to focus on rebuilding the title then gradually expand the focus, but it seems more like he's booking one belt than an entire promotion.  At this rate, his audience will dissipate long before he adds tag teams and non-title feuds to the mix.

7 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Well for one thing, the NWA sanctioned a title defense against Bram, aka the NXT washout, proven non-draw, and domestic abuser that half of the British indie scene is inexplicably dying on the hill for.

Right because if you leave NXT you’re now a washout. Idk how many times that’s been debunked.

Not sure where he’s been put in a position to draw let alone been proven that he couldn’t.

The snowflake stuff is incredibly eye rolling. Do we really need to list the people in the biz who’ve committed similar offenses and been given more chances? People make mistakes.

The guy has enough attributes that it if used right, he can be an asset.

5 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

If only Jocephus' in ring ability matches his promo and character work, you could possibly build a promotion around him.

I really have no problem with his offense, but his selling could use some work since the NWA is all about hosses now and he just can't shrug off shots from guys like Storm or Aldis since everyone currently in the NWA is a contender and equally deserving of a title shot.

2 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Not liking spousal abuse= snowflake stuff

I liked you better when you were just TNA apologist guy.

Bringing up a false charge that was dropped = snowflake stuff.

But hey, I guess since accusations automatically = guilt, you can carry on acting like the morality police.

3 hours ago, Thibs said:

Right because if you leave NXT you’re now a washout. Idk how many times that’s been debunked.

He didn't say the guy was a washout because he left NXT. He said he was an NXT washout. And he's right. The guy got boozed up and decided to get physical with a L.E.O. That's textbook washing out. 

I know the charge was dropped, but I don't recall it ever being determined to be "false."

Domestic abuse charges get dropped all the time despite being factual. I was in a day programme with an ex-cop who wound up in hospital because he responded to a call about a husband abusing his wife and the WIFE hit the cop in the head with a brick rather than let him arrest her man.

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

I don’t recall it being determined to be true either.

And if you’re gonna try to stick that label on someone permanently you should make damn sure that its true. 

You might wanna check the last couple pages on the now-closed Enzo thread and see how cases like these tend to get handled.

42 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Do the people that get uppity about Bram get uppity when promotions book Sami Callihan or Jay Rios?

What did Sami Callihan do? Look at a women he wrong way at a stop light and get accused of harassment?

i also wonder if those same people are in favor of black balling Steve Austin from the business for his past indiscretions?

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

His ex-wife, Chrissy Rivera, accused him of domestic abuse.

Well, Callihan is somewhat of an internet favorite so obviously there won’t be the same level of fake outrage in that case.

Was there any other proof other than the accusation? Was he prosecuted?

Victims often initially attempt to rationalize what happened to them or otherwise behave erratically immediately following severe trauma. Who knew? Anyway, she didn't talk/dress/act/report/etc like an "ideal victim" is a shitty, shitty road to go down, and we're not going to solve for the burden of proof in domestic violence and/or rape cases on a pro wrestling message board. This is a deeply complicated issue that the legal system struggles with, and our scummy little favorite entertainment medium of course has no idea how to go about it. I'm not going to pretend I have solutions to all or any of it, but... I think it's fair to suggest NWA is dumb for using Bram, all things considered, which is what this conversation was about in the first place.