DVDVR Message Board

2018 NWA THREAD (the Billy Corgan one)

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I'm sure the Mike Rapada years are fascinating.

I had the privilege(?) of seeing one of his defenses, against Preston Quinn. Nothing says World Champion quite like a guy who's appearance screamed "dollar store Kerry Von Erich".

58 minutes ago, twiztor said:

been searching for Sabu vs Mike Rapada and been coming up empty. Anybody have a lead? were the matches even recorded? Happened in NWA Florida in late 2000.

A quick YouTube search led to nothing but I did discover Steve Corino defending the NWA Championship against Sabu in the Summer of 2001

• Like 1

yeah i saw that too. Corino played the part of regional NWA champion pretty good. Defended all over the place. i've read he hated doing it because he took more bookings, got paid less, and had more promoters try to screw him over while he was champ. freaking ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I wish full length footage of Harley Race vs Tommy Rich existed. 

This probably exists in their reels

Boesch @ Houston, TX – Sam Houston Coliseum – March 26, 1982
The Grappler d. Tom Jones
Hacksaw Duggan d. Terry Gibbs
Tully Blanchard d. Frank Monte
Wayne Farris fought Chavo Guerrero to a draw
Dick Slater d. Bob Sweetan by DQ
Canek d. Gino Hernandez
AWA World Heavyweight Title: Nick Bockwinkel © d. Tommy Rich

On 1/28/2018 at 10:29 AM, Web Conn said:

A quick YouTube search led to nothing but I did discover Steve Corino defending the NWA Championship against Sabu in the Summer of 2001

In 2000-2001 I had stopped going to local ECCW shows in Nanaimo because they were really underwhelming. I missed the Corino/Sabu match in Nanaimo which I kick myself for...but only for missing Corino, as Sabu was fucking fall-down drunk, IIRC. I would also miss the night that Johnny Canuck would get lit on fire by Juggernaut, and shit got out of control in a hurry.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:46 PM, BEN! said:

I can at least buy Rapada as champ cause he was at least always pushed as a main eventer in Tennessee.  He's kind of like Tommy Rich without the charisma.

I used to see fliers in Lebanon advertising Rapada defending the North American title at the local Armory. I’m pretty sure this was around 2000-2001, and I want to say Sabu was at least on one of these cards (if not wrestling Rapada). I know they faced each other in Nashville for the Heavyweight title a few times.

Sabu beat Rapada in Florida for his only reign.  Rapada won it back in Nashville.

Looking at the title history on Wikipedia, I was surprised that Rapada won his first in Florida.  Also, that he had it twice.  Those post-WCW/pre-TNA years look a lot better in hindsight given what was to come post-TNA.  Four years of Dan Severn comes off more legit than five Adam Pearce reigns.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, Web Conn said:

I’ve watched that match on YouTube, Rapada does bare resemblance to Kerry Von Erich

I was sitting just out of camera view during this match. 

Spoiler

If you hear an audible shout of "THIS IS BULLSHIT~!" when Rapada pins PQ after the match is restarted, that came from me.

• Like 1