DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

I had assumed that Pursuit was the hunting channel at the end of the 1600 block on U-verse but that's a different one. Pursuit is right next the BTN for me so I've probably skipped over it a bunch of times. I'll set the DVR and probably watch it on Saturday mornings.

It would be really hard to imagine Impact surviving a successful launch of All Elite Wrestling, if it hadn't survived everything else.

But still, with apologies to the wrestlers who feature (who are trying), the show feels less relevant than ever. It was more relevant when it was comically bad and we could enjoy shitting all over it.

On 12/23/2018 at 6:03 AM, AxB said:

There has been some suggestion that youtube is at some point going to release all the ytRed exclusives onto the free bit of the website. So presumably nobody watches them. Premium is just for people who are happy to pay money to not have to click 'Skip Ad' every few minutes, and there's not that many of them.

I'm one of them. I watch more content on YouTube than anything except probably NBCSN/Gold. 

Supposedly on Killing The Town podcast Callis said that Impact now will be even "edgier, hardcore and sexier". And I wonder what does that mean exactly and how they can get even more edgy and hardcore without turning into complete train wreck. Not even going to think about what he means by saying that it will be sexier.

6 hours ago, Archibald said:

Supposedly on Killing The Town podcast Callis said that Impact now will be even "edgier, hardcore and sexier". And I wonder what does that mean exactly and how they can get even more edgy and hardcore without turning into complete train wreck. Not even going to think about what he means by saying that it will be sexier.

With it being on Pursuit I can see Scarlet having a segment talking about guns.  That'll do the trick.  Or take the guns out and give us more Scarlet which I'm quite okay with.

On the one hand I can see why they'd try an edgier approach considering despite their best efforts the viewers are not coming in.  But if good wrestling and storytelling takes a back seat to doing edgier stuff then they're going to be in for worse times than they imagined.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, odessasteps said:

I'm one of them. I watch more content on YouTube than anything except probably NBCSN/Gold. 

Same here. Youtube on roku is my channel surfing when I don't have something else in mind. Plus, the premium comes with ability to play in background on my phone, as well as ability to download for offline listening. I use all of these things plus the music features. 

• Like 1

If the Briscoes weren't seemingly locked into ROH for life, they'd be perfect for Impact on Pursuit. You could go a couple ways with the Briscoes. They could be good 'ol boys like Bo and Luke with Scarlett as their Daisy Duke, or go the Deliverance route and Grado is made to squeal like a pig. Oh, the missed opportunities. Col. Parker and his MLW Stud Stable could also work. Plus, you have the added bonus of Bunkhouse Buck's much anticipated return.

• Haha 3

On 12/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, odessasteps said:

Same here. Youtube on roku is my channel surfing when I don't have something else in mind. Plus, the premium comes with ability to play in background on my phone, as well as ability to download for offline listening. I use all of these things plus the music features. 

Looks like I won't be able to keep DVR'ing this show on youtube TV. 

It might have bought Impact if I was All Elite. Not for the TV cuz you'd almost be better off not being on cable. Prime Video has been experimenting with wrestling, they've had success with the Thursday Night Football live streams. Why not live stream a two hour wrestling show on Tuesday or Wednesday. But I would buy Impact just to have a skeleton roster while trying to sign other talent. 

• Like 1

Yikes, if they are trying to unload IMPACT they may as well just take whatever pennies Vince offers them for the video library and call it a day. It would be one thing if they still had any sort of relevant American TV clearance as a bargaining chip, but without that, I literally do not see anything left worth shelling out any cash for. 

If there was any talent that All Elite wants to grab, they are probably better off just waiting to see if Impact folds and then snatch up the couple scraps that would be free agents if that happens. 

I could also see WWE not wanting to touch anything while the Jarrett lawsuit is still pending, so that right there may make a sale of even the video library out of the question. 

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

If there was any talent that All Elite wants to grab, they are probably better off just waiting to see if Impact folds and then snatch up the couple scraps that would be free agents if that happens. 

There's plenty of talent worth signing. I definitely wouldn't call Impact's roster scraps. They put together a really nice collection of talent and the company FINALLY felt like they weren't trying to be a second rate WWE.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's plenty of talent worth signing. I definitely wouldn't call Impact's roster scraps. They put together a really nice collection of talent and the company FINALLY felt like they weren't trying to be a second rate WWE.

Yeah, you're right, using the word "scraps" was a bit harsh. I was more or less just trying to make the point that if there are IMPACT roster members that All Elite are eyeballing, they are better off gambling that the day will come that IMPACT finally goes out of business instead of spending money to buy the company itself to acquire that talent.

Coming out of tonight's Best Of episode, Impact's top 5 matches of 2018:

5. Tessa Blanchard vs. Taya Valkyrie (Bound for Glory)
4. Austin Aries vs. Fenix vs. Pentagon Jr. (Redemption)
3. LAX vs. OGz - 5150 Street Fight (Slammiversary)
2. Austin Aries vs. Johnny Impact (Bound for Glory)
1. Sami Callihan vs. Pentagon Jr. - Hair vs. Mask No DQ Match (Slammiversary)

I was glad to see Aries/Johnny included, as post-match aside, that really was a hell of a match. They went with all PPV matches but I would've included a couple of my favorites from TV, Taiji Ishimori vs. Dezmond Xavier from 1/18 was a real underrated gem and the oVe v. Fenix/Pentagon/Swann match from 7/12 would be near the top of my list. But it really was just an all-time great year for Impact overall so I hope 2019 delivers similarly.