DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's not on Optimum either, which I have.

Now, this might be a dumb question. Anthem owns the Fight Network and Impact, so why wouldn't Anthem air new Impact's on the Fight Network? They air older TNA shows and best of's. Not to mention also airing Smash Wrestling, Championship Wrestling fron Hollywood, and Fighting Spirit Wrestling, which shows matches from New Japan and AAA. They used to also air British Wrestling Weekly and Scotland's ICW.

Fight Network is Canadian

This is US broadcasting rights

• Thanks 1

It's as if someone from IMPACT stumbled across the RDR2 threads on a wrestling message board and were like "Well THERE is our untapped wrestling/hunting enthusiast demographic!" and just went for it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Fight Network is Canadian

This is US broadcasting rights

Fight Network is in US too. I have it. About the only difference between Canada and US is that the UFC programming is only shown in Canada, and usually is replaced in the US with some old TNA stuff. Since Anthem owns everything it does make sense to be on FN too.

• Like 1

I think Cox Cable has 2 or 3 outdoor channels and I don't think Pursuit is one unless it is being renaned

Correction I get it.  Now I look forward to watching Don Callis wear an Elmer Fudd hat right on the tip of his head for 4 months.   But I will miss him talking about his love of Swedish Dicks 

3 hours ago, CSC said:

It's as if someone from IMPACT stumbled across the RDR2 threads on a wrestling message board and were like "Well THERE is our untapped wrestling/hunting enthusiast demographic!" and just went for it.  

This, plus the bear hat in your av really puts it all together. It's like you were the reason IMPACT is now on a hunting channel. Super great.

So Impact went hunting for a new deal...

Found a huntining channel...

Now to watch it one must hunt for said channel...

Triple Hunter? Well played Impact. Very meta.

In all seriousness though, they almost had a full calendar year of goodness with very little crazy stuff going on.  It’s like they are contractually obliged to do something bonkers that blows everyone’s mind.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Per the WON

Impact Wrestling announced its move to the Pursuit Channel this morning, leaving Pop TV with the expiration of the current contract.

It was known that Impact was looking elsewhere for a new home for months. The bad news is that it will remain in the 10 p.m. to midnight time slot and move to Fridays, the same time slot that led to a huge decline in ratings on Pop TV, but on a significantly worse night for viewing, and on a much lower rated station.

Impact will debut on Pursuit on Friday, January 11.

Pursuit is a hunting/outdoors channel that Anthem Entertainment owns a significant minority ownership in. It has been around since 2008 and is carried as Ch. 604 on DirecTV and Ch. 393 on Dish, as well as 1644 on AT&T and 818 on Verizon FIOS.

It is considered as a sister station of The Fight Network, which Anthem owns.

Essentially Anthem put the show on its own channel, and not even in a strong time slot.

Pursuit only started subscribing to Nielsen in the early part of this year. However, in listings of even minor stations when it comes to homes cleared, it is not listed.

Impact lauded Pursuit as the most widely distributed outdoor network and one of the fastest growing channels in the country.

"Pursuit Channel is a natural fit for Impact," said Ed Nordholm, president of Impact Wrestling. "It has a passionate viewership base that correlates strongly with our core audience, and is one of the few broadcast destinations that is expanding its footprint, enjoying a 15 percent increase in distribution this year alone. With Impact Wrestling coming off a tremendous year of audience growth globally and positive fan engagement, we look forward to leveraging our respective resources to bring fans more of the wrestling content they want to see: Tougher, edgier action."

Impact will air the next two weeks on Pop, December 27 and January 3, in its normal time slot.

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1034885-impact-wrestling-new-tv-deal-details

Mike Johnson of PW Insider reports that IMPACT Wrestling‘s new television deal with Anthem‘s Pursuit Channel will not be an exclusive deal. According to Johnson, “The Pursuit move is being seen as a way for Impact to take a breather and not have to worry about where the show will air as they still try to pursue a larger scale deal.  With Anthem having interest in Pursuit, it was an easy move for the series to make and should Impact find a more beneficial network, home, they would have the ability to shift the series elsewhere.  If that happens (and of course, it’s a big if), Pursuit has already shown interest in carrying other Impact programming, including potentially Xplosion or a Best of series. The network is happy to have Impact, feeling that their audience demographic would also want to watch pro wrestling.”

Johnson adds that IMPACT Wrestling saw changes at POP (rebranding and a shifting television lineup) as potential trouble and decided to leave on their own and retain a positive relationship with the company in lieu of getting pulled from the network altogether. Johnson also notes that Impact will likely move to Fridays at 10PM on the Fight Network in Canada. There are no current plans to air replays on Pursuit HD. Johnson notes, “Impact realizes that the move to Pursuit will see them lose a portion of their former viewership and while some in the company are spinning this as a positive, others are not as happy, feeling it was another step downward in prestige. The company is working on potential ways for the Impact Wrestling weekly series to be seen on digital platforms, but nothing has been worked out as of this writing.”

Sounds to me like POP didn't want them around any longer and they jumped to whatever obscure channel they could find before POP dumped them. I guess it makes some sense. For past X years one of the main arguments for Impact was that it has TV deals. If they start losing TV deals then what do you have left?

For starters, unless you're WWE, YouTube completely changed how wrestling is monetized on their website. Secondly, there's no chance in hell it would even be a YouTube Premium/Red series because there's probably too much negative stigma attached.

Twitch would be even worse.

So while this channel is dogshit, it's better than YouTube and Twitch at least.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

For starters, unless you're WWE, YouTube completely changed how wrestling is monetized on their website. Secondly, there's no chance in hell it would even be a YouTube Premium/Red series because there's probably too much negative stigma attached.

Twitch would be even worse.

So while this channel is dogshit, it's better than YouTube and Twitch at least.

There has been some suggestion that youtube is at some point going to release all the ytRed exclusives onto the free bit of the website. So presumably nobody watches them. Premium is just for people who are happy to pay money to not have to click 'Skip Ad' every few minutes, and there's not that many of them.

I have to question whether whatever money they're getting from this deal (assuming they're getting any) is worth the stigma of being on an even more downmarket version of Destination America. Gaining a following on Youtube or Twitch would give them cachet that could lead to a stronger TV deal, given how desperate networks seem to be for content with proven ability to draw eyeballs. Being on Pursuit Channel brands them as hillbilly shit that no mainstream outlet will touch with a ten-foot pole. Also, that network seems to have an outdated view of the demographics of wrestling fans. Most hardcore fans aren't rural white Southerners. I can't imagine too many New Japan World subscribers tuning in to Impact and sticking around for Southern Hog Slayers.

• Like 1